Quantcast

So I haven't seen this rack before...

tufrack

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Also to be fair, any bike carrier off the back of a vehicle will obstruct the tails/plate to some degree.

The angle that the pic is taken from makes it look worse than it is. Tail lights still have pretty good visibility.

Here's a 3/4 view to give a better idea -

Also keep in mind that this is not even a consideration unless you're actually carrying 6 bikes. With 4 bikes or less, there's tons of space behind the tail lights.

Another nice thing is tires are not part of the holding mechanism. Seen plenty of bikes let-go when tires unexpectedly go flat. But then some of our shuttles are pretty rough.

Disclaimer - not associated in any way with NSR, paid full retail.

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
A big rack and a hummer. This thread could have been so much more. :rolleyes:
Ha! I didn't set out to hijack this thread. The hummer is such an easy target I'm surprised I didn't get called out earlier :thumb:

Anyway, it's actually really good to see a new player in the rack market. I had a T2 for a while and my bikes suffered for it. There was a Yakima Hook-Up in our crew but bikes would fall out of it all the time. There's been a need for some fresh new ideas for a while. That 1-Up looks cool but I need 4 bikes, minimum.

Prices on the TuffRack seem like they're going to be hard to justify but I wish them well.

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
These guys need to get with the program and get a 4-bike rack to market -> http://www.mweracks.com/

Having a swing-away will be quite a bonus those with SUV's or hatchbacks. Again, requires tires to be inflated so I have my reservations but unrestricted access to the rear of your vehicle would be nice.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

The angle that the pic is taken from makes it look worse than it is. Tail lights still have pretty good visibility.

Here's a 3/4 view to give a better idea -
This made me LOL.

Is a car behind you trying to avoid rear-ending you going to be directly behind you, or at a "3/4 view" behind you?:rofl::rofl:

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
Hey guys, glad to see the interest in the racks. I just came in here to clarify a few things that I've seen come up. I guess the first thing to mention is the weight, which in most cases is significantly less than than a similar setup from other companies. Take for example the Thule t2 which clocks in at around 56 pounds for a two bike setup, while ours would weigh in at 40 pounds. As far as having a ratchet strap to hold everything down, please keep in mind that the ratchet strap we are using is a custom setup that is strength rated well beyond what any user would be able to put it through. It is also the simplest most adaptable way to keep a bike in the tray since it doesn't rely on specific bike setups to function. We've also chosen a material/weave that is very fine so as to minimize any cosmetic damage to bikes, which would be close to non-existant anyways. The next big thing I see coming up is the wobble. Believe it or not, the wobble is there intentionally. What the wobble does is give the bike/rack some room to move around so that the force from bumps in the road/potholes etc. is not transferred directly into the bike, as well as it makes it so the strap rubs less on the frame. When driving with a loaded rack it is actually quite silent. And now for the number one concern that we've had about the racks, the price. These racks cost a bit more than other racks because they cost more to produce. We don't use any plastic parts, we don't cut any corners, and that translates into a slightly higher price point. The idea behind these racks was never to be the cheapest option, but the strongest and longest lasting one. If you have any question as to the strength of the racks I would like for you to check out our facebook page where you can find pictures of one of our racks that was rear ended at a stop light by a honda doing 60 km/h. Both bikes were fine, the rack that took the impact was bent, the car that hit the rack was totalled. I realize the racks aren't for everyone, but if you have any questions just hit us up on fb or info@tufrack.com. Thanks guys!
My experience with racks that have some "slop" is that they get to rocking violently on rough dirt roads. I have observed them build momentum as they get into a rhythm. This tends to eventually lead to bikes moving around, falling off, or damaging each other. Just my experience and maybe you have some mitigating controls that I'm not grasping.

Thanks for stepping up with a new product and trying to improve on the mostly terrible designs that prevail on the market today.

haha, hell yea man, and Tippie's the man! Also, i forgot to mention, everyone who works at Tuf Rack rides, and up to this point every cent of profit has gone back into the scene through event sponsorships, building places to ride or just pumping up riding in general. We're not here to make a quick buck, we're trying to give as much back to the community as we possibly can.

I like your product and the vibe your company has but you gotta lower the price

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
This made me LOL.

Is a car behind you trying to avoid rear-ending you going to be directly behind you, or at a "3/4 view" behind you?:rofl::rofl:
The shot for straight on the back was taken fairly close to the back of the truck with a wide angle, creating an optical illusion of complete obstruction. If you stand back a car length or so, the tail lights are only partially obstructed.

They are less obstructed than with a T2. As TuffRack mentioned, all hitch racks obstruct to some extent. You're always running a risk with a rack like this. You might get pulled over. I don't spend much time worrying about it.

With 2-4 bikes on the NSR there is almost zero tail light obstruction on my truck. I rarely carry 6 bikes except on shuttle runs so the amount of time that I'm exposed to this risk is relatively small. If I were to travel around all the time with 6 bikes, it would be a greater concern.

On a full size pickup or van there is even less obstruction. My scenario is probably worst case where I'm narrow at the tail lights yet can handle the weight of a 6 bike rack.