Quantcast

So I went last night to look at a Honda Fit...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
And brought one home. No funny biz with the price, color was fine, no unnecessary options. It appears to be capable of 2 people, 2 dogs, and 1 bike. I'll test that soon. :cool:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I like those. I went with a Civic instead (which I love), but I still like the Fit.

Honda just seems to make really good cars. My in-laws have a 1989Accord with almost 400,000KM on it that runs like it is brand new.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
How do the brakes feel? Whenever I've driven a Honda (including my car) the brakes feel like crap. They stop fine, just feel crappy.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Not bad. How is the rear leg room?

If Toyota would bring the Wish to the US, I think I'd buy one. Lots of room and pretty comfortable, my favorite cabs in Taiwan.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
My brother-in-law has one of them. Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but is fairly spacious. Cars like that fill the road here...my car is similar.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
Rockland said:
And brought one home. No funny biz with the price, color was fine, no unnecessary options. It appears to be capable of 2 people, 2 dogs, and 1 bike. I'll test that soon. :cool:

There called the honda jazz across here. Very good little car

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
rigidhack said:
I like those. I went with a Civic instead (which I love), but I still like the Fit.

Honda just seems to make really good cars. My in-laws have a 1989Accord with almost 400,000KM on it that runs like it is brand new.

This is the civic you want2006 Honda civic Type R

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
valve bouncer said:
How do the brakes feel? Whenever I've driven a Honda (including my car) the brakes feel like crap. They stop fine, just feel crappy.
Brakes do feel different. Very firm @ the pedal and they don't seem to really get their bite untill the very end. Hard to describe, but not the best feeling brakes.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
Cars like that fill the road here...my car is similar.
Except I bet yours has a spoiler, a backup mirror on the rear, and bull bars front and back, like every other car in Asia...

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Very nice,congrats....
MORE people should get smaller more practical cars that are fuel efficient.They are great to drive..Love those imports !

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
ATOMICFIREBALL said:
Very nice,congrats....
MORE people should get smaller more practical cars that are fuel efficient.They are great to drive..Love those imports !
To each their own. I think more people should do away with their V8 pickups and SUV's unless need be and get the smaller V6 or even 4 banger pickups/SUV's. The next thing I buy will have nothing bigger than a Toyota 4.0 (like in the new Tacoma's) and that's it, that's big enough.

BUT.........we just went through this with my mom a weekend ago. She was in the market for a new car. We looked at the FIT, the Yaris, the Aveo........and she's comming from a larger car so getting in these felt funny. Though they did drive ok, and had lots of interior room I wanted what felt safe to her and for her to get a good deal.

So while looking in the paper I came across this:

And.......after getting the price figured out we got it below dealer invoice, with an extended warranty. Long story short......the car was $16990 window sticker but was advertised for $14990. One at this price deal. The company she works for gets a discount on GM cars. Her discount price was $15680. They tried selling her the car at $15680 + the extended warranty with $2k down and 0 apr. I didn't let that happen. Instead she got the car for $14990, with a basicly bumper to bumper 5 year warranty (while she's paying on it), and 0 apr. I think she pays like $260/month for it.

It was bigger than the above cars said, has a 2.4L Ecotec motor (which are starting to gain popularity in the aftermarket as well), power windows/lock/brakes etc...I think the window sticker said 24 city 36 highway....(something very close to that) and given that it is much bigger than any of the smaller commuter cars out there I thought it was a good deal. Especiall feeling safter in something a little larger BUT still getting good fuel mileage.

So many little cars are out now because of the gas deal. I'd love to be able to go from my pickup truck to a newer, smaller engine pickup truck but that has to wait. I'd love to buy new but jesus that costs alot of $$$. I can't justify spending $400-500 a month on a car payment yet :(

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
That's a Pontiac! She's getting ripped off. :p
Well........we didn't go as far with Honda/Toyota to find out her monthly payment......but for an Aveo withi similar options.....no extended warranty she was looking at $239/month. So for $20 more each month she's in something that isn't a "crackerjack sized" car :)

I know Pontaic isn't the greatest brand of cars ever made but I looked more at the stuff that should last (motor/trans) and both are items that GM has had good track records with. As long as it doesn't fall apart while she's paying on it I don't care. She drives like an old lady so it should be fine. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Spunger said:
Well........we didn't go as far with Honda/Toyota to find out her monthly payment......but for an Aveo withi similar options.....no extended warranty she was looking at $239/month. So for $20 more each month she's in something that isn't a "crackerjack sized" car :)
She'd have been better of with a 20 year old Toyota for $150. :D

I know Pontaic isn't the greatest brand of cars ever made
You win for the understatement of the year! ;)
but I looked more at the stuff that should last (motor/trans) and both are items that GM has had good track records with. As long as it doesn't fall apart while she's paying on it I don't care. She drives like an old lady so it should be fine. :)
The motor/trans probably won't fall apart while she's paying, but everything else likely will.

J/K - I hope she gets years of use out of it. :thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ukjason, no we don't get the new, snazzy ford focus. however we do get the mazda3, volvo S40, and (soon) the volvo S30, all which are based off of the same platform.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ukjason said:
So you dont have any hot hatches across there
honda civic si. no type r, although we got the integra type r briefly.
vw gti
had the ford focus svt (not as cool as an rs or st sadly), but again only briefly

what we do have is the wrx/sti/evo :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
valve bouncer said:

funny. now that you mention it, in retrospective, thats a distinctive memory i have from the few hondas i've driven too.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
Toshi said:
honda civic si. no type r, although we got the integra type r briefly.
vw gti
had the ford focus svt (not as cool as an rs or st sadly), but again only briefly

what we do have is the wrx/sti/evo :D

so do we