Quantcast

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
as much as I hate toyotas, and I hate foreign vehicles, the tacoma owns the small truck market, other than another one, your options are a colorado or ranger (IMO) and the toyota is probably a better option....I had one, it blew up, but i was super hard on it, so I can only fault it so much.

MeMTbiker39

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
Having owned a Canyon, Dakota still do and now a Tacoma double cab 4x4 Dont WASTE your time looking at anything other than the Tacoma believe me it is light yrs ahead of the others.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Tacoma or Frontier. Both have plenty of power and good reputations for performance and reliability.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've driven both a Frontier and a Taco, and the Nissan's not even close.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And neither of them have "plenty of power".
They're both fine if you're not the sort of guy who needs to drive around in a mobile phallus enhancer. Are they fast? No. Will they get you from a to b fine? Yes.

I'll amend my last statement. I've driven an older Frontier, circa 2000, with a manual trans, and it was OK. A newer one, 2007 I think, with an auto sucked balls. I've liked every Taco I've driven, even ones with the 4 pot and an auto.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Check out a 1st-gen access cab Tundra. 6' bed, fairly small by full-size truck standards, but a bit bigger than a Tacoma. Can't get the V6 with the 4x4 option, but the 4.7L V8 compliments the size of that truck nicely.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a couple of griped about my newer Taco, but overall, it's a great truck.
It has plenty of power. 260hp is plenty, unless you are towing 10k, in which case, you wouldn't be looking at a midsize.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They're both fine if you're not the sort of guy who needs to drive around in a mobile phallus enhancer. Are they fast? No. Will they get you from a to b fine? Yes.

I'll amend my last statement. I've driven an older Frontier, circa 2000, with a manual trans, and it was OK. A newer one, 2007 I think, with an auto sucked balls. I've liked every Taco I've driven, even ones with the 4 pot and an auto.
They're nice to drive, sure. But the minute you really load it up with anything, or go up any mountain road, you notice it get down on power fast.

The late model Taco's seem to make up for it with the wide range 5spd auto and what feels like a higher 3rd member gear.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I've got a 2wd 04 frontier. Power is lacking but it does it's job.

it's got about 75K on it now and I have yet to invest any serious money into it. There is a rattling under the hood though :eek: I'm pretty sure it's the evaporation purge valve since it comes and goes and appears to be coming from that valve when I open the hood and rev the engine. that's a 100$ valve.

Huh, unless you are buying used I guess this is a pointless post since they have changed the frontiers around since when I bought one.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Taco... Period.
I ended up with a DC LB. But, I have a family of four that it must fit comfortably for vacations, etc.
My only gripe?
It's one LONG mofo...and that it had the turning radius of my 94 4Runner.... I just shed a tear... I miss that thing...

Loaded down and driving over 400 miles one way on the last vacation? Just shy of 22mpg....

If you're leaning Nissan? Check out the new Suzuki.... Same truck...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're nice to drive, sure. But the minute you really load it up with anything, or go up any mountain road, you notice it get down on power fast.

The late model Taco's seem to make up for it with the wide range 5spd auto and what feels like a higher 3rd member gear.
I've driven a couple Tacos and both Frontiers as shuttle trucks with 6 people and bikes in them up some steep stuff. They're fine. Admittedly the one I've driven most is the Taco with the 6cyl and a manual, so that helps a lot, but still.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've got an 05 TRD ex cab standard bed.
LOVE this truck.

Driven the hell out of it. 75k and still running like a champ.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I've had 2 in the last 10 years, without EVER using the warranty once.
Oh, No Recalls either.:thumb:

I love mine, & will be getting another in a few years.

BTW How can people say that yoda's are any good at all with all of the problems they have? Seriously?

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I've had 2 in the last 10 years, without EVER using the warranty once.
Oh, No Recalls either.:thumb:

I love mine, & will be getting another in a few years.

BTW How can people say that yoda's are any good at all with all of the problems they have? Seriously?
The american car companies are really at the bottom of the industry right now. The only people that still buy them are dickheads that think they're helping the country. Even though a lot of the jobs they create have been outsourced to mexico :rolleyes: While at the same time, foreign car companies are expanding and actually creating jobs in the us by opening factories here. So there is pretty much no reason to buy a sh!tty domestic car.

So go get yourself another tacoma! :thumb:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Taco options are so f-ed up depending on where you live.

I like the Tundra but don't want the extended cab, but I do want the 5.7 and 4wd.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ive been reading this thread trying to figure what the hell a "Taco" is. Is it really that hard to just go ahead and spell the whole word? Is leaving out those last two letters saving you time?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Ive been reading this thread trying to figure what the hell a "Taco" is. Is it really that hard to just go ahead and spell the whole word? Is leaving out those last two letters saving you time?
I think they just like saying "taco".

The shuttle vehicle of choice here in AZ is the Tacoma. No question. A friend of mine has an older quad cab, short bed. We've taken that thing all over, Cali, Utah, shuttling with 8 bikes and people up a nasty 4x4 only road. It has been SOLID.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Mine was crashed a couple of times and had dents on ever body panel, it truly was a taco.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Check out a 1st-gen access cab Tundra. 6' bed, fairly small by full-size truck standards, but a bit bigger than a Tacoma. Can't get the V6 with the 4x4 option, but the 4.7L V8 compliments the size of that truck nicely.
No, the tundras suck in every category and every year, they are not good trucks, stick with the tacoma.

So you're the guy with the 1 hassle free Chevy.
Nope, I have had TONS of them.

The american car companies are really at the bottom of the industry right now. The only people that still buy them are dickheads that think they're helping the country. Even though a lot of the jobs they create have been outsourced to mexico :rolleyes: While at the same time, foreign car companies are expanding and actually creating jobs in the us by opening factories here. So there is pretty much no reason to buy a sh!tty domestic car.

So go get yourself another tacoma! :thumb:
Being uneducated on the actual subject must hurt.

Yes, the Tacoma is the downsized truck market killer for a reason, but american car companies as a whole are NOT at the bottom of the industry.

You also have a very poor understanding of the economy and corporations effects on jobs. But, nice try.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Snip

American car companies as a whole are NOT at the bottom of the industry.

You also have a very poor understanding of the economy and corporations effects on jobs. But, nice try.

Haha, are you kidding? I mean, do you actually believe what you just wrote?

American cars suck in comparison to almost any other car on the market.

Example: The base model difference between a Mazda3 and a Ford Focus is hilarious. They’re the same car, about the same price and the Mazda is loaded with features. Plus the ford is ugly as hell.

Dodge Avenger Vs. Camery, it's about as one sided as it gets.

American cars are a joke. End of story. Buying one is a poor life decision.

Also, if giving Americans a job is a high priority behind purchasing a car then don't buy from a GM, Ford, Chyrsler, etc. Unemployment is pretty freaking high. GM building in Mexico does not help anyone. Toyota building in the US helps many.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
So you're the guy with the 1 hassle free Chevy.
It's my second one & the first was great too.
So have the 8 that my father has had over the last 25 years.

On a Chevy:
The frames don't rot out in 5 years.
The front ends don't blow out in 2.
The exhaust systems don't rattle off in under a year.
& the gas pedals don't stick, causing the death of my family...
I'm very good friends with a toyota mechanic. The first time he opened the hood of my truck, he looked at me & said. "Wow, I wish a Tacoma engine looked like that."

Being uneducated on the actual subject must hurt.

Yes, the Tacoma is the downsized truck market killer for a reason, but american car companies as a whole are NOT at the bottom of the industry.

For some reason there is a huge dissconnect with a lot of the young folks between buying American & the cause of 15 MILLION people being unemployed ATM..

You will never convince the cubicle jockeys sadly enough. The only way that people will learn is when they are on the bread line. Right now there are 15 million of them learning the hard way...

Anyone that thinks that it doesn't matter: Good luck feeding your family when you lose your job.

I own an AMERICAN business that Americans support, so I support other American businesses. Simple math.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Example: The base model difference between a Mazda3 and a Ford Focus is hilarious. They’re the same car, about the same price and the Mazda is loaded with features. Plus the ford is ugly as hell.

Also, if giving Americans a job is a high priority behind purchasing a car then don't buy from a GM, Ford, Chyrsler, etc. Unemployment is pretty freaking high. GM building in Mexico does not help anyone. Toyota building in the US helps many.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
For some reason there is a huge dissconnect with a lot of the young folks between buying American & the cause of 15 MILLION people being unemployed ATM..

You will never convince the cubicle jockeys sadly enough. The only way that people will learn is when they are on the bread line. Right now there are 15 million of them learning the hard way...

Anyone that thinks that it doesn't matter: Good luck feeding your family when you lose your job.

I own an AMERICAN business that Americans support, so I support other American businesses. Simple math.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Add to those the familiar Detroit nameplates coming from plants in Canada and Mexico and it&#8217;s easy to see how confusing it can be for consumers leaning toward the purchase of an &#8220;American&#8221; car. Which is the more American product, a Honda Accord built by Ohioans for a company with its headquarters in Japan, or a Ford Fusion built in Mexico for a corporation that is based in Michigan?

Among the so-called transplants &#8212; foreign automakers who produce vehicles in the United States &#8212; Toyota leads in production. Last year it built more vehicles in the United States than Chrysler
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/automobiles/21intro.html

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Example: The base model difference between a Mazda3 and a Ford Focus is hilarious. They&#8217;re the same car, about the same price and the Mazda is loaded with features. Plus the ford is ugly as hell.

Try apples to apples next time?
I really hate having this argument with retards.

Compact Car
Ford Focus
Honda Civic
Hyundai Elant

Domestic, 1st place.

Midsize Car
Honda Accord
Ford Fusion
Chevrolet Malibu

2 out of the top 3

Midsize Sporty
Ford Mustang
Dodge Challenger

hmmm

Large Car
Ford Taurus
Buick Lucerne
Nissan Maxima

Top 2 out of 3....

Entry Premium Car
Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Acura TL
Cadillac CTS

Look at that, we are comparing apples to apples and the domestics are holding their own...need I continue?

Compact MPV
Scion xB
Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon
Nissan Cube

wow even the pt cruiser is making marks.

Midsize Crossover/SUV
Honda Accord Crosstour
Honda Pilot
Ford Edge

Another top 3 finish.

Large Crossover/SUV
Chevrolet Tahoe
Chevrolet Suburban
GMC Yukon

No domestics here....

Large Premium Crossover/SUV
Cadillac Escalade
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Infiniti QX56 (tie)
Land Rover Range Rover (tie)

another top finisher.....

Large Pickup
Chevrolet Avalanche (tie)
GMC Sierra LD (tie)
Ford F-150 LD

hmmmmmm

Midsize Pickup
Nissan Frontier
Ford Ranger
Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Damn, where did the toyota go?

2010 initial quality ratings from JD Power.....

Sure there are divisions where the Big Three didn't have a car in the caregory, but in most of those cases they didn't really make a car for that category. See for yourself. http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2010-Initial-Quality-Study-Results/page-27

I'm not saying the domestics are the best in all categories by any means, but for anyone to make a blanket statement that all imports are better clearly shows ignorance. These are initial quality results, but I dont really feel like digging for much more, If you have something to add that is constructive I'd be willing to discuss, but if you don't I won't waste my time.

A few fun facts on the number of employees in the US.

Toyota in the United States
Click here for the Toyota U.S. Operations 2010 brochure

Toyota has been operating in the United States since 1957. Here&#8217;s a summary of the company&#8217;s current U.S. impact:
&#8226;Total Investment: More than $18.3 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design
&#8226;Toyota Employees: More than 28,700&#8226;Toyota, Lexus and Scion Dealership Employees: Approximately 1,500 dealerships employ a total of more than 113,000 people
&#8226;Manufacturing Plants: Nine (in Alabama, California, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia)
&#8226;Vehicles Produced: Eight (Avalon, Camry/Camry Hybrid, Highlander, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra and Venza)
&#8226;2009 CY Vehicle Sales: More than 1.7 million vehicles
&#8226;Philanthropy: Since 1991, more than $493 million awarded to numerous organizations across the nation, with a particular focus on education, the environment and safety
.Number of GM Employees in the US
&#8226; For more stats on : General, United States

How many employees does General Motors have in the United States?

68,500 employees

General Motors filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on July 1, 2009. Before filing for bankruptcy, GM employs 91,000 employees in the United States. After the reorganization, General Motors trimmed down its employee base to 68,500 people. It also closed down some of its manufacturing plants and car dealerships due to economic conditions.
thats still 40,000 MORE people than toyota...add GM's 5800+ dealers, and a conservative 6 employees per dealership and you have another 35,000 people to add to the list.

1500 Toyota dealers, 5800 GM dealers.....

Yup, your right, toyota has a way bigger impact on the number of jobs in the us :rolleyes:

let's also keep in mind that toyota does assemble vehicles in the US, but where is the majority of the design, engineering, etc done? Oh yeah, japan. Toyota ships assemblies to the us.

Do you know how many automotive suppliers are building parts right outside my window for GM, Ford, Chrysler and shipping those parts to Canada or Mexico to be assembled? meanwhile all of the designers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, quality engineers, program managers, account managers, buyers, testers, validation engineers, etc. are here in the US working on these vehicles?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It's my second one & the first was great too.
So have the 8 that my father has had over the last 25 years.

On a Chevy:
The frames don't rot out in 5 years.
The front ends don't blow out in 2.
The exhaust systems don't rattle off in under a year.
& the gas pedals don't stick, causing the death of my family...
I'm very good friends with a toyota mechanic. The first time he opened the hood of my truck, he looked at me & said. "Wow, I wish a Tacoma engine looked like that."

It's such a simple concept to grasp, yet people seem to have the hardest time figuring it out.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI