Quantcast

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I went into it...mainly for sport. Saw the ad, figured what the hell.....

It's back with a big company. Bombardier. So I'm leery of that. (it would complete my trifecta of the large aerospace companies in Montreal - Pratt & Whitney, Bell Helicopter, and Bombardier)

But it certainly seems like it would be an interesting challenge.....out of my element for sure. I've always been directly involved with product development. This would be manger of one of the airworthiness groups.

Interview went well. I do well in interviews. I'm actually quite charming. No really.

Turns out my potential boss lives in the same neighbourhood that I do. And he also sails and we know some of the same people.....so all of the "secondary" aspects smile favourably in my direction.

But I wouldn't get to fly around in helicopters anymore.

It would be a slightly shorter, but crappier commute. (with traffic, instead of against).

What to do....what to do....

I now welcome you mean spirited tags. (cool story bro, get a blog, who cares, etc.........)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My father works for Bombardier. If there is a crash I will make sure he tracks the blame back to you.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do you get a deal on skidoos? That would be a deal breaker. I have always wanted to hijack or steal a Subway car, can you get detailed instruction manuals for me?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Do you get a deal on skidoos? That would be a deal breaker. I have always wanted to hijack or steal a Subway car, can you get detailed instruction manuals for me?
Perhaps...

Actually funny you mention that...because I'd forgotten all about this until you brought this up. I actually got a job offer from Bombardier Recreation blah dee blah....way back. One of the managers at Pratt left to go there and he offered me a job to work for him. (and as you lived in montreal I'll assume that you know what I mean when I say the following) but the job was way the christ out in Valcourt.....I ended up going out to Boeing instead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lear in Wichita?
He has worked with the Lear folks but he started with them when they acquired Shorts Bros a few decades ago. His office was slowly dissolved so he eventually worked from home in Va. Officially retired now but works for them on a contract basis when he gets bored in the winter. He never had great things to say about the company but it all seemed to be rather mild versions of corporate bull****. They seemed to appreciate and award good work, in other works probably not a place where you would thrive.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
He has worked with the Lear folks but he started with them when they acquired Shorts Bros a few decades ago. His office was slowly dissolved so he eventually worked from home in Va. Officially retired now but works for them on a contract basis when he gets bored in the winter. He never had great things to say about the company but it all seemed to be rather mild versions of corporate bull****. They seemed to appreciate and award good work, in other works probably not a place where you would thrive.
there's a typo in the last line of your insult. nyah.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
but yes....I'm unsure if I want to trade the "small company family bickering" for the large company corporate bull****......

I don't actually HATE my current job by any means....but I seem to have plateaued there.

all about my mid-life crisis I guess.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there's a typo in the last line of your insult. nyah.
I find it difficult to focus too much on a mmike thread.

I was actually planning on quitting my job today with the intention of going to grad school, didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. I've been commuting back and forth to Cleveland, can't stand the travel and can't stand Cleveland. The problem is I really like my job. My responsibilities are limited to vomiting my opinions to the owner and spending the rest of my time tinkering in a crude lab. There is no way I can stay here long term but I am in the middle of a few projects that I really want to finish, of course that prevents me from going to school this fall. I'm no spring chicken so the school thing happens now or never. I should just show up tomorrow pants-less with a a bottle of Beam and see what happens.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I find it difficult to focus too much on a mmike thread.

I was actually planning on quitting my job today with the intention of going to grad school, didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. I've been commuting back and forth to Cleveland, can't stand the travel and can't stand Cleveland. The problem is I really like my job. My responsibilities are limited to vomiting my opinions to the owner and spending the rest of my time tinkering in a crude lab. There is no way I can stay here long term but I am in the middle of a few projects that I really want to finish, of course that prevents me from going to school this fall. I'm no spring chicken so the school thing happens now or never. I should just show up tomorrow pants-less with a a bottle of Beam and see what happens.
The mid-life crisis rears its head in many forms......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Definitely a crappier commute... can't really take public transit either (is there a shuttle from the train?) I guess once you get further along in the interview process hopefully the decision becomes a little easier.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well this is no good....

This is part of an email I got today from my potential boss. (As my second interview is tomorrow)

For tomorrow (and sorry for the last minute request) could you put together a story for what you see yourself doing for the first 3 months, by 6 months, and by the first year to integrate into the new role. As all is new and what I will be mainly focusing on is your Management style, this will give a great insight on how you will attack this beast.
It sounds like he will want results!! I can't work like that! I can't! I WON'T!!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Well this is no good....

This is part of an email I got today from my potential boss. (As my second interview is tomorrow)

It sounds like he will want results!! I can't work like that! I can't! I WON'T!!
He writes like a 5 year old.

As is tradition?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Tell him that there truly is no straightforward way to conquer THE BEAST. It is a ROARING MONSTER that is insurmountable. The best you can do is attack THE BEAST head on, poo in hands flinging away, praying to hit his eye so he will perish in a slow, agonizing manner from a combination of pink eye and chlymidia (don't mention where the chlymidia) will come from.

3 month plan: Train like the warriors from 300, include a picture with a slew of shirtless ripped men.

6 month plan: Continue training with furious two armed masturabation to improve your throwing arms.

1 year plan: Begin your journey...