Quantcast

So I broke the Yeti...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's not really visually substantial. Just a small dent with cracking around it and a bit of softness.
Just in case you missed the fact that your problem has been solved twice.

I have over 6000 miles on a Giant TCX that had the top tube broken in half. BrokenCarbon.com Fixed it about 4 years ago and it is still going strong. I would get a Quote from them to see how much it would cost to repair.
This is the answer: http://altitudecomposites.com/

Jon is a good guy, and does great work.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just in case you missed the fact that your problem has been solved twice.
No shit sherlock. Yeti wants $400 for the rear triangle. I'll be reaching out to one of the carbon repair units locally once winter kicks in and I can't ride anymore.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
$400 for a new, painted triangle seems reasonable.
I'd just go that route, seems like way less hassle and downtime.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$400 for a new, painted triangle seems reasonable.
I'd just go that route, seems like way less hassle and downtime.
:stupid:

I have learned a lot in the last few weeks going the "cost effective" route. Sometimes paying the cost of OE is totally worth it. :panic:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I probably will. I just need to ball up to spend the money. I hate spending chunks of cash like that when what I have is usable still. But I probably should get one and all of the pivot bits for spare.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I probably will. I just need to ball up to spend the money. I hate spending chunks of cash like that when what I have is usable still. But I probably should get one and all of the pivot bits for spare.
And this is why I don't see myself on a plastic bike. I am not light, smooth, or overly skilled. Hitting sh!t is what I do. For how little weight you actually save, the piece of mind it worth a couple pounds. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And this is why I don't see myself on a plastic bike. I am not light, smooth, or overly skilled. Hitting sh!t is what I do. For how little weight you actually save, the piece of mind it worth a couple pounds. :rofl:
But there are no welds to break. I had a rear triangle fail on the Al frame at a weld. It I had taken that hit with an AL bike, I would probably have at least a sizeable dent in the frame. Either way, they each have their own up and downsides. The C vs. Al frame for the SB66 is over 1.5# and it's noticable when riding (as I've had both).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The C vs. Al frame for the SB66 is over 1.5# and it's noticable when riding (as I've had both).
You should ride my RM7 for a trail. At 42lbs, ANYTHING afterwards feels like a feather. I'm not saying alum is bomb proof, or idiot proof. But my luck I would put a dent in the top tube loading into the truck. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
a good quality & reliable repair will cost just as much.

tell us again how much you spent to fix the ///M?
Having a car is mandatory to existing in the modern world. Having a bike is not, unfortunately.

Was the M a smart purchase? Absolutely not. No logical person would do that. Is dropping $400 on a spare part for something that might last years a smart purchase? Who knows, but as long as it's rideable and not getting worse, I'll keep my money invested.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Having a car is mandatory to existing in the modern world. Having a bike is not, unfortunately.

Was the M a smart purchase? Absolutely not. No logical person would do that. Is dropping $400 on a spare part for something that might last years a smart purchase? Who knows, but as long as it's rideable and not getting worse, I'll keep my money invested.
i know plenty of people getting along just fine without cars. granted they live in cities where public transpo is de facto mode of transportation.

i just wanted to make a rub at you there.

get the replacement swingarm. you'd spend just as much (likely more) on any repair that would be worthwhile, but without any sort of warranty.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i just wanted to make a rub at you there.
:brows:

I'm also in the same boat as the dudes saying buy the triangle. It'll be painted and slide right in there without any work and there will be only about 2 beers worth of down time. Not to mention you won't ever question whether or not the repair will hold up over time (even if it does, I'd still worry a little at the very least).

Did you question how many triangles they have? Man would it suck balls if some other dude swapped up the last couple. :busted:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw one of my neighbors recently looked into getting his carbon frame repaired. small hole, about 1/2" max dim, lowest quotes he got were $500 - $600

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Also resale if it matters. Nobody would bat an eye with a replacement triangle, or even know. Repair, not so much.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
26 XL carbon frame. Probably worth at least the $400 you'd spend on a triangle. With a big ass dent/crack in it -> $0. IMO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Buy the replacement triangle already so that you don't have downtime when/if the dent turns into a bigger depression.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just got to see a repaired carbon swingarm ...
... if its typical of a carbon repair, I'd say the fixed part will have negative value if you ever wanted to sell the frame.

buy the damn swingarm.