Quantcast

So I bought a bike this weekend..!

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
I did A LOT of shopping around a research over the past couple weeks to figure out exactly what bike i needed. I came to the conclusion that the Diamondback Response Comp was the way to go. Its a hardtail XC bike with some pretty decent components, and not very expensive ($650 new). I wanted an '06 so I could save a couple hundred dollars, but the problem with that was nobody had any! I called everywhere, ALL of my local bike shops and ALL of the sports stores like Dicks and Sports Authority. I found one on Ebay, and after a bidding war I ending up winning for just over $500 including shipping. It should be here this week, hopefully.

My question now is, what should I be looking into and doing in the mean time before my bike gets here? And with the weather as cold as it is right now I wont be doing any real riding until it warms up a bit. Any thoughts?

Oh and BTW, thanks to everyone who spoke up on my last post. All of your comments were much appreciated. And if any of you live around Greenville SC let me know, I need to find some cool people to start riding with!!!

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
tiny little discs im just praying those are hydros or you'll never stop on a downhill and overheat your brakes in seconds and end up braking your neck

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
tiny little discs im just praying those are hydros or you'll never stop on a downhill and overheat your brakes in seconds and end up braking your neck
I strongly advise you not to try to answer any beginner questions. Your advice is extremely confusing, and we try avoid that in this forum.

On that note, those are stock 6 inch rotors found on all XC and most trail bikes. I run 6 inch rotors on most of my bikes. You should be fine.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Here's a pic!

That rulz, d00d.

Don't pay any attention to elf. His custom title says it all... (Read it....it's hilarious....)

Ride the crap out of it. When things start to wear out, just upgrade 'em. That fork might not, necessarily, wear out soon, but if you have the option (i.e. money...) search for an upgrade for it. That'll be one of the biggest difference makers in that particular bikes performance and ride pleasurability (<--- is that a word...???).

Cheers!!
-G

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA

You do realize mountain biking started years ago on bikes with coaster brakes right?

Then cantalever? Then V-brakes?

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Nice, go ride!
I'm always impressed at how easy some people think it is to overheat discs to the point of non-functionality... even with 'tiny little mechanicals' you get a lot of stopping done.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
Those are avid bb 5's...mechanical...I work at a shop that sells Diamondback. However, a decent set of brake pads will make a huge difference. Plus, if you're a smooth rider, you won't need the brakes quite as much anyway. They're actually pretty damn good as far as mechanicals go. I've been using a set of EBC's downhill pads on some hayes mechanicals, and honestly I think I get pretty good stopping power for what they are. Although I did swap out the rear rotor for a better one a while back. Congrats on the bike purchase, dont worry about other people's opinions on here too much either. To each his own.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
yes, mechs will be fine. I ran a dh race on some when I was waiting on my hydros. they did the job. then again i really didn't use them that much ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
yes, mechs will be fine. I ran a dh race on some when I was waiting on my hydros. they did the job. then again i really didn't use them that much ;)
I used to run mechanicals on my DH rig and it was fine...you need to know how & when to use your brakes effectively ;)

Congrats on the wheels....now, get some action photos up :thumb:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
thats why your time was 3 + minutes on a 2 minute course :)
actually yes, they worked so well that they threw me strait into reverse.

and no my time was actually closer to 2:30 (though somehow they had me down for a 9:32:27 on my second run)

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
put some lock on grips on there and it would be a little better it is a good investment and maybe some wheels and when you get better a new fork with more adjustments