Quantcast

So I went to a healthcare town hall tonite...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Good article on the 2009 OECD study on healthcare.

salon.com said:
But perhaps any discussion of healthcare in the developed world ought to begin with a plain fact noted early in this study: Among the OECD's 30 members...there are only three lacking universal health coverage. The other two happen to be Mexico and Turkey, which have the excuse of being poorer than the rest (and until the onset of the world economic crisis, Mexico was on the way to providing healthcare to all of its citizens). The third, of course, is us.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
^^ Awesome video. :thumb:

Could someone explain to me why a not for profit health insurance company who focused on patients' rights and treated their customers like customers couldn't take over the country right now?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Could someone explain to me why a not for profit health insurance company who focused on patients' rights and treated their customers like customers couldn't take over the country right now?
You mean like Kaiser?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
This little gem of thinking by the republicans is why we're all doomed on health care issues

Rather than another top-down government plan, let's give Americans control over their own health care.
Yep, turn over health care to the fattest, most obese, drug dependent citizenry in the world.

<sigh> I give up.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
A guy I know put this up on Facebook:

if health care is such an important issue and "cannot wait another day" as our president states, why then does the plan not kick in until 2013? Also, if healthcare is 17% of our GDP, and is "unsustainable", why is no one talking ...about the government which takes up 22% of our GDP and is expected to rise to 26% of GDP. Why isn't this "unsustainable"? Anyone?
Correct me if I'm wrong here but when a single private industry is within 5% of the government portion of our GDP (which includes military spending), wouldn't that be a bit "unsustainable?"

I also read that our military spending was 45% of the world's total so these are huge numbers that we're talking about.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was chatting with some military moms (my cousin is in the air force) and one of these airheads says they don't want the government running their healthcare, what they have works great. They knew had Tricare and yet they did not get it :think:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A guy I know put this up on Facebook:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but when a single private industry is within 5% of the government portion of our GDP (which includes military spending), wouldn't that be a bit "unsustainable?"

I also read that our military spending was 45% of the world's total so these are huge numbers that we're talking about.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There are mountains of studies that show diet, exercise, and lifestyle choices influence health. Why would you say something so dumb?
i know that ......but....

just going by the number of people on here who bitch about getting sick.....i thought people on this board would be the healthiest of the healthy....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
the funny thing is you probably get sick as often as they do......
No, I don't. But thanks for thinking of me..

you did understand the point right? That a general population that runs to the doc everytime they see a new ad on American Idol for the newest drug that big pharma swears will cure their ails, then stops at McDonalds and supersizes their Big Mac meal then hurries back home to plop on the couch to watch Real Housewives of Atlanta probably aren't the best folks to decide their own healthcare plan??

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I was chatting with some military moms (my cousin is in the air force) and one of these airheads says they don't want the government running their healthcare, what they have works great. They knew had Tricare and yet they did not get it :think:
Why would the Moms have Tricare? Tricare is for active duty, retired (under 65) and their dependents. but yeah, same airheads that are on Tricare and VA care are bitching. Mostly I think bitching to be bitching..

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Just jogged past the US Capitol with the dogs as it was getting tea bagged. Open wide! :eek:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
On the topic of health....I walked by the vending machine last week at work and they these labels on certain food, "Better for you"....you've got to be kidding me. There is nothing in that machine that is "Better for you". Better than what? Eating Crisco?