Quantcast

so, I really messed up.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
um, I went riding one day and it was super muddy and wet. so, my super white bike was brought home super brown bike. I went and hosed it down, hosed off the cassette and all the good parts, but there was still mud caked on the frame/deralieur. Put it back in the garage...in it's special little place. I went to go ride it, and of course I really messed up. Chain and cassette have some rust on them and there is no rebound with the deralieur. I'm just super pissed at myself and I can't really go buy some simple green due to lack of funds (ie; just got a new apt). what can I do to make my bike better?!! CRAHP!!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
After any washing, wipe it down good, lube anything that needs it and let it dry out.

My old bikes this use to happen to alot. Ever since I started taking care of things it's all tip top shape. Best thing to do is just make sure you go over everything. Bearings or bushings might hate you after washing them out especially with a hose. It sort of packs in the dirt etc....into tiny spots and can destroy them.

It's a tuff one to say. I try my best not to hose the bike off rather clean in with rags and such. Lube things and off ya go.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Knock off the dry dirt with a brush. Squirt some dish detergent in a bucket, use a brush and wash the nocks and crannies, GENTLY spray off and lube up. Rust on your cassette won't matter and will disappear when you ride and wear it off. Lube the pivot points of your deraill. and you'll be fine. Don't panic, it's a freakin' mountain bike! It's built for abuse...

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Another thing to check is the cable housing on the backside of the derailure. If you leave mud on your bike it can has a better chance of getting inside of there and clogging it up. Like most everyone has said before. Dissasemble, clean, lube, and don't be a knucklehead next time.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
if you ride enough the rust just goes away. Check your housings, keep working your gears, it may knock itself loose. If that don't work learn how to replace the cable. You're trippin out over nothing really.
To avoid this kind of thing, get a good scouring brush and a toothbrush for them hard to reach places. Clean with low low pressure water, it just takes more time. Then slam your bike on the ground a few times and rag it off a few times to get excess water off.

Or just leave the dirt on it, that's the best. :evil:

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
your der problem has nothing to do with the der, your housing and cables are gunked up. It's best to replace them, but otherwise take it all apart and shoot degreaser through the housing, then lightweight chain lube. Clean your cables and put a thin layer of bearing grease on them, reassemble and youre good to go.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Skookum said:
Or just leave the dirt on it, that's the best. :evil:
Agreed!!

Before you ride, get out the brush. Hit the drive train and your good to go.
This time of year [well, 7-8 months of the year around here], there is no point in getting anal on your bike hygiene. It's all fubar anyway. Replace your cables/housing/chain regularly and all should be peachy.
:dancing:

:p These kinda threads crack me up. So much rain up here, all the "rules" go out the window.