Quantcast

So I finally got a full day on my Avalanche DHF-8

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
WOW!!!! The fork is simply amazing!!!!! I had to kinda retrain myself on the cornering characteristics since I was riding an 888 all last summer. It was so nice having the plushness on the smaller bumps that I lost on the 888. The fork felt bottomless and actually was much stiffer than I originally anticipated. I'm starting to adjust to the 2.5lb weight addition, its defiantly not as noticeable while riding opposed to lifting it up onto the truck. In combination with the rear Avy, the bike now feels perfectly balanced and solid. I was making comments to one of my buddies on how the fork was performing and how amazed I was with it and he needed to try it out. He said he loved his Shiver and how it performed and didn't think there would be a big performance difference between the two. Well at the end of the day, I stopped halfway down one of the rockier sections on our last run and told him to ride my bike the rest of the way. His comment when we switched bikes back was.............. I thought my Shiver was great, this fork blows it away.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nice Brian! when was it you got the fork again???.........NOVEMBER!!!! :D

Alright, I'm just jealous because I still don't even have a bike :( But I am one step closer since UPS came by on friday, I wasn't there but they left a sticky note for me so I'll get the package tomorrow. Enjoy your sweet fork! :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
Nice Brian! when was it you got the fork again???.........NOVEMBER!!!! :D

Alright, I'm just jealous because I still don't even have a bike :( But I am one step closer since UPS came by on friday, I wasn't there but they left a sticky note for me so I'll get the package tomorrow. Enjoy your sweet fork! :)
Yep Novemebr :( With the ride troll (wife) its kinda hard to get out and ride. Well I was supposed to ride like 3 times around Xmas and got rained out each time. And yep you'll have the stuff tomorow, it weird that it never posted the night I dropped it off at UPS.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Damn Marzocchis and their complete lack of small bump absorbtion.

While the comparison is cool, If you had a 888 that didn't move on small bumps, i'd feel fairly confident in saying you had a mis-tuned or screwed up 888, so the comparison isn't really all that fair. I don't mean this as an insult, not at all, but isnt' there a chance that perhaps the cost and exclusiveness of the fork might have tainted the review? Again, not an insult, just asking.

The cornering made sense though, especially with the 888's height.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dropmachine.com said:
Damn Marzocchis and their complete lack of small bump absorbtion.

While the comparison is cool, If you had a 888 that didn't move on small bumps, i'd feel fairly confident in saying you had a mis-tuned or screwed up 888, so the comparison isn't really all that fair. I don't mean this as an insult, not at all, but isnt' there a chance that perhaps the cost and exclusiveness of the fork might have tainted the review? Again, not an insult, just asking.

The cornering made sense though, especially with the 888's height.
I messed with different spring rates, oil & oil level (used Golden Spectro) installed the compression sleeve, messed around with all settings with the exception of it being completely closed off. I didn't say it didn't move on small bumps, I didn't like the way it felt on small bumps. Ride heigth, I was using the Risse crowns so that was perfect. The one thing I still like better about the 888 is it's weight. Its just really hard to explain, I'm not knocking Marzocchi, but for me I'm just amazed on how much better the fork feels over my 888.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Yeah but I dunno if I could justify the cost of a avalanche against a shiver. I have no doubts that avy's ride like a dream but they have a price tag that sets me dreaming. Atleast the shiver is a little more "working man" priced :)

Glad to hear you got to ride. With all the slides/road closures I'm hoping to get a ride in this comming weekend. Cali and their dumb storms

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Spunger said:
Yeah but I dunno if I could justify the cost of a avalanche against a shiver. I have no doubts that avy's ride like a dream but they have a price tag that sets me dreaming. Atleast the shiver is a little more "working man" priced :)

Glad to hear you got to ride. With all the slides/road closures I'm hoping to get a ride in this comming weekend. Cali and their dumb storms
Maybe against a Shiver, but the price of the Foes, Dorado and Fox 40 RC2, its right in that ball park.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
UiUiUiUi said:
hehe brian finally welcome on the avalanche bandwagon ;)

have fun!
and go ride that thing.
hell you are in Cali!
i envy you!
I should start riding more now!!!! Thos was the first week in the last month it didn't rain, trails are still flooded around here.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
while there's no way I'd ever get one due to price/weight, absolutely NOTHING else (that I've tried) feels like an avalanche. just be careful, a buddy who got one for his fatty fat quickly upgraded to a mtn 10. seems the 8 just wasn't quite enough for him... :monkey:

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Where did you ride? I probably won't be able to get on the bike for a while now.. but I really want to see that Avy sometime! Too bad I couldn't meet with you when I picked up my goodies. And seeeeeeeee... the weight difference ain't bad. Even somebody of my size ain't complainin about the weight of my Monster :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
DLo said:
Where did you ride? I probably won't be able to get on the bike for a while now.. but I really want to see that Avy sometime! Too bad I couldn't meet with you when I picked up my goodies. And seeeeeeeee... the weight difference ain't bad. Even somebody of my size ain't complainin about the weight of my Monster :D
Rode Auburn from 9-2 :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Brian HCM#1 said:
I had to kinda retrain myself on the cornering characteristics since I was riding an 888 all last summer. It was so nice having the plushness on the smaller bumps that I lost on the 888. The fork felt bottomless and actually was much stiffer than I originally anticipated. I'm starting to adjust to the 2.5lb weight addition,
These sentences made me spit coffee on my keyboard. A little from my nose.
So you had to retrain yourself to corner because you could not get your 888 to suck up small bumps? Come on now.
If you had to retrain anything, it was because you added a 3 pound dumbell to the front of your bike. :oink: ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
These sentences made me spit coffee on my keyboard. A little from my nose.
So you had to retrain yourself to corner because you could not get your 888 to suck up small bumps? Come on now.
If you had to retrain anything, it was because you added a 3 pound dumbell to the front of your bike. :oink: ;)
Try reading it again, I had to change my riding style, because the fork still did dive a bit on the corners, it was something I never experianced with other forks. So now I can take corners with more confidence. Small bumps are small bumps, the 888 did feel great on the big bumps, but vibrated the sh*t out of my hands on the smaller ones.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Brian HCM#1 said:
Try reading it again, I had to change my riding style, because the fork still did dive a bit on the corners, it was something I never experianced with other forks. So now I can take corners with more confidence. Small bumps are small bumps, the 888 did feel great on the big bumps, but vibrated the sh*t out of my hands on the smaller ones.
That sounds like a setup problem
Many people have commented on the 04 200mm 888 diving, and that is why the sleeve was made etc...... But they are widely known for owning the small bumps like the Patriots own the Colts. And that is not with proper tuning, that is just out of the box. Maybe you were using 7.5w Clam Chowder for oil.? :thumb:
Anyway, Glad that you like you new fork.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jeremy R said:
That sounds like a setup problem
Many people have commented on the 04 200mm 888 diving, and that is why the sleeve was made etc...... But they are widely known for owning the small bumps like the Patriots own the Colts. And that is not with proper tuning, that is just out of the box. Maybe you were using 7.5w Clam Chowder for oil.? :thumb:
Anyway, Glad that you like you new fork.
Did you read this comment I made here? (I messed with different spring rates, oil & oil level (used Golden Spectro) installed the compression sleeve, messed around with all settings with the exception of it being completely closed off. I didn't say it didn't move on small bumps, I didn't like the way it felt on small bumps. Ride heigth, I was using the Risse crowns so that was perfect. The one thing I still like better about the 888 is it's weight. Its just really hard to explain, I'm not knocking Marzocchi, but for me I'm just amazed on how much better the fork feels over my 888.)

Anyways I was constantly trying different things to get it to feel right. I'm not knocking the 888 it is a very nice fork, but now that I had a chance to try the Avalanche, IMO its just way better.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Agree !! I have been riding 888r too and I think the Avy fork works somehow nicer...always difficult to explain a feeling of a fork, but I wouldnt go back !

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
didnt you think the fork was wicked-amazing before you rode it? i thought you were riding it all this time!!! :devil:

anyways, i kinda hate fork comparisons since they can be tuned so differently, especially the Shiver (more than people realize or venture). And I know this too well cus once i had the perfect setup, but forgot to take proper notes...that setup got lost after the next overhaul :(

would like to shove some moto-parts into it tho...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
seismic said:
WOW...what is behind all the plateing ?
you mean the drivetrain plate? its just an idler pulley (like the BB7) and the chainguide pulley is also incorporated onto the swingarm (keeps the lower chain length stable). The plate has a guide on the driven chainline to keep it from flopping around and allows keeps my leg of the drivetrain.

people assume its a jackshaft but its a single chain non-concentric system.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68883

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
seismic said:
How does it ride...I mean..can you compare it to any production bike in terms of riding characteristics ?
The bike itself is great.

The brakes need some work, though - he has trouble setting them up correctly...

:p

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
seismic said:
So how does it ride ?
i love it, pedals crisp, brakes very neutral (stays level when hard on the rear), and gobbles up the big stuff. Still fiddling with the linkage rate since i scored the DHX so late in the season but managed to get the geometry to my liking. It was surprisingly easy to get used to.

Two main complaints would be i should of made the wheelbase longer (ie. bb to front axle), and the long heavy swingarm doesnt comply well to high frequency vibration stuff. There was some worry about the swingarms torsional stiffness but i modded the dropout plates and it doesnt seem to be an issue. But overall i'm really happy with the way it turned out despite some heavy doubts (cold feet) in the waiting.

But as for the wrenching side, its a real f-ing pain to work on..

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
dante said:
while there's no way I'd ever get one due to price/weight, absolutely NOTHING else (that I've tried) feels like an avalanche. just be careful, a buddy who got one for his fatty fat quickly upgraded to a mtn 10. seems the 8 just wasn't quite enough for him... :monkey:
The DHF 8 ti is about the same wieght as the 888RC. The DHF 8 standard is about a pound heavier.

I may be picking up a DHF 8 on Friday from Craig. We are also going to try and get my DHS rear shock to fit my 05 V10. I'm not sure it will be feasible though. He also said the new woodie shock wont fit because the reservoire is to big.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
crash test said:
The DHF 8 ti is about the same wieght as the 888RC. The DHF 8 standard is about a pound heavier.
where do you get the weight from?

i have a regular DHF8 which weighs 4.8kg (10.6lbs) the Ti should be at about 4kg (8.8lbs) which is about a pound hevier then a 888

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
crash test said:

I may be picking up a DHF 8 on Friday from Craig. We are also going to try and get my DHS rear shock to fit my 05 V10. I'm not sure it will be feasible though. He also said the new woodie shock wont fit because the reservoire is to big.
I owned both forks, at the same time. The Avi Ti is is not as light at the 888RC. If I remember correctly it was just over 1lb heavier. A sweet fork for sure, but definitely heavier.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I don't really understand the whole avy weight restriction thing. Why don't they offer a higher spring rate for the single-damper forks? I'd love to make my DHF lighter by having just single side.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Hey guys... Obviously he is stoked on his new Avy.
Why be a fly in the ointment?

If he likes it better, then COOL. No need grill him.

Personally, I like my 888 and wouldn't switch b/c I am not as big as Bri, and the weight difference would be too much for me.
Bri is pretty pumped (Although he is still a GRILY-MAN!! you PUSS!!), so the weight isn't a big deal.

Plus, his riding style it to point it straight, sit down the whole way, and let it rip.
Maybe his 888 wasn't good on small bumps b/c his weight was not on top of it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
-BB- said:
If he likes it better, then COOL. No need to give him the 5th.

Um I think you mean the "3rd" as in the 3rd Degree style interrogation, to which he might respond by taking the "5th" as in the 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination.

But anyway, we just like to give Brian loads of crap, he can take it, and dish it out pretty well too. It just one more benefit of the RM experience. Mike Ferrentino called it the neverendingsh!tgift.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OGRipper said:
Um I think you mean the "3rd" as in the 3rd Degree style interrogation, to which he might respond by taking the "5th" as in the 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination.

But anyway, we just like to give Brian loads of crap, he can take it, and dish it out pretty well too. It just one more benefit of the RM experience. Mike Ferrentino called it the neverendingsh!tgift.
Duh... what was I thinking.
It is a busy morning.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Wallstreetbiker said:
I owned both forks, at the same time. The Avi Ti is is not as light at the 888RC. If I remember correctly it was just over 1lb heavier. A sweet fork for sure, but definitely heavier.
this i can confirm, i owned both, went from the Ti to the 888. Avy didn't have the Ti-FR version when i ordered, or i would have done that. but love the 888 and its nice its 1lb lighter. i have 2 888s....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
-BB- said:
Hey guys... Obviously he is stoked on his new Avy.
Why be a fly in the ointment?

If he likes it better, then COOL. No need grill him.

Personally, I like my 888 and wouldn't switch b/c I am not as big as Bri, and the weight difference would be too much for me.
Bri is pretty pumped (Although he is still a GRILY-MAN!! you PUSS!!), so the weight isn't a big deal.

Plus, his riding style it to point it straight, sit down the whole way, and let it rip.
Maybe his 888 wasn't good on small bumps b/c his weight was not on top of it.
Ahhhhhhhhh Jeff you crack me up. As for sitting down while riding, did I tell you I just got a drink holder and some velcro to attach the TV remote control. I'll never have to stand again:thumb: