Quantcast

So how Much pressure does it take to blow a Tubeless tire clean off the rim ?

splat

Nam I am
So how Much pressure does it take to blow a Tubeless tire clean off the rim ? Well I'm not sure but it sure is quite the Boom! I had to go to work tonight , we were migrating an FTP server from My location ( mass ) to Lilse ,IL. and on the way there I needed gas. so I had put my wheel in the carsand planned to use the compressor at the gas station to get the tire to seat. well when I got there the I went over to put air in it , and the machine said out of order. so one of the pump jokckeys said O we can fill that for you. her took it inot the garae , and Procedded to fill it , he stopped , bounced the tire on the ground When Boom!!! and the tire was off of the rim!

J

JRB

I guess your rim wall folded too?? My money is on 50 - 60 lbs. I hurt my hand when I did it, so I hope everyone is ok. My garage was also covered in latex. It sucked.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I haven't seen a gas station that had a garage since I left NY.

I don't know what the actual pressure required but I've seen grown men practically wet themselves when a tire or tube blows up. With good reason I guess.

J

JRB

Check the rim closely. Even though I think you're an ass, I like you enough I don't want you hurt.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
hey i got my tubed tires up to 95 psi because thos mutha f 'ers wouldnt bead.
but i guess the worst was when i was spraying white lightning the whole top blew off and the whole bottle went everywhere, and everything within 10 feet of me turned white

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Brian HCM#1 said:
UST tire and rim or rim strips? I'
ve had them blow off several times with rim strips, never with a UST tire and rim.
You're not trying hard enough Brian.

Any tire (tubed or tubeless) set up with or without tubes can and will blow off the rim if it does not come up centered on the rim. We have something here we call the "bomb box" that we test tires in when do maximum inflation testing to keep the noise down. For that Maxxis tire on an CrossMax rim with rim strips my educated guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of 85psi assuming it was centered on the rim. Could have been as low as 35psi if it was not centered.