Quantcast

So I broke the Yeti...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It took 2 years and a surprisingly low amount of miles, but I broke the frame on the Yeti. While riding with Tim and Toshi, the bike lost it's battle with a firmly planted rock, putting a dent into the chainstay. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop, who needs to hear back from Yeti, but I'm not confident that there will be any spare L/XL rear triangles for the SB66c. If they don't have one, then I have a currently rideable bike that will eventually fail. When that fail occurs, I will have a very good condition 26" build and a hard sale to Wifey to build a new bike. ie. Not likely to convince her to let me buy a new bike outright. I would most likely end up getting a used 26" frame and riding that until it dies.

So to the point: If you were buying a used 26" trail bike to replace the SB66c, what would you get?

Requirements:
Dropper post friendly
1.125/1.5" head tube
Wookie long TT
5-6" travel
Gravity happy, but can still pedal
Carbon preferable, but not mandatory. I like light though.

I'd prefer to not end up with an SB66 Al, because it's heavy as fuck.

I'm open to just about anything, as long as it's long.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I have over 6000 miles on a Giant TCX that had the top tube broken in half. BrokenCarbon.com Fixed it about 4 years ago and it is still going strong. I would get a Quote from them to see how much it would cost to repair.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Rideable, but definite weak point in the frame. Tapping it with a screwdriver goes: *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* *Ding!* *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* No questions that it is broken.

A thorough check is probably in order.

Also, try it now.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
He wants carbon though. The additional 0.5% of mass with an aluminum frame in the bike + rider equation is just a non-starter. Do you even realize how much harder that would be to schlep around?
You've ridden with me. I need all the help as I can get. *pops M&M into mouth*

I have over 6000 miles on a Giant TCX that had the top tube broken in half. BrokenCarbon.com Fixed it about 4 years ago and it is still going strong. I would get a Quote from them to see how much it would cost to repair.
That's good to know.

I had a Look break about 10 years ago and repairing it was painfully expensive.

A thorough check is probably in order.
There's a dent.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Are the SB66 rear triangles different for different sizes front triangles? IFAIK, the rear triangles are usually the same.

However, it is still a Yeti. If the rear triangle does not self destruct, the switchey link will. :P

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are the SB66 rear triangles different for different sizes front triangles? IFAIK, the rear triangles are usually the same.

However, it is still a Yeti. If the rear triangle does not self destruct, the switchey link will. :P
Yes. Two different sizes. I was totally surprised when I was informed of that initially.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes. Two different sizes. I was totally surprised when I was informed of that initially.
when you're at either end of the size spectrum it's hard to utilize common components (ie swingarms) from other size frames and still achieve proper fitment for the largest and smallest riders.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Seems easy enough.
Crash replacement frame (surely Yeti of all companies offers this) + parts swap + dump 26" wheels and fork to some Genesis quoting evolution denier = profit in form of new bike.

Or buy a new bike, borrowing wifes new SUV to bring it home from shop.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Seems easy enough.
Crash replacement frame (surely Yeti of all companies offers this) + parts swap + dump 26" wheels and fork to some Genesis quoting evolution denier = profit in form of new bike.

Or buy a new bike, borrowing wifes new SUV to bring it home from shop.
We'll see... And I don't need to drive Wifey's CUV. I have the Subie to pair with the M.

Who has a winter car? *this guy*

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
when you're at either end of the size spectrum it's hard to utilize common components (ie swingarms) from other size frames and still achieve proper fitment for the largest and smallest riders.
Yes. I am a giant. I am well aware of this.