Quantcast

so I went to this bike shop today......

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
and I went to go see how much it cost to get my disc tabs faced and they didnt have a facer!!!

no joke

they sell high end XC and Dh bikes too, i was pretty surprised. And the only reason I was there was because the other shop charges 20 bucks a SIDE. :nuts:

[/rant] :blah:

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
I figured it was kinda basic routine when preparing a frame to get built up

and since a road shop by my house does it...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
We have never, ever had to face disk brake tabs. Wasn't that something that was a problem with Magura brakes? And they make the tool, right? And I haven't seen a shop that does have one, actually.

***and $20.00 a side is outrageous.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
dang, that weird, like every other shop round here has one

hope makes of too i believe

anybody think its worth it to get done?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I have never even heard of a disc break tab facer... Why would they need to be faced in the first place? What are you riding, a Huffy?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
when you face a tab, you are removing the paint from the tabs. It smoothes the surface and makes both tabs perfectly even and straight. Uses would be for brakes that directly mount, like Hopes, some Shimanos, and Maguras. Same concept as facing a headtube or BB.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
motomike said:
when you face a tab, you are removing the paint from the tabs. It smoothes the surface and makes both tabs perfectly even and straight. Uses would be for brakes that directly mount, like Hopes, some Shimanos, and Maguras. Same concept as facing a headtube or BB.
yea thats why im wondering if i should get it done since ive got M4's on the way

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hope makes the tool. That should tell you something.

Customer, "My brakes squeak."
Mech, "Your tabs need to be faced"

Honestly, my old shop has one. Unless there is an issue, I really don't see the need. If the frame has a really think coat of paint/powder, you can scrap it off with a knife. There will still be some misalignment from weld distortion, but removing the soft paint should get you 90% there.