Quantcast

So I went to my first spinning class last week and.........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
my calf muscles got really tight - almost to the point of cramping up.

Could this be because I hadn't spun like that before, or could it have been because I didn't have the spin bike properly set up in terms of saddle height, distance from the bars etc. etc?

Just wondering what caused it as I thought I had hydrated enough during the day to not cause any type of cramping.

Any thoughts people?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i thought it was cause your saddle was the right height.
thats the same thing that happened to me, when i went to spinning. also FREAKIN BORING!
rather ride in the snow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Could just be that winter has taken a toll on your legs and the muscle got overworked. But I'd say it was a good chance bike setup could be off. I can never get the right foot position or seat height on those darn things.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It was hard to tell whether I was in the right position or not. Next time I'll ask the instructor for some set up assistance. I had to haul ass just to get there in time - luckily a bike was saved for me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
DHS said:
i thought it was cause your saddle was the right height.
thats the same thing that happened to me, when i went to spinning. also FREAKIN BORING!
rather ride in the snow.
I didn't find it boring at all. The instructor was good, the tunes were good, and I kept envisioning myself riding certain sections of road or traill around here or certain sections of last year's Dalton course. :cool:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mark, that happened to me the first couple of spinning classes I ever took. It also happens early in road biking season. After a couple of rides, the cramping goes away. I blame it on early season rustiness.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
lots of spinning & mid winter shape & fixed gears & limited seat height adjustment & 1st class=cramp
umm, yeah my thoughts it was a combo effect

spin class? boring? when I go it hurts too much to be boring!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
I didn't find it boring at all. The instructor was good, the tunes were good, and I kept envisioning myself riding certain sections of road or traill around here or certain sections of last year's Dalton course. :cool:
Your avatar needs more pig.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
when I thik I need to push a little harder I envision being in a race, and either trying to catch someone and/or trying to drop someone :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What do you mean by "you thought you hydrated enough during the day"? Just curious, because I've found that hydration is a lot more than just drinking a lot of water.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
What do you mean by "you thought you hydrated enough during the day"? Just curious, because I've found that hydration is a lot more than just drinking a lot of water.
Well I mean during the day I got plenty of fluids and I also ate sensibly and had meals that would prepare me to be ready for the class.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
MMcG said:
Well I mean during the day I got plenty of fluids and I also ate sensibly and had meals that would prepare me to be ready for the class.
Cool. I'd say just keep going to the classes, your legs will get used to it :p

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, who knows...cramps are mysterious. Definitely make sure your bike is setup right because you don't want to cause knee problems. Most spin bikes have enough adjustments that there should be no problem.

Riding is never boring.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Yeah man, I made a pretty good sized pool of sweat when I did one :D

I brought a big bath towel with me otherwise I would have had a lot of sweat underneath the spin bike as well. It was cool to be spinning with my girlfriend. I love the fact that she likes to be active. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
SkaredShtles said:
That won't help the cramping..... you need to have a pint with you on the bike.

Burger on the bike wouldn't hurt either. :p

-S.S.-

That would be funny wouldn't it? Come in to class and throw a pint of beer in the water bottle holder and chow down on a big juicy burger whilst spinning! I bet that would turn a few heads in the class.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I hear you. Just commenting on the overall unfairness of how you can bust a$$ for an hour exercizing, but counteract it so easily. It would be so much easier if I didn't like drinking beer so much.............

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
I hear you. Just commenting on the overall unfairness of how you can bust a$$ for an hour exercizing, but counteract it so easily. It would be so much easier if I didn't like drinking beer so much.............

It's all about balance Steve - imagine if you didn't bust your ass having fun on a bike or skating or skiiing and then consumed the beer and burger......see what I mean?

And man did that Guinness go down good that night! mmmmmm. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
berkshire_rider said:
I'd waste away to a shadow if I didn't eat like crazy.

I'd probably have to eat 2 burgers and 4 beers to compensate for 75 minutes of spinning. :thumb:

-S.S.-

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
McG, Westy, Douglas AND IAB all have the same Avatar?

C'mon guys... even in the fairy tales there were only 3 little pigs.

This is too confusing.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
It's all about balance Steve - imagine if you didn't bust your ass having fun on a bike or skating or skiiing and then consumed the beer and burger......see what I mean?
And man did that Guinness go down good that night! mmmmmm. :drool:
I'm getting re-balanced after work today - joining a new gym. I've done zero exercise the last 2 months since I moved. :dead:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
-BB- said:
McG, Westy, Douglas AND IAB all have the same Avatar?

C'mon guys... even in the fairy tales there were only 3 little pigs.

This is too confusing.

Thanks to Wumpus - mine has green eyes now. And I think Westy's are red. :thumb:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
-BB- said:
I saw where Stosh said it anoyed him, but this is rediculous.
I never read a persont' name. I recognize them by their Avatar.
Now what do I do?
;)
You're a mod can't you just change their avatars back?

<thinking> imagine the hubbub that would cause </thinking>