Quantcast

So, I want a road bike, But now I'm leaning toward a cross bike....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
First and foremost, sorry for posting Bike related stuff in the Lounge :eek::sneaky::)

So, I've been looking into road bikes, but now I'm looking at Cross Bikes. I can still do road on it with a switch of the tires, but I can also do light paved and dirt trails. Anyone have any thoughts?

And this is the bike I'm looking at: Linky

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I just recently started road biking. (Bought a used Lemond Carbon bike for $500) From an avid MTBer perspective.... Eh its ok, I can certainly enjoy the training aspects and living in South Florida, the routes we take yield some VERY nice scenery (that is 1/2 naked chics excercising on the beach, just in case you were wondering). However I cannot even imagine wanting to take this thing off any kind of paved path. They are built for going fast for long distances. Keep the off road work to your MTB.

Just my $0.02

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I love my cross bike. I have a lighter set of wheels with road tires and a different cassette on them. You can do anything on a cross bike. Road ride, touring, singletrack. I love to take mine on long fire road and singletrack rides. It keeps you from getting lazy on the trails and forces you to pick lines. Definitely sharpens your handling skills. I would also check out a Surly. It's probably in a similar price range and is steel. Much more comfortable on any surface. Cross bikes are the deal!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I just recently started road biking. (Bought a used Lemond Carbon bike for $500) From an avid MTBer perspective.... Eh its ok, I can certainly enjoy the training aspects and living in South Florida, the routes we take yield some VERY nice scenery (that is 1/2 naked chics excercising on the beach, just in case you were wondering). However I cannot even imagine wanting to take this thing off any kind of paved path. They are built for going fast for long distances. Keep the off road work to your MTB.

Just my $0.02
The bike that Mike linked us to is cyclocross, so it's built for road and dirt.

Looks real nice, Mike. I can see buying one if you have dirt roads to ride on. I would imagine riding a road bike on dirt roads would kind of suck.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The recommendation of a Surly Cross Check is not a bad idea, although that Fuji looks pretty sweet too.

I think Jamis makes or made a nice cross bike too........the Nova perhaps. I know you were considering a Quest at one point. I really like my Quest, but a cross bike would be sorta cool if you have the dirt trails to utilize it on.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I sold my road bike because the roads around here are in such bad shape. I have been riding a Redline Conquest Pro (borrowed) and it is still has the road bike geometry and feel, yet it handles offroad great. I can climb anything on it and offroad stuff is very doable. That and having real brakes is a plus too. It is a solid bike and feels great in most situations. It has kind of what I describe as a touring bike geometry. Perfect road bike for around here. By the way Fuji makes some pretty impressive stuff. The one thing on that bike that I would change is the radially laced front wheel. Just never had good luck with those. The one other thing you need to watch out for is a lot of dog walkers only take their dogs just up from trailhead and let their dogs poop there. Watch out for the piles (Poop content for you :p )......jdcamb

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MMcG said:
The recommendation of a Surly Cross Check is not a bad idea, although that Fuji looks pretty sweet too.

I think Jamis makes or made a nice cross bike too........the Nova perhaps. I know you were considering a Quest at one point. I really like my Quest, but a cross bike would be sorta cool if you have the dirt trails to utilize it on.

I'm sure the Surly Cross Check is sweet, but...... I can get a deal on the Fuji :)

The Jamis is spec'd a little lower than the Fuji it seems to me.
Linky

The Quest is a SWEET bike, and a good deal, I'm just worried that if I get a strictly road bike, then I will not ride it. If I get a cross bike, I can take it to some great places around me at home and at school. Plus do road stuff. I need to work on my smoothness and picking good lines, which I think will help me in general riding, and in DH racing, and what better way to do that than on a full rigid cross bike?

I just think that it would suit me better than a road bike, but, I ask here because I am relitively new to "real" riding. Only been doing it seriously for 1.5-2 years. I figure that others on here can give me some insight :)

And just for referance, my Trail bike is a Jamis Komodo with all DH parts, (~35 lbs) and I have a DH/FR rig, a Norco Shore (~42 lb)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
I support the Fuji Cross idea, too bad they don't make it with the Reynolds 853 frame like the World has. I would also look at Redline's, but if you can get a deal on Fuji's, sounds like you're all set. You can ride a cross bike on the road, but you can't ride a road bike off road, nuff' said.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Get the Cross bike. I ride mine mostly on the road, and will ride it off road on fairly tame trails, and do a few CX races. Its a blast!

The other good thing about most cross frames are the options. Turn it into a commuter, tourer, light singletrack bomber, or road ride.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There isn't much difference between a cross bike and a road bike aside from canti brake mounts and geomtry. Anyhow... I ride my road bike with aero bars on dirt and gravel a few times each year - one time is a charity event of 55 or so miles around a lake on dirt and gravel roads - I just pop on some treaded 26MMs and I'm good to go, my lowest gear of 41/26 causes some pain on short steep climbs but its doable. I usually feel pretty confident at speeds of up to 30 on the downside.

A cyclocross style bike is also great for those not used to pushing small gears - I've seen them with up to a 12/32 off a 39.

J

JRB

I wish my road bike were a cross bike with avid mechs on it. I ride the road bike too some though.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The fuji looks like it has them but make sure if you plan on off roading it make sure that it has the top mount brake levers. Riding technical stuff in the drops suck.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
The fuji looks like it has them but make sure if you plan on off roading it make sure that it has the top mount brake levers. Riding technical stuff in the drops suck.

Did this give it away???

Brake levers
Shimano 105 9-speed Shifter/Brake, Flight Deck compatible with center mounted cross levers

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wumpus said:

Yeah, its got 'em. I'm not sure how they work, but I guess I'll get to figure that out pretty soon. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Fuji Cross in a 61 on Thursday

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wumpus said:
I seldom utilize my brakes from the drop position (unless checking downhill speed) since it's easier to deploy them from the hoods... my limited cross bike experience leads me to think maximum control is had with your hands on the top of the hoods - more leverage than you'd get off the back of the bar in technical situations. I am no expert though.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Yeah, I bought some Paul cross-tops thinking they would be perfect -- but, they are just such a pain to set up and actually have your brakes *feel* good. With the Pauls I added some big rubber bands -- the ones that come on heads of broccoli -- to act as a return spring. Right now I have some Tektros that I may use whe I finish my Crosscheck, but, honestly, I think riding on the hoods is better for off-roading than riding of the flats. On the flats your hands are so close together, forcing your upper body into a clumsy upright position.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Serial Midget said:
I seldom utilize my brakes from the drop position (unless checking downhill speed) since it's easier to deploy them from the hoods... my limited cross bike experience leads me to think maximum control is had with your hands on the top of the hoods - more leverage than you'd get off the back of the bar in technical situations. I am no expert though.
That would be fine for smoother dirt roads, but if you are braking like that in anything rocky(every trail in Texas), you only have your pinky really holding on to the bars. I didn't feel very comfortable with that so I had to ride in the drops going down hill.

I haven't tried the top mounts, they just look useful for off road riding.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wumpus said:
That would be fine for smoother dirt roads, but if you are braking like that in anything rocky(every trail in Texas), you only have your pinky really holding on to the bars. I didn't feel very comfortable with that so I had to ride in the drops going down hill.
Do Colorado trails count? Back in the 70s we didn't have mountain bikes but we still road on dirt trails as kids - I routinely rode my 10 speed on dirt trails with regular road tires - we all did. :D

Anyhow this is the hand position I use when riding off the hoods - the picture makes it look strange but it's comfortable and everything you need, steering, brakes and shifting is right there and easily to operate.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Serial Midget said:
Back in the 70s we didn't have mountain bikes but we still road on dirt trails as kids - I routinely rode my 10 speed on dirt trails with regular road tires - we all did. :D

Have you ever ridden a cross bike with top-mount levers? Do you think that something that didn't really work would take off so much? You can descend technical stuff much better with top-mount levers because they allow you to brake and get your weight back to avoid going over the bars.

As for what I quoted, are you trying to talk this guy into getting a road bike? Like Chris Rock said, "You can do it, but it don't make it a good f'ing idea!"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm.. If you're looking at 'cross bikes, why not go the extra step for something even a little more versitile like a Surly Karate Monkey. That's actually trail worthy, but with 29" wheels, it's more road/commuter friendly.

Plus, it's frickin' cheap.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
Hmm.. If you're looking at 'cross bikes, why not go the extra step for something even a little more versitile like a Surly Karate Monkey. That's actually trail worthy, but with 29" wheels, it's more road/commuter friendly.

Plus, it's frickin' cheap.

BigMike said:
I'm sure the Surly Cross Check is sweet, but...... I can get a deal on the Fuji :)

:D
:monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I never said they didn't work - all I said was you don't have to be in the drops to work the brakes on bikes that do not have frog legs. Anyhow - if you have to hang your ass off the back of a saddle to maintain control then you shouldn't be on a cross bike. "You can do it, but it dont make it a good f'ing idea!"

Secondly no - I am a big proponent of using cross bikes for commuters and general non technical riding.

scofflaw23 said:
Have you ever ridden a cross bike with top-mount levers? Do you think that something that didn't really work would take off so much? You can descend technical stuff much better with top-mount levers because they allow you to brake and get your weight back to avoid going over the bars.

As for what I quoted, are you trying to talk this guy into getting a road bike? Like Chris Rock said, "You can do it, but it don't make it a good f'ing idea!"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Well, it doesn't change the fact that you can get a deal on the Fuji, but the Karate Monkey != Cross Check. Karate Monkey is a 29" MTB.

A real, trail worthy MTB with MTB components but some lighter 29" skinny tires would give you a good commuter, and a bike to do road rides on. It's not a good long distance road bike but for short commutes and such it'd be great.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
Well, it doesn't change the fact that you can get a deal on the Fuji, but the Karate Monkey != Cross Check. Karate Monkey is a 29" MTB.

A real, trail worthy MTB with MTB components but some lighter 29" skinny tires would give you a good commuter, and a bike to do road rides on. It's not a good long distance road bike but for short commutes and such it'd be great.

Gotcha. But I want somthing more road worthy. I'd like to be able to do long distance rides on it, which is why I'm leaning toward the cross. I did a 20 mile road ride on my trail bike, just because (then I did 10 miles off road to make up for it :))

I want to do road rides to just keep in shape, and keep my legs up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
scofflaw23 said:
Have you ever ridden a cross bike with top-mount levers?
I forgot to say - yes. I rode a demo 2001 Kona Jake the Snake for the better part of one summer, part of the kit was Paul's Frog Legs and this one had a triple with a mountain cassette of 12/28. It was a shop build with LX and 105 I never used to granny ring and aside from just riding around town I never used the frog legs much. I rode plenty of trail and hundreds of miles of forest roads - when speed and concentration were key I tended hunker down and ride the hoods, for no particular reason other than it felt right. This bike belonged to my LBS and was loaned out every weekend - it was very popular with a long waiting list. I rode mainly on the weekdays but put hundreds of miles on it. It rocked!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The thing about riding CX bikes on pavement is they are dogs - your effort on the CX will be higher than on a regular road bike. When you select your bike you might want to put up some extra cash and get a set of lighter wheels that you can easily swap out - that way you can mix it up on long rides and get the most out of your bike. You do not have to have CX tires (slow rollers) to pedal fire roads or most dry trails. I do this with regular 26mm touring tires on my old Univega and really have no issues up to about 30 MPH. The problem I do have is wet weather braking - cantis are much more powerful.

Anyhow - if you decided to go on club runs or do other raodie type events - you would be at a disadvantage with heavy cross wheels and tires plus all the best CX tires wear pretty quickly on gravel and pavement.

BigMike said:
I want to do road rides to just keep in shape, and keep my legs up.