Quantcast

So I asked for a raise...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Dear all,

I asked for a raise and submitted a written justification two weeks ago and it still hasn't left my project director's desk. After her it goes to one VP, who then passes it on to another VP for a decision. Is this normal that a raise request take this long to process? I work for a private company. Seems like they are dragging their feet to save $. Anybody care to say what their turnaround time has been on a raise request?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I got a promotion with the promise of a raise 1+ month ago. I still havent' seen a penny of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I work for a corporation, you don't ask for raises. They have salary adjustments every 12-18 months. They are completely separate from our performance reviews. Have gotten good reviews and crappy raises as well has great raises with good reviews. It is all part of the smokey back room decisions that go on around here.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I got promoted earlier this year and it took 2.5 months for it to hit my paycheck.

I think managers drag their feet because they just don't think of it as a top priority.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
at my last job I got a rais and I diddn't see it in my check for about 3 months but the owner would just give me a wad of cash to offset but it was always way more than the rais (thats probably why the company went under)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I think managers drag their feet because they just don't think of it as a top priority.
Thats the part that bothers me.
I guess the quality of my work here isn't top priority either.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
IN PRISON you spend the majority of your time in an 8x10 cell.
AT WORK you spend most of your time in a 6x8 cubicle.

IN PRISON you get three meals a day.
AT WORK you only get a break for 1 meal and you have to pay for it.

IN PRISON you get time off for good behavior.
AT WORK you get rewarded for good behavior with more work.

IN PRISON a guard locks and unlocks all the doors for you.
AT WORK you must carry around a security card and unlock and open all the doors yourself.

IN PRISON you can watch TV and play games.
AT WORK you get fired for watching TV and playing games.

IN PRISON you get your own toilet.
AT WORK you have to share.

IN PRISON they allow your family and friends to visit.
AT WORK you cannot even speak to your family and friends.

IN PRISON all expenses are paid by taxpayers with no work required.
AT WORK you get to pay all the expenses to go to work and then they deduct taxes from your salary to pay for prisoners.

IN PRISON you spend most of your life looking through bars from the inside wanting to get out.
AT WORK you spend most of your time wanting to get out and go inside bars.

IN PRISON there are wardens who are often sadistic.
AT WORK they are called managers.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
1. I asked for a reise a while back... took about 2 weeks for the prez to call me in and discuss it. End result was, "I'll se what I can do"

2. About 2-3 more weeks passed and I got called in with an offer, I accepted it.

3. About a month and a half passed and it started showing up on my pay stub.

So from start to finish that adds up to a almost 2 months.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I haven't asked for a raise eventho I'm due and deserve one cuz it comes with a two hour lecture about me not doing enough around the company. Then me explaining how he doesn't let me... everytime time I get involved in something outside of my desk, he shows up and micromanages me until I walk away.

The tiny friggin' raise isn't worth that frustration.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
after 2weeks tops.. probably more like 1. I would re-approach your immediate boss and ask if there was any decision/progress in getting you that raise.

i happen to be very friendly with my boss and in 3 days i would ask him

Best of Luck!!!!!!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Greyhound said:
I haven't had a raise in three years. Is that bad? :think:
I'd request a raise if I were you... 3 years at a company is the beginning of a "career" with that company... you have to let them know that they need to show their appreciation for your time work by helping you raise your quality of life.

I've been at my company 4.5 years and I've had 2 raises... I had to ask for both of them. The first one was during year one when I was feeling underpaid so I told them that I needed a raise or I was going to have to go to another company, that bought me 4k a year. Then 3 years passed and I didnt get another raise so I wrote a letter saying that I was concerned about the amount of pay increases I have had during my time at the company, that got me another $2k a year.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
stosh said:
I got a promotion with the promise of a raise 1+ month ago. I still havent' seen a penny of it.
I got reclassified (local word often synonymous with propromotion) in August. Started the work in January. Still waiting on the paperwork and the pay. :mumble:

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I've had several raises at the job i'm at now and have never had to ask for one. My boss has always brought the topic up in a casual conversation and said it would be implemented on my next pay cheque (and it always is). My last raise I had to meet certain goals by a set date in order for it to be effective, but that was no problemo.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hmmm. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like my situation is not unusual. I'm asking for this raise because I got a promotion (to a position with waaaaay more responsibility) in July of last year, and it didn't hit my paycheck for four months. When it did, it was for a smaller percentage than what was originally quoted to me. Since then, the workload has increased significantly since last summer... the position has taken on much more of a management flavor... yet I'm only making about $1000 a year more than those in our office who just have to make xerox copies all day and so forth. Doesn't seem quite right. Although I'm not complaining too hard because I'm really happy to have a steady job. I'm thinking of buying a house one of these days, and I don't want to mess that up by seeming less than pleased about my salary!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Hmmm. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like my situation is not unusual. I'm asking for this raise because I got a promotion (to a position with waaaaay more responsibility) in July of last year, and it didn't hit my paycheck for four months. When it did, it was for a smaller percentage than what was originally quoted to me. Since then, the workload has increased significantly since last summer... the position has taken on much more of a management flavor... yet I'm only making about $1000 a year more than those in our office who just have to make xerox copies all day and so forth. Doesn't seem quite right. Although I'm not complaining too hard because I'm really happy to have a steady job. I'm thinking of buying a house one of these days, and I don't want to mess that up by seeming less than pleased about my salary!
Ugh I know what you mean. I hate asking for more money/benefits. I got some pretty good pay increases last year but got denied on more vacation time. Damn the man.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
it could be retroactive. if you get one @ my co. it is retro from your hire date.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Being in the union is so nice...... We bargained for 5 year contract but we too will have to wait for 2 years before we get our raises which will be one dollar an hour increase each year for the final three years. But the companies have to foot the bill for any health and welfare increases for the first 2 years.
Our package is about 34 dollars an hour with all the bennies, and we have a hearty pension plan. $25.62 is what we see on the check.
And i see post's from time to time saying unions suck.....

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i am in a union as well and have no say.Retro pay is the ****.
Suddenly you get a check for an entire year at a 3% or whatever increase and a check arrives......presto....bike parts.