Quantcast

So how many of you will be on 27.5(650b) for 2015??

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There's no disputing that 27.5 is faster. Just ride one on familiar trails to see for yourself.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Please show me ONE test that shows that larger wheels on a MTB are faster and that is up to scientific standards. As far as I know none of the bike companies ever published anything scientific on their "testing that showed how superior larger wheels are".
I wish I could, but I haven't seen one

49%

Chimp
Feb 8, 2015
I love that wheel rage is actually a real thing :D

Well, I bought a 27.5 strictly to stay fashionable, and because the salesmen told me to.

But I must say now that I've had it up on the home range, there may be something mildly sparkly and magicky going on down there. I've been riding the same unimaginative trail loop for 15 years, and CHANGE IS BAD is my motto. Honestly I've mostly hated all changes to bikes after they went away from dual crown forks (fork rage!) and 26" wheels. But 650b...maybe not so bad.

26" suks! Meltdown all the 29ers in lava!! Aaaargh!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's no disputing that 27.5 is faster. Just ride one on familiar trails to see for yourself.
I've done exactly that, with a friend I know and ride with a lot. Faster in a straight line over mildly choppy things yes.

With truly rowdy things to bang into, not so much.

And noticeably slower in quick corners and anything that involves pumping transitions.

I've also ridden literally the same bike/build with both sets of wheels/forks. If the biggerz was any faster I couldn't tell by myself. They were more annoying in quick direction changes is what I noticed more than anything.

But they are not universally just "faster"

The strength and weight thing keeps me off of them more than anything though.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've done exactly that, with a friend I know and ride with a lot. Faster in a straight line over mildly choppy things yes.

With truly rowdy things to bang into, not so much.

And noticeably slower in quick corners and anything that involves pumping transitions.

I've also ridden literally the same bike/build with both sets of wheels/forks. If the biggerz was any faster I couldn't tell by myself. They were more annoying in quick direction changes is what I noticed more than anything.

But they are not universally just "faster"

The strength and weight thing keeps me off of them more than anything though.
Sacrilege :ban::wtf:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I was just trolling the thread, it was starting to die out.
This topic is far too important for that.

I find 27.5 faster on our rocky, rooty trails.
The wheels just don't get hung up as easily and the bike carries speed better as a result.

I don't notice much difference when turning, maybe because I expected something drastically different/worse.
This is my first bike with carbon wheels (enve) so maybe that helped.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was just trolling the thread, it was starting to die out.
My bad.

In that case, watch this:

What you say actually makes sense for the PNW. Most of those trails are so tight and slow that it's difficult to rely on momentum as much to smooth out rough terrain. It's a lot like what I like about 29ers.....it's not that they are a different universe in fast open stuff, it's that they keep rolling over wheel hangers at 3mph.

How's that? :brows:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In all seriousness I genuinely think it's a wash. Faster in some scenarios, slower in others with any wheelsize.

I just don't like adding weight to wheels. I haven't really seen enough of a definitive improvement with the biggers to justify it. I ride up in rooty loamy every summer in your relative hood, and can definitely see staying out of holes midly improving. Just mildly though. I've ridden both enough in things are just as rocky and pitted as the NW is rooty and pitted.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did any of you see the interview with Fabien Barel in Dirt? He told Steve Jones that 26ers are faster than 29ers. I think his words were along the lines "29ers keep their speed, 26ers create speed". Jones didn't like the topic at all. LOL

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
All the terrain I ride is tight, twisty, and rooty. When I got my 27.5 Bandit, I immediately noticed the positive aspects of the wheels rolling over stuff in techy terrain. One thing I did not want was a bigger ill handling bike like kidwoo was talking about. So, my 27.5 bike actually has a shorter chainstay, shorter wheelbase, lower bb, etc.. than the 26' sb66 that is was replacing. So, I feel like I am getting the benefits from the larger wheels, but my bandit is really easy to throw around and rail corners. I don't think I would be nearly as happy, if I went with a bigger longer 27.5 bike.
TLDR? I am an intelligent mother****er who makes sound decisions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am an intelligent mother****er who makes sound decisions.
Word. You and I should form a bicycle gang and beat up all the dentists who are buying longer reach/wheelbase bikes with bigger wheels and 800mm bars....... and then telling each other they just don't go fast enough to live up to their new bike's potential because they handle like shit when they try to turn them.