Quantcast

So I was sowing my seed last week......

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My tomato plants are already a foot tall. It will be another 2 weeks before they go outside, just to make sure they dont get frosted.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
This year's tomatos are going to be old fashioned red beefsteaks, campbell 1327, Henderson's Golden Ponderosa Tomato (yellow) and Heinz tomatos (like a roma tomato). also Nappa cabbage, cucumbers, zucchini and squash. I'm going to try eggplant this year but haven't ever had much luck with them in the past.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've got to get busy. we aren't sure if we'll be here all summer and are a little wary of putting too much time into a garden we may not harvest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not much of a gardner but I'm trying to get a few peach trees growing along with a bamboo patch.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I'm not much of a gardner but I'm trying to get a few peach trees growing along with a bamboo patch.
Dude, do NOT grow bamboo! What a horribe invasive, impossible to get rid of weed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Dude, do NOT grow bamboo! What a horribe invasive, impossible to get rid of weed.
It is not as invasive as my douchebag redneck neighbors. Show me another way to get a 10 foot tall privacy fence for free and with no work.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
It is not as invasive as my douchebag redneck neighbors. Show me another way to get a 10 foot tall privacy fence for free and with no work.
Just know that once it starts to spread, that "no work" thing will be out the window. You'd save yourself alot of trouble just putting up a fence, in the longrun...
Bamboo has these really tough roots, kind of horizontal rhizomes, that branch out in all directions and pop up new plants. Cutting them off at the surface wont to anything but slow them, and you may have to dig more than three feet to full kill them out. Then, unless you put in some concrete, they'd just grow right back. Seriouly, Bamboo is the worst.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:
Just know that once it starts to spread, that "no work" thing will be out the window. You'd save yourself alot of trouble just putting up a fence, in the longrun...
Bamboo has these really tough roots, kind of horizontal rhizomes, that branch out in all directions and pop up new plants. Cutting them off at the surface wont to anything but slow them, and you may have to dig more than three feet to full kill them out. Then, unless you put in some concrete, they'd just grow right back. Seriouly, Bamboo is the worst.
Two kinds of bamboo, running and clumping.

Running does exactly what you are saying. Clumping does not.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Yeah I have never really done any planting like that on my own, until this year. I am trying pepper plants for a start. For a minute I thought this was going to be a thread about you having a kid.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BurlyShirley said:
My tomato plants are already a foot tall. It will be another 2 weeks before they go outside, just to make sure they dont get frosted.
Yeah, here in NY we get to plant a little bit later than you.
This year is all about tomatoes:
Brandywine, Black Krim, Bucks County, Druzba, Bloody Butcher & some Early Girls.

I'll grow some herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary) and some habaneros.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Squeaver said:
Yeah I have never really done any planting like that on my own, until this year. I am trying pepper plants for a start. For a minute I thought this was going to be a thread about you having a kid.
Done that already - and she likes tomatoes.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mackie said:
Yeah, here in NY we get to plant a little bit later than you.
This year is all about tomatoes:
Brandywine, Black Krim, Bucks County, Druzba, Bloody Butcher & some Early Girls.

I'll grow some herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary) and some habaneros.
All I have are some BetterBoys, and I have 10 of them, so maybe Ill get to slap them on a burger or two. I just move in to a new place, so I didnt get to go all out this year...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Westy said:
If you own the house, I would plant some bushes instead. Bamboo is pretty see through at the bottom.

Some hollies(nellie stevens varieties, I think), conifers, etc.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
BurlyShirley said:

I had tomatoes in the middle of February until the kiddo decided they were ready to be picked.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wumpus said:
If you own the house, I would plant some bushes instead. Bamboo is pretty see through at the bottom.

Some hollies(nellie stevens varieties, I think), conifers, etc.
That sideof the yard has a short section of a steep grade. Since I can't really put anything right on the edge of the road whatever goes there has to be very tall and doesn't need to cover down low. I have some fast growing cedars planted in most areas and thought the bamboo would be a nice touch for the last little bit.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
BurlyShirley said:
How about some privit and japanese honeysuckle to round things off. Maybe a little cudzu along the drive way and some multiflora rose thrown in there too. :)

It will keep me employeed by removing all this stuff after it takes off in all the surrounding areas. Actually, I hate removing all this stuff.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
d.e.f. said:
How about some privit and japanese honeysuckle to round things off. Maybe a little cudzu along the drive way and some multiflora rose thrown in there too. :)

It will keep me employeed by removing all this stuff after it takes off in all the surrounding areas. Actually, I hate removing all this stuff.
Are you the guy with the enviro. science degree?