Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stick it out until the end.....just leave a lot of your short hairs on the key board before you leave.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm lolling at the google ads for this thread. Speaks quite accurately of Mmike.

Odor removal, musty smell, Urine stains.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
to be honest I never ever got hired or called back to any place that gave me "tests"

Probably because I said what is this horse**** and put "honest answers to stupid questions" 1) if you knew a fellow employee was lying what would you do. A) call him out and make sure everyone heard me call him a lying two faced asshole.
1b) what if it was your boss? A) tell him to get ****ed

LOL

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So the saga continues....

Potential boss invited me out for a beer tonight. (We live in the same neighbourhood)

I still have yet to get the results of my psych eval. But he gave me a rundown.

The long and the short of it is that while he loves me, HR won't let him give me the job I interviewed for. Apparently he and I got nearly identical scores in the same areas. So he wants to bring me in. But HR won't let him hire me as a Manager. Apparently my people skills are not polished enough by Bombardier standards. I would need to be a "section chief" for a year or so to work on my leadership skills. Apparently from a technical standpoint, I'm off-the-charts terrific. But when it comes tot he nose-wiping, conflict resolution etc, I need work.

And honestly, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I can't say i disagree. So it would seem that an offer is forthcoming, but this might be a more lateral move than initially thought.....so it's somewhat less appealing.

I will say though that this has been the most....fascinating job process i've ever been part of......

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
In all seriousness, perhaps a few years as a section chief may actually do as he claims, and provide the experience to make you more a more well-rounded employee in the future. It might not be the worst thing, especially if you perceive a ceiling at your current workplace.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
In all seriousness, perhaps a few years as a section chief may actually do as he claims, and provide the experience to make you more a more well-rounded employee in the future. It might not be the worst thing, especially if you perceive a ceiling at your current workplace.
Oh absolutely...as i said, I think it's a fair assessment. ....likely weirdly accurate.

And apparently I'm also motivated by the "external".....ie: money, benefits, attaboys.....Never thought about that...not sure it's 100% true. (I mean who isn't? is anyone REALLY motivated 100% at a job by self fulfillment?)

however.....the delta between 'section chief" and my current gig would be much smaller. And I get to wear jeans, I have an iphone instead of a blackberry, after the building renovation, I will have an office, I have a company credit card....I have a kick ass laptop, I get to fly in helicopters...my commute is easy

So unless there is an appreciable salary increase, I can't see it making a lot of sense......

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good to know all that ball sweating paid off in a fair assessment of your failings as a man. It's good to know where you stand at least.

If the salary is the same, it would come down to happiness and growth. Where do you see yourself at either place in a year?

I just had a company come out of left field that has stepped up in a big way(shorter commute, better pay, better benefits, lead engineer role). I hate the idea of leaving someplace so soon (6 weeks?), but the level of commitment isn't there and the truth is I'm pretty damn bored here. I should know what's up next week.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oh absolutely...as i said, I think it's a fair assessment. ....likely weirdly accurate.

And apparently I'm also motivated by the "external".....ie: money, benefits, attaboys.....Never thought about that...not sure it's 100% true. (I mean who isn't? is anyone REALLY motivated 100% at a job by self fulfillment?)

however.....the delta between 'section chief" and my current gig would be much smaller. And I get to wear jeans, I have an iphone instead of a blackberry, after the building renovation, I will have an office, I have a company credit card....I have a kick ass laptop, I get to fly in helicopters...my commute is easy

So unless there is an appreciable salary increase, I can't see it making a lot of sense......
Basically. And even with an appreciable salary increase, doing it just for the money rarely seems worth it at the end of the day.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, I had MY job interview today. It was a little different in that there are only 3 people there. 2 were developers, and 1 QA Manager (I met during the phone interview). So there was a little confusion this morning because the interview was scheduled at 9:00, but the confirmation email said 12:00. The recruiter who set up the interview is on the east coast, so 12:00 her time, 9 mine. OK, that worked (got a confirmation as I was about to walk in the door).

So I met with the manager for about 45 minutes, laugh, talk process, issues, things that do and don't work. A very good conversation.

So in walk 2 developers who aren't quite sure what to ask me. So we start on my background and projects I've done similar to theirs. Then I talk about automation, blah, blah, blah. Then one pipes up and says "How are you in Linux?" I mention I was looking at running Linux in my truck. He gets all excited and wants to know more. So we talk for about 30 minutes about the project in my garage and he is blown away.

The manager came back in to wrap things up. We talked for a few minutes and it sounded like things went well. He did mention that I might be too rich for them, but he wasn't that concerned. He started to say they had other people in the pipeline, but then asked how soon I could start.

So I might have an offer in the next day or 2. Who knows.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You mean the currency that is worth less than ours?
If yours is worth so much, why can't it be used ANYWHERE outside of Canada? I can take an American buck and buy something IN Canada. Try to pass a Looney as actual money in Portland. :rofl:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If yours is worth so much, why can't it be used ANYWHERE outside of Canada? I can take an American buck and buy something IN Canada. Try to pass a Looney as actual money in Portland. :rofl:
You can, but you'll only get about $US 0.98 worth...

ROFL? Really?