Quantcast

So I punked a bike thief this weekend.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Had an awesome last couple of days. My little bro (Big Brothers) got his bmx bike stolen from his apartment right before Thanksgiving. This was a frame that I bought him and we've spent a lot of time and money on. I got lucky Thursday and happened to find it on Craigslist for sale, while, surprisingly enough, looking for something to replace it with. I had no idea who the guy was or how it was going to go down.

I set up a meeting Friday to look at the bike. I was able to meet the guy, bs'ed him for a while acting like I wanted the bike. Then, I proceeded to tell him the bike was stolen and that I was going to be taking it. I told him I had a police report number and pictures proving ownership, so I could either leave with it or the cops could come sort it out. Luckily the guy complied. The only thing better than the look of confusion on his face would have been seeing him get hooked up. Saturday morning, my little got his bike back, and we went and got some upgrades.

My buddies went along to have my back in case things went south. Thankfully, it went as easy as possible and the guy got off easily. Back in the day, when I didn't have anything to lose he might not have been so lucky. Thieves are part of the scum of this earth and I will still be doing some homework to see if I can flip the guy to the cops.

But, in the end, I got the bike, it was relatively easy and a punk thief that thought he was going to make a couple bucks off of a hot bike got to walk his ass home after getting punked by this old man. I was able to find info on him that should help the cops. Sounds like he might be moving stolen stuff for some other teenage d'bags.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Before I had a wife and kid and a mortgage and nothing to really worry about, it probably would have been quite a bit more entertaining story. But now I'm old and boring and just have to be happy I got a kid his bike back.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
A buddy of ours got his complete DH bike shipped to his front door stolen. It just popped up on Craigslist and I called him to let him know. He had already gotten reimbursed by insurance and said the cops weren't gonna do anything about it.

I sent him a message and could probably go get it myself but was going under the knife for knee surgery. I got a wife and kids, but we are talking about a full blown factory Yeti with all the fixings.

Guy even posted it with pics of the boxes it was in. I'd have to drive about an hour to get it. It's not surfaced for two years and is still brand new. Have been trying to think of a plan to get it. My buddy said if I get it from the d-bag, I can have it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Screw the knee surgery. If you can get him to send you the police report (if you have one), go for a drive.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So what city was the guy in that had your stolen bike?
Just curious...
Bike was stolen in HB, but this kid was in Orange. Not far from my house actually, which was rather convenient. After putting together some info, I don't think he stole it but knew it was stolen and knows who stole it.

I actually contacted the police, both HB and Orange. Just the main desk number. Neither was much help and just pointed me to the other department.

This kid was smart enough though to use his phone number in all the ads he's posted, along with having it searchable on FB. So I already knew his full name when he lied to me about it, or at least I knew once he showed up and his face matched his profile pic.

Last edited: