Quantcast

So I got a heart rate monitor

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What the heck do I do with it?

I understand how to program it, and the concept of HRmax and percentages thereof.

But what are some good routines for indoor training for a 24 hour race (team)? I'd like to keep the individual workouts to about an hour because I get bored out of my gourd if it takes any longer.

Is it as simple as "stay in the 75% range for the whole hour"? Or "stay at 75% and go up to 95% for 2 minutes every 10 minutes"?

Help!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
narlus said:
how can you trust someone who rides a Klein w/ bar ends?
LMAO - no doubt!

Seriously though, that book has a lot of good info in it depending on how involved you want to get. It might be a bit much Echo, if you are just looking for a quick guide. At least skim it for some ideas about different workouts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If your training specifically for Old Pueblo I'd try to duplicate the course. After a warm up 5 minutes at 85%, 5 2-minute intervals at 95%+, 20 minutes at 85% then ramp things up for a 5 minute hard as you can finish.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
bluebug32 said:
What kind of heart rate monitor do you guys recommend?Will one of the cheaper ones do the trick?
It totally depends what you want it to do. It's nice to be able to set zones so it beeps when you go out, see your max, min, and average. You would need that at a minimum I believe.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Heidi said:
It totally depends what you want it to do. It's nice to be able to set zones so it beeps when you go out, see your max, min, and average. You would need that at a minimum I believe.
What's the price range on this type? Are most of the brands pretty much the same?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So what have you been doing? I need to know how much $$ to place on the East Coast Monkeys. Win, show, or DNF?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
So what have you been doing? I need to know how much $$ to place on the East Coast Monkeys. Win, show, or DNF?
I've been spending most of my time at 80-90%. Except yesterday, when I brain farted. I was working my ass off on the rollers, watching my heart rate. It was slowly going up, but I couldn't get it over like 147. I was doing mad intervals, sweating like a fiend, but it wouldn't budge. Finally after like 35 minutes I realized it was displaying my average heartrate instead of current. It ended up being a really good workout though :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
I've been spending most of my time at 80-90%. Except yesterday, when I brain farted. I was working my ass off on the rollers, watching my heart rate. It was slowly going up, but I couldn't get it over like 147. I was doing mad intervals, sweating like a fiend, but it wouldn't budge. Finally after like 35 minutes I realized it was displaying my average heartrate instead of current. It ended up being a really good workout though :D
Nice. I've actually had workouts where I've busted my ass but couldn't get my heart rate up. It's a good sign that you need to sit on your ass and get some rest.

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
it's totally dependant on your goals, what part of the season you are in, and when your next race is. It's not good to max yourself out every ride and have a high heart rate. It's a good way to wind up with palpatations and heart issues. I did a race and averaged 190 for 1.5 hours (my max is about 203). it was stupid. i don't know if it is coincedence, but i started having heart palpatations a few weeks later. i got them checked out and they are benign, but something tells me that race had something to do with it. The heart is just a muscle, and it's a muscle you should be nice to, it doesn't like to fail.

If you get into it, there are better ways than just going by percentages. staying between 60% and 70% is actually a large range in heart rate and being on one end or the other can change the effect considerably. that 10% translates to a 20bpm window for me.

There are simple proxy ways to tell if you are over training laid out in the heart rate monitors for cyclists book. It involves laying on the floor, standing up slowly, and checking to see how much you're HR changes. if it changes too much it's a sign you need a break. that book tells you how to find your max, your lactate threshold, and lays out all kinds of training rides for certain goals.

T