Quantcast

So I officially started training...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
...for the 24H in Old Pueblo next Feb. Over the weekend I started hammering the hills more seriously on rides. I figure I have 5 months to get faster than ghostrider. I made three discoveries over the weekend:

1) Not really training since Dalton, basically just doing fun rides and DH, has REALLY hurt my endurance.

2) Riding the singlespeed almost exclusively has made my legs a lot stronger.

3) I'm much faster going up hills on the singlespeed. I gotta start pedaling harder when I'm on the geared bike, instead of being lazy and taking advantage of the fact that I have gears.

Anyone got any ideas for that third one? Is it just a mental thing?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Old Pueblo is good for SS, a little flat but it would be fun. But I can only take one bike so unless we make a SS team, it will be the geared bike.

Teams have not been formed yet, we are still deciding who is going and whatnot.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I went out and met stuntmatty for a lunch time ride. This ride and a 1 hour ride yesterday is the only time I have been on a bike at home in 1 month. I rode Plattekill 1 day 3 weeks ago and Diablo for 2 days, 2 weeks ago.

I couldn't even keep a medium pace going on a flat road. :dead: :dead: :dead:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hill repeats and start keeping track of what gear you use on each hill (keep a log too). Incrementally use a bigger gear as the hills get easier. Also use the rear der limit screw so you can't whimp out. Just tune out the easy gears. Don't forget to spin though.....jdcamb

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
jdcamb said:
use the rear der limit screw so you can't whimp out. Just tune out the easy gears

This is a very evil idea. I like it. :thumb:

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Hey Echo....Ghostrider and I were just discussing this thursday night- as in, when would be the appropriate time to throw down and suggest an East Coast Versus West Coast challenge for the Old Pueblo.....

Damn. I guess this means I have to start training too.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Drink alot of beer before during and after the race.....then you will be a winner in your own mind.....that's the singlespeed way of doing it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hmm! So now we have more possibilities arising. East vs. West - hope you west coasters find some fast chicks, cuz we got some! And the possibility of a SS team with BS... and Dalton Doug rippin' through the desert... I think it's time to make a thread in the 24 Forum :devil:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Five months out and you're ripping it up? For a 24hr effort? I smell burnout....

LSD, its not just a narcotic. If you're not riding road you're screwed.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
wooglin said:
Five months out and you're ripping it up? For a 24hr effort? I smell burnout....

LSD, its not just a narcotic. If you're not riding road you're screwed.

ride road? :rolleyes: have you ever been in the NE during the winter??

burnout....pffffttt

and with ECHO's comment of "Dalton Doug ripping through the desert" in my head ....... count me in :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Are you gonna ride SS 24H solo or just regular 24 H Solo?
I think we need an East v. West battle...We should make a bet on it ;)

And oh yeah, riding your road bike in -20 degree weather is great fun :D

J

JRB

No matter how much I ride, I still feel weak on the bike. I can ride for a long time on occassion, but not often. I do my best on little sleep. Best averages on road rides were on 2-3 hours sleep. :confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
3) I'm much faster going up hills on the singlespeed. I gotta start pedaling harder when I'm on the geared bike, instead of being lazy and taking advantage of the fact that I have gears.

Anyone got any ideas for that third one? Is it just a mental thing?
Could be a momentum thing, on a SS you need to hammer before you get to the hill to carry some momentum into it, maybe you aren't doing this on your geared bike.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Could be a momentum thing, on a SS you need to hammer before you get to the hill to carry some momentum into it, maybe you aren't doing this on your geared bike.
Good point. It's gonna be hard trying out these theories though, since I almost never ride the geared bike :think:

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Have you tried spin classes? I was already riding alot when I joined a club and tried 'em.....felt like it helped alot. (if you have good instructors). Bonus if there be hotties in the classes.....

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
I tried the classes at the Y here in VTA...they had "spin Reebok"....I liked the bikes that the regular Johnny G spin classes have. There's a club in ventura that does only spinning, you can pay by the class or get a punch card- that way you're not paying a membership fee for facilities you don't use. Maybe you could find a club that will let you pay just for the class. Or snag that hottie and get in free!