Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not a tattoo, but I believe its in the spirit of the thread. Mildly NSFW I suppose.
My brother (who owns a tattoo studio) was telling me over Thanksgiving about the new fad of "gauging" the space between your lower/upper lip and using a clear glass puck so you can see teeth. Dear lord people need help.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My brother (who owns a tattoo studio) was telling me over Thanksgiving about the new fad of "gauging" the space between your lower/upper lip and using a clear glass puck so you can see teeth. Dear lord people need help.
always amazed at the Venn Diagram overlap of people who have money for body mods but need a job and/or money for basic day-to-day life stuff.
"hey, i got this sweet new art/jewelry . . . now i just need to skip a few meals to make rent this month."

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
also, not to get terribly political, but since there is now a clearer line between health costs and the community burden of those costs due to the current legislation mandating coverage, it will be interesting to see if there is backlash against modified people, given their inherently higher risk of having health issues related to the modifications (exposure to blood borne pathogens, complications such as infection and other dermal issues).

in any case, the old-age home will be a more colorful place than it once was (if those kids live that long).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, not to get terribly political, but since there is now a clearer line between health costs and the community burden of those costs due to the current legislation mandating coverage, it will be interesting to see if there is backlash against modified people, given their inherently higher risk of having health issues related to the modifications (exposure to blood borne pathogens, complications such as infection and other dermal issues).

in any case, the old-age home will be a more colorful place than it once was (if those kids live that long).
on the flipside, it may lead to better regulation / guidance on cleanliness practices. i know a guy from high school who has since become a tattoo artist. he put together a course on BBP's and best practices to fight them. every time adds another course session it fills up within hours.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a lifestyle of eating fast food is also a form of body modification, amirite?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
on the flipside, it may lead to better regulation / guidance on cleanliness practices. i know a guy from high school who has since become a tattoo artist. he put together a course on BBP's and best practices to fight them. every time adds another course session it fills up within hours.
agreed. the guys in the hook world are pretty active in the modified community, and very concerned with BBP's, and thus their potential for exposure makes the more prepared to deal with the risk. however, there are still lots of kids going out and getting piercing-gun work done, and stretching the piercings in unsafe ways, and getting bedreum tatteus from people who aren't following good practices. i trusted the guys who pierced me, and i still trust them when i watch them work (i was just involved in two suspensions last weekend, on the rigging side).

as is often the case in life, people who are easily observed as being "different" get targeted, thus people who have been modified to look different may very well become a lightning-rod for attention on this issue.

a lifestyle of eating fast food is also a form of body modification, amirite?
i'd say yes. there are some very interesting segments in the movie Modify about this issue. they cover modifications people often overlook, such as body building, or ones people accept as "normal," such as breast implants and other forms of cosmetic surgery.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455980/

Stories of people who regard augmenting their bodies as a way of life, whether for artistic reasons or out of pure vanity.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
... of course trying to define what is "modified" inherently requires a definition of what the base-line is for "not modified." some modifications are more obvious than others. some modifications are not voluntary. my accident made me modified. i have metal implants that hold me together, but i didn't request them, though i was probably asking for it with what i was doing at the time. at one time, i needed a machine to breathe. at one point i used a wheel chair for locomotion... but, aren't cars just a chair with wheels, which "able-bodied" people utilize voluntarily, in order to help them get places faster than their legs can? where does the modification start and stop? Stelarc is brilliantly creating art which points at this very issue (lmgtfy, in case jK is reading this while pooping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelarc ). it isn't hard to get into trans/post-humanism from there, which is likely another thread ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism ).