Quantcast

So I went today to buy a Honda Fit...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
and it seems not only are they hard to find but they also sell for $1500.00 over MSRP. Making the mid level model a shade over $18,000.00. On the same lot they are selling 2006 Accord Sedans for $19,999.00 (for well qualified buyers, that is). So what do you think I did? I bought an Accord sedan. No leather and no sunroof... still a few steps above my former econo box. I also looked at a Subaru Outback - $26,000.00 plus they only get 22 or 25 mpg. I think they are cool looking but for some reason when it comes time to pony up - I don't.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
good choice on the accord :thumb: . i was wondering about that myself, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of pricing breathing room between the fit, the civic, and the accord, even before ridiculous markups.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I never got to drive the FIT but I did like the idea of 40MPG, it is pretty small though, taller than a Civic but shorter. I don't understand pricing on Honda's either. I bought a 4 cylinder LX.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
What color? I think the new accords look nice.

Anyone looking at the Fit for the storage capacity should have a look at the Toyota Matrix - I am getting 26.5 city and 30 mpg for a half-n-half mix, by the way. (auto transmission)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
bjanga said:
What color? I think the new accords look nice.

Anyone looking at the Fit for the storage capacity should have a look at the Toyota Matrix - I am getting 26.5 city and 30 mpg for a half-n-half mix, by the way. (auto transmission)
Silver, they had red and black but the silver one was easiest to get off the lot so thats what I bought.

I looked at a Matrix when I bought the Aveo, I chose the Chevy based on price only. At the time I was low on funds and the low $$$ talked. I can suggest it anyone who needs basic transportation, I had no problems with it at all. Except I never liked it.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i like the corrolla myself but then i like all the other cars mentioned though no chevys...their styling lacks any sort of ...well ...style

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
allsk8sno said:
i like the corrolla myself but then i like all the other cars mentioned though no chevys...their styling lacks any sort of ...well ...style
I actually test drove a Toyota Corolla S, it was nice but I'd already decided I wanted a Honda so I had tunnel vision. ;)

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
i thought that it was going to be "I went today to buy a Honda Fit..."

...and i came back with an S2000.

I drive a civic. And it's got the honda factory performance kit or whatever... which is nicer wheels, the wing, and a body kit. Nice looking car, but nowhere close to as fast as it looks. the beast has 128 HP! :nopity:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
AirAddict said:
i thought that it was going to be "I went today to buy a Honda Fit..."

...and i came back with an S2000.

I drive a civic. And it's got the honda factory performance kit or whatever... which is nicer wheels, the wing, and a body kit. Nice looking car, but nowhere close to as fast as it looks. the beast has 128 HP! :nopity:
the Si has 197, iirc, and the S2000 is no slouch either :D ...

midget, here are the spinners for you!

spinner hubcaps

http://www.actionsalvage.com/Music/spinner_movie.mpg ehhehe

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Assuming that the Honda Fit is the same car in the US as it is here, I'm amazed it's that expensive. Less than $15,000 here and far from rare. I've generally found that US and Japan prices on the same cars are pretty close (on-road coss are the killer here). Go the Accord anyway midge, I've driven a Fit a few times and wasn't that impressed.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
valve bouncer said:
Assuming that the Honda Fit is the same car in the US as it is here, I'm amazed it's that expensive. Less than $15,000 here and far from rare. I've generally found that US and Japan prices on the same cars are pretty close (on-road coss are the killer here). Go the Accord anyway midge, I've driven a Fit a few times and wasn't that impressed.
All the FITS here seem to be loaded with options with makes the price higher. Honda restricts availability of new models making them hard to get. Its all about hype and marketing. The FIT is GO.

My new commute involves stop and go traffic so everything I looked at was an automatic. The FIT (or Jazz) is not offered in the states with the variablematic belt drive. Our style of driving is at odds with whatever performance it delivers. I did like the idea though. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Brian HCM#1 said:
You realize with a new car you'll be king of the trailer park:thumb:
The car of choice at "Lots by the Lake" seems to be a Cadillac DeVille. I think I might be the fastest bike rider in the whole park so there won't be any need for a status enhancing vehicle. :D

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I was tempted to wait for the Fit, but I bought a Civic instead. I love it and it gets the same MPG as the Fit. Managed to get a 2006 5spd LX brand spankin' new for a good chunk of change less than sticker price ($17,600) AFTER destination charge, tax title, license, registration and inspection fee. (I love internet shopping!)