Quantcast

So I wanted to ride today. But umm... Wooops

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
So I have been looking to get back on the big bike after my big crash at beacon. So i got ready this morning and loaded the bike up. Started heading out towards blue bucket when out of the corner of my eye I see my left rear wheel roll past my truck.

Great... Long story short had my tires rotated at les schwab a lil while ago and they forgot to torque the lugs. It rattled for about 3 seconds before coming off.

Talk about your buzz kill of the week.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
whoops indeed. les schwab going to pick up the bill? that's a nice gouge in the pavement btw.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
that same thing happened to a freind and I after one of the first PA shuttle days a few years back. Good 'ol les forgot to put in the cotter pin when re doing his rear wheel rebuild... We were lucky to not have flipped and rolled because this happend at full speed on a corner... with 2 big top heavy DH bikes on the top of his subaru..

Les fought him and tried to say it was his fault... but in the end they covered half the repair on his rear brakes since they were toast much like yours look to be...

I would give em hell.....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Les Schwab #1:
My little sisters friend went over to the Apple cup a while back (1994?). She was driving her dads S10 Blazer that was only a few years old (1991?). Her dad had brand new tires put on it right before she left. On the drive home somewhere near Pullman one of the front wheels came off at about 60mph. Went over about 5 times. She was relatively OK, but one of her passengers got pretty messed up. LS denied everything but after the court BS they endend up paying.

Les Schwab #2:
A few years ago the weekend before the first ever PA Shuttle day I discovered one of my tires on my crew-cab was totally shot; I had sold my M1 frame that day so there went that money on a set of new tires.
While at LS they also told me my front brakes were "dangerously low", the rotors were below the legal level to be turned and that my shocks were worn to a point of being "hazardous". My truck only had about 40k miles on it at the time.
I took my truck to a mechanic I trust and he said the brake pads were fine but that the rotors were a little warped. He turned the rotors and everything was good. He also said they looked like that was the first time they had been turned.
He said the shocks were getting old but would be fine for a while. I replaced them anyways.
Best part was that while removing the front tires a total of three wheel studs broke. He said it was because they probably put the lug nuts on with an impact wrench.

Les Schwab #3:
Bought a '81 GMC Jimmy (K5) with no engine or tranny. It was on old POS rims and tires that kept going flat. After I got it up and running I took it to LS to put some tires on it. They told me the biggest they could put on was 31's without a lift then proceeded to high pressure me into buying a four inch lift from them - ~$1200. I declined. I did buy four 31" mudders and four black spoke rims. I told them that I was going to eventually put 33's on there so I wanted 8" rims.
About 20 minutes later the guy drags me out to the shop to show me that there was no rear brakes on the truck at all. No drums, no shoes, etc. He told me that he couldn't legally let me leave the shop in that condition. Front brakes were bad too so ~$1200. I told him I wasn't going to pay THEM that much to do the job and I'll just take my truck and go. I took me another 1/2 hour to get out of the shop and I had to pretty much tell them to take the rims and tires off the truck and put my scabs back on. At that point he relented and told me he didn't see me leave with the truck - I had to go about a mile down the road.
Later my trusted mechanic told me it was illegal for them to tell me they couldn't let me leave in that condition.
I also put a set of 33's on the truck with no lift and never had any clearance issues. But I had to put them on differnt rims because it turned out they had only installed 6.5" rims.

Les Schwab pros:
Decent prices and they are just about everywhere in the country so if you ever have a problem there should be one close enough to get you going again.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
not to self: Les Schwab sucks
I think anyone could tell you that whos gone their before. Unfortunatly sometimes its so hard to not go their though...We've had a few broken lug nuts from them using an impact wrench. Most of the tire stuff my dad does though...he does a much better job.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
That sucks ass!
First thing Les Schwab will ask you did you re-torque the lug nuts after 50 miles.
They only ask this to cover their asses.
Of all the times I've had tire work, I've never recalled being told to retorque the lug nuts. Of course, I'm sure its in tiny writing in the paperwork they give you.... to as you say "cover their asses"