Quantcast

So I just got an stp ss

voodazz

Chimp
Aug 20, 2008
I just bought a stock 08 from a friend who has only ridden it twice (600 bucks ha!) I want to start upgrading the components. Any suggestions? Thanks.

voodazz

Chimp
Aug 20, 2008
I was thinking about changing the rims out to Rhyno Lites since they work well with my xc bike, would it be a good choice for the stp?

I plan on doing mainly urban riding with some 6ft+ drops, I also plan to upgrade to hydro brakes. I'm currently running with Juicy threes on my xc and wondered if this would be a good choice for the stp also.

Thanks again!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . I also plan to upgrade to hydro brakes. I'm currently running with Juicy threes on my xc and wondered if this would be a good choice for the stp also.
. . .

My mechanical Avid BB-7 works amazing. If you use a really good cable, like an Odyssey Linear, put a ton of Tri-flow in it and make sure the disc pads are centered properly, it will kick ass. You can feather or you can clamp it down.

Hydro brakes don't seem to be as good for feathering--they lock up too hard with less room for modulation. They also can be a pain in the ass for maintenance (bleeding lines etc.) Obviously, though they are awesome brakes when dialed in also. So whatever you prefer.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
My avid mechs have outlasted the frame, and every other component on my '04 STP.
If you really want to blow some cash, get a 80mm gold label, or similar fork, and a 20mm front hub. Replace the rest as it breaks.