Quantcast

So I was in MD and....

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
last weekend I took a class at the National Fire Academy and it is right across from Camp David. so there is this firefighter bar that everyone walks to in town (about a 1/2 mile away) and this one kid from my class got just plastered. so the next day we are all in class and this kid is not there, well he shows up around lunch time and tells us how he was stumbling around last night trying to get back and ended up at the gate of Camp David at like 3 am. Then he got swarmed by a bunch of Marines with m16's and intarigated for 5 hours.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Welcome to where a lot of us VA/MD monkeys ride. Seriously. Weird shiznit happens up there all the time. LL will probably pipe up with some good stories as well.
firetoole should have brought his ridingtoole if he was going to be so close to the 'shed! The guards at Camp David are, I am quite sure, quite used to disoriented and/or unintentional visitors. The Catoctin Trail meanders pretty close when you're up in the Cunningham Falls/Catoctin Mountain area and the Cat Rock and Bob's Hill Overlooks are nice places to catch one.

Here's a looksy...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
firetoole should have brought his ridingtoole if he was going to be so close to the 'shed! The guards at Camp David are, I am quite sure, quite used to disoriented and/or unintentional visitors. The Catoctin Trail meanders pretty close when you're up in the Cunningham Falls/Catoctin Mountain area and the Cat Rock and Bob's Hill Overlooks are nice places to catch one.

Here's a looksy...
Better map located here: http://home.nps.gov/applications/hafe/hfc/carto-detail.cfm?Alpha=CATO# Camp David (not actually marked on maps) is right under the words "Catoctin Mountain Park" on the map.

Yeah, I've hiked all those Catoctin trails. If there is somebody important up there they close certain trails off and station guards on the trail so you DO NOT pass unintentionally.

My favorite hike up there is up to Bobs Rock to Cat Rock and back. Chimney rocks to Wolf Rocks to Thurmont Vista and back is also a really nice hike. I did it last winter in about 6" of snow right at dusk. Really cool (literally and figuratively).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Better map located here: http://home.nps.gov/applications/hafe/hfc/carto-detail.cfm?Alpha=CATO# Camp David (not actually marked on maps) is right under the words "Catoctin Mountain Park" on the map.

Yeah, I've hiked all those Catoctin trails. If there is somebody important up there they close certain trails off and station guards on the trail so you DO NOT pass unintentionally.

My favorite hike up there is up to Bobs Rock to Cat Rock and back. Chimney rocks to Wolf Rocks to Thurmont Vista and back is also a really nice hike. I did it last winter in about 6" of snow right at dusk. Really cool (literally and figuratively).
As hikes go, they are very fun...especially when you're holdin'. :evil:

Not to recommend doing anything that'll get a guy in trouble, but I used to ride the Salamander Rock trail from Gambrill Park Road to the RTE 15 Overlook, then turned left on the Catoctin Trail down to the trout stream adjacent to Catoctin Hollow Road, up to the Bob's Hill Overlooks, and then back down to my vehicle parked just shy of the Ranger Station where the Catoctin Trail crosses over Catoctin Hollow Road again. It takes about 30 minutes to shuttle the run via Mink Farm and Tower Roads, but talk about a fun and technical ride. I would usually do it during the week, or if necessary, very early in the AM on a w/e before all the hikers woke up.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
What is the Natonal fire academy? You always hear about it in fire publications. Is it a school you go to full time or one where you just go and take a class that lasts a couple days?