Quantcast

So I need a new fork

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok I was trying to do 3's this last weekend and pretty much blew out my DJ3 or something, it hardly even works any more but the good thing was I almost landed it.:monkeydance:

Anyway I am stuck between either a used 2008 Pike 454 air U-turn that I can get for about $300. Although I am not sure if it will be very durable.

Or I can get the Argyle 318 for $420 new.

I would have to lower any fork I got to 80mm and I only want to spend up to 500 tops. Any other suggestions or input on a strong fork that is a reasonable weight and will hold up to my heavy abuse.

Also for the rebound and stuff I perfer a fork that is stiff and hard to compress but has even faster rebound.

Any suggestions? :help:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Higher end zocchis (dj1/4x) are durable and reliable but a bit on the heavy side (maybe not the 4x tho?).

I don't have much experience with the Rockshox offerings however.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I would look at a used 'zoke 4x or maybe a dj1. Thats if you want durable. The argies could be put on that list too - And even the pike 426. But the 454 is going to be a lot weaker.

My .02cents.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
agreed, the pike 454 isn't the strongest.

i got my pike 426 air u-turn for 400 new online, but having just checked, looks like that deal isn't still up. shame, that was a bargain and a half.

i'd go with the argyle in this case, since you broke your previous fork, why mess around second try?

maybe look around for an argyle 409 if weight is important to you, as well.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Here is my take on this.

I have a Pike 454 COIL, which is awesome, but even with the x-firm spring and lowered I blew through the travel. I guess that would be a reason I wouldn't go with the 318, it is a coil fork and I fear with jumping you might run into problems. The Pike at least you could pump up since its an air fork. The problem with that is that its not as strong as the Argyle so you kinda gotta weigh which is a priority.

Now the final direction you can go is the 409, maybe a touch more expensive but this was the fork that worked out perfectly for me. Its strong, it can be pumped up so you don't blow through all the travel, plus its easily lowered.

That would be the direction I would send you in if you want a reasonable weight, strength, and solid feel for travel.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
t1 - with the pike coil you must not have had the floodgate/compression settings set right bec. I had the same problem w/ my 426 w/ xfirm spring. Then once I got the floodgate adjusted how I wanted it, it was as stiff, or as soft as I could ask outa it.

Now I'm running a 36 talas for a bit, but that is a totally different story. I'm deffo digging the air now.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Argyle 318. Perfect fork. Lower it to 80mm and squeeze the spring in there uncut. Use the Motion Control to set-up the compression you want from locked to fairly stiff. Depending on your weight and liking. If you want it softer you can cut the spring.

Adjustable rebound, stiff lowers and really burly. I love mine.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
If you have the money to get both a better fork and re-lace your wheel with a new hub then I would go for a new fork. But yeah, if you are pressed for cash, take the fork to a shop that deals with Marz or send it in.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
t1 - with the pike coil you must not have had the floodgate/compression settings set right bec. I had the same problem w/ my 426 w/ xfirm spring. Then once I got the floodgate adjusted how I wanted it, it was as stiff, or as soft as I could ask outa it. QUOTE]

Thats true, with compression jacked up and the floodgate as well things got stiff, but I guess I was a little nervous with that set up. I haven't messed with forks for a few years, but in the past putting to much pressure on the oil ment trouble. I guess thats not really the case now, but having a nice solid air spring really is much more confidence inspiring (or at least until I can pop a spring in a fork and have it not sag a ton with out cranking up the compression).

Just my thoughts on the matter. And, as far as fixing your old fork, lets think about the economy here, spend spend spend. Uncle Sam didn't flow you that money for nothing!:biggrin:

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I've been beating the piss out of my Marzocchi 4X (coil) and have had zero problems. It is lowered to 72mm (though I might bump it to 80) and I couldn't be happier. Stiff but still active enough when I need it. It has saved me on a couple nose cases jumping (whoops) and soaks up just enough when riding urban. I messed with the oil level a little bit to get it dialed but it ramps up great now and doesn't have a harsh top out. Initial tuning was done by Nemesis Project and I have made little tweaks since. Definitely gets my recommendation. (I like it better than my friend's Pike and chose it over an Argyle, Gold Label, etc.)

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
If you have the money to get both a better fork and re-lace your wheel with a new hub then I would go for a new fork. But yeah, if you are pressed for cash, take the fork to a shop that deals with Marz or send it in.
Yeah i would definitely go for a new fork if you have the money for it....

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I narrowed it down to this list:

Argyle 318, $419.99, 5.7 lbs

Pike 426 Coil U Turn, $555, 5.4 lbs

Argyle 409, $574.75, 5.3 lbs

Marzocchi 4X $625, 4.0 lbs

In order of their price, I think the 318 appeals to me the most. Does anyone know what the weight comparison between the 07 DJ3 I have now is and the 318?

Any other input?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I think that is the new 4X that you have listed. (It is an air fork. That is why it is significantly lighter.) See if you can track down the coil version on ebay maybe. I bet that it will be much closer to the price range of the others, if not cheaper. You would want the coil for urban/DJ IMO as well as it should be a stronger fork. The new air version is a racier fork. I know that Nemesis Project is tuning Kowa forks right now. Maybe see what Brad has that he could hook you up with.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Heres more specs on it:

The lowers are from an 05 Sherman Slider with 20mm thru-axle
The uppers (crown/stanchions) are from an 05 Sherman something else...
steel steerer.
The rebound circuit is a "devolved" SPV damper
The compression circuit is from a Gold Label (2006) with an XX-Firm spring.

Weight is 5.55 lbs on my scale at work.
Is it worth 150?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
If you lower it to 80mm for me I can pick it up this weekend.
If you pay me first, I can lower it for you. Money talks.

I don't need to sell this fork. Decided I would anyways, and now there's about a dozen or so folks emailing/calling me about it. I'm not doing anybody a free favor and I definitely shouldn't be obligated to. The fork, my asking price, and my mechanical abilities should speak for itself. Sorry.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
If you pay me first, I can lower it for you. Money talks.

I don't need to sell this fork. Decided I would anyways, and now there's about a dozen or so folks emailing/calling me about it. I'm not doing anybody a free favor and I definitely shouldn't be obligated to. The fork, my asking price, and my mechanical abilities should speak for itself. Sorry.
Alright, I am pretty set on it now though, check your e-mails. (and I completely understand)

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
He's not e-mailing me back, I offered him $200 for the fork plus lowering it.

If this doesn't go though I think I'll just get the Argyle 318.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok well I found a 2007 f100 RLC fork for $300:

I think I am going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully it will hold up.

My frame also came in:

The picture just doesn't do this thing justice, its amazing!:happydance:

Whacha guys think?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I'm trying to figure out how you go from wanting a strong and reliable DJ fork (Argyle, 4X, Gold Label, whatever) to a XC fork that will need to be rebuilt quite often. To each his own though. Its a nice fork and the frame looks sick.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I wasn't so much questioning the toughness as I was the reliability. They are buttery smooth but need to be rebuilt at least 3 times as often as other forks that I have experience with. On any bike that is going to take abuse I want things as simple and low maintenance as possible.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I think I'm going to start limiting my street riding, and just do park and dirt. Only thing is I'd be afraid to footjam this thing, or nose manual. hopefully i won't miss any barspins on it.

And yeah the frame came with touch up paint, but it didn't came with the sticker sheet they said it would

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
How low do you guys think I should lower it with this frame? i think the lower I make it the more overlap I will have so the more durable it will be right?