Quantcast

so i got this weird rash...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so i got this bug bite on my arm last week. then it turned into a rash that looks like poison ivy. now all it does it spread to random spots around my body more and more. ITCHES and burns a ton. all the meds that my doctor and the skin doc gave me helps very little. now think its just in my blood stream. word is that sometimes things like this can kill. wonderful. doesn't seem to be a cure. they say just wait it out.
what the **** is that...
atleast its not contagious

anyone know what the hell i've got. the rashes look just like poison ivy...

help?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, cool. but no only started from one bite location on my left arm. and not anywhere near "where the sun don't shine"

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
What meds did your doc give you? Prednisone? Does the rash weep or have a yellow crust? Do you have a history of strong reactions to poison ivy? What you've described sounds a lot like a nasty case of poison ivy in a person that is more allergic to it than most people.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nope. not poison ivy. i've never ever had a serious problem with it. the only way poison ivy spreads is with the oil from the plant. i never was in any contact with it within that week. or after that. i did have a weird bug bite on my left arm where it started.
the doctors gave me, a couple different kind of pill plan things. they sorta worked. but i'm not through that and it just getting worse. the new perscription crap i was giving is Fluocinonide. seems to keep the itching down. but not a cure.
most depressing

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It takes a big man to admit to a rash. :)

My vote is along with motomike....chiggers. Classic symtoms. They don't have to be on your netherregions......they'll admit themselves to any area where skin folds(back of knees, inside of forearms at the elbow).

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Poison ivy can only spread person to person via the oil, but it can move around within an individual after the oil is gone. This is because the poison ivy toxin activates your immune system (T-cells) which can lead to new lesions in new places in very allergic people.

It could be chiggers...they suck, and are the itchiest things in the world. But they are usually a bunch of spots, rather than covering a large portion of skin.

Anyways, the drug you are on is a strong steroid, which means that your doc thinks you are having some sort of allergic reaction. I know it sucks (I've been in your shoes several times) but hang in there and keep takin the drugs they gave you. If you get to the end of them and its not better, go back...eventually they'll just give you a shot of prednisone and that will take care of it with a quickness.

Hang in there man.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea seems more like a allergic reaction...
also don't have it at any "folds" except my left arm. hasn't made it to my large back tattoo that is still in progress yet. would much rather it didn't too...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think you have the anal SARS. spread by bug bite is uncommon but not unheard of

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DHS said:
hasn't made it to my large back tattoo that is still in progress yet. would much rather it didn't too...

Blah! That would suck big time! Just don't scratch it at all if this happens!! You don't want anything rubbing up against it if it's all rashy and inflamed.

Out of curiousity, what's your back piece of??

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DH Diva said:
Blah! That would suck big time! Just don't scratch it at all if this happens!! You don't want anything rubbing up against it if it's all rashy and inflamed.

Out of curiousity, what's your back piece of??
not scratching any of it.

my back tattoo, is a work in progress. i don't think i'm half way through, but have atleast 60hours of work done so far.
its about everything that i love. anime, sci-fi, bicycling

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ROCKLAND said:
Your rash is fatal. Sorry.
good to know, thanks

sure i'll take some pic. just watched it appear a couple more places on my legs today. nice to be bored at work, in a dying business, will just follow suit with that then. :cool:

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
johnbryanpeters said:
Actually, it sounds as though you have hives.
i wish. it is not though. i know how to get rid of those. same with poison ivy and poison oak. this is different. for sure..
thanks for all the info and help folks

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have you been breaking a lot of spiderwebs riding early in the morning? Have you been picking the orange crusty scab that seems to develope for some reason? Did it get infected? Did you wait a while before you went to the docs? Does your doctor seem to know what is wrong with you or does he/she seem to be speculating? Are these rashes inline or splotchy?