Quantcast

So, I have something to share.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
For the last eight months or so I have been uber driving in my (very) spare time. On a good evening I make about $30 an hour, a bad night around $20.
I do it purely for toy money, and I have to admit it is a ton of fun. I guess in other cities it doesn't pay for shit, but Jackson is...special. Don't think I'll do it when I have other fun things to do, but damn is it an easy source for extra scratch.
That is all.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
For the last eight months or so I have been uber driving in my (very) spare time. On a good evening I make about $30 an hour, a bad night around $20.
I do it purely for you money, and I have to admit it is a ton of fun. I guess in other cities it doesn't pay for shit, but Jackson is...special. Don't think I'll do it when I have other fun things to do, but damn is it an easy source for extra scratch.
That is all.
I got lots of respect for that. Doing what it takes is surely a Noble pursuit.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I’d probably enjoy it. But I could never do it since my main profession pays so much more per hour (and has extra hours that one can sign up for—see me working 5-10 pm a few days per month).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey and I were talking about me driving the Infiniti around major concerts for Uber. It's a 7 seater, luxury car so I could get Uber Black for it. A couple of drives per month and it covers the payment.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I do it purely for toy money, and I have to admit it is a ton of fun. I guess in other cities it doesn't pay for shit, but Jackson is...special. Don't think I'll do it when I have other fun things to do, but damn is it an easy source for extra scratch.
That is all.
in jackson...all day long....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Traffic isn't the concern, though they add to it.
The fact they're all fucking around with a phone while driving is the problem.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In all seriousness, locally the number of drunk drivers off the road due to uber far exceeds that 'problem'. DUI's are down ~40%.
Definitely a plus. I’ve never been in an Uber sober.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Based on how cheap rides are I always wonder how much Uber drivers are actually making when you take into account gas and wear items on the vehicle. Do you figure tires/brakes/general wear and tear on your vehicle into your $$/hour amount?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Traffic isn't the concern, though they add to it.
The fact they're all fucking around with a phone while driving is the problem.
This is true. And the Uber drivers I've taken all seem to not no where the heck they are going or basic rules of the roads. They love doing random sketchy u-turns and driving under the speed limit. Heck, the dude who drove us home on Saturday night backed up the highway onramp because he thought there was a shorter way. Luckily that was at 3:30am or it would have been ugly.

Then again in all fairness, 99% of drivers in Toronto shouldn't be on the road and have no regard for simple rules or courtesy to other drivers.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This is true. And the Uber drivers I've taken all seem to not no where the heck they are going or basic rules of the roads. They love doing random sketchy u-turns and driving under the speed limit. Heck, the dude who drove us home on Saturday night backed up the highway onramp because he thought there was a shorter way. Luckily that was at 3:30am or it would have been ugly.

Then again in all fairness, 99% of drivers in Toronto shouldn't be on the road and have no regard for simple rules or courtesy to other drivers.
Yep, I see stupid shit all day long from ride share drivers and everyone else.
Distracted driving thing chaps me as I was rear ended by a guy going 40mph who was texting and didn’t see my truck stopped at a red light in broad daylight on a straight road.
Blew out the the discs in my lower back, which is now permanently fucked.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Almost every time I see some jackass come to a stop in the middle of the road or make a turn from 2 or 3 lanes over in front of traffic they have a UBER or LYFT sticker in the window and are looking at their fucking phones. Clueless dickheads is what they are here in the bay area.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I used the app. A car came. The person inside was polite and friendly. They took me to a place where I wanted to go. I paid them and gave them a tip. No vomit was involved, nothing was inserted into me. It seems I have missed out again. It hasn't helped my ability to ride a Wheelie. Hasn't hurt it either...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Almost every time I see some jackass come to a stop in the middle of the road or make a turn from 2 or 3 lanes over in front of traffic they have a UBER or LYFT sticker in the window and are looking at their fucking phones. Clueless dickheads is what they are here in the bay area.

Yep pretty much the same down here in Wellington...... Oh and double parked all over the shitshow.
With the added bonus that as they are not allowed to use the taxi ranks, between jobs they take all the normal parking in town so for everyone else parking is now even more of a nightmare.