Quantcast

So i won my first BMX race...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
man that was fun! i can't believe it took me this long to get started in bmx. I had this week off from school for fall break so i took noah to the track on thursday to see if he like it. he dialed the gate start after only three tries and he just kept doing run after run for the two hours of practice.
so i went out on friday and found a used redline jr. for $150 and snagged it for him.
we hit up the race this evening. there were only 4 riders in the cruiser class and two of them were over 40 so they split us up. i raced a dude that i thought was going to smoke me as he's a bmx veteran (39yrs old). somehow, i managed to eek out a win on each moto; the last being a very close race.
noah won all three of his moto's against 2 other 7yr olds and got 3rd overall after the main event that put him against all of the 7yr olds from the other moto's. he got his little 3rd place trophy and is totally stoked on racing bmx :thumb:

anyway, i'm an idiot and forgot to take my camera. i'm so pissed 'cause his gate start is just plain sick! he's even started to work the lights and is moving before the gate even drops.

well, that's all i have to say for now....dang that was fun!!! i wish mtb races could be as well organized and family friendly:twitch:

no action shots yet...but noah on his new bmx ride.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Awesome dude. I had a ton of fun racing BMX as a kid. It taught me a few valuable skills, such as gate starts and the art of crashing.

Do they have a mtn. bike class?

Which track did ya'll go to?

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
You wanna do old boy on old boy, fat ass on fat ass 26" bmx some time?
I'd make the drive, but there has to be a cocktail handicap.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Awesome dude. I had a ton of fun racing BMX as a kid. It taught me a few valuable skills, such as gate starts and the art of crashing.

Do they have a mtn. bike class?

Which track did ya'll go to?
it was at tanglewood in clemmons. i raced in the cruiser class and there was another mtb guy in the 40+ category.

you folks should come out sometime....we could make a big showing on the big bikes.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Funny! I was watching Noah ride some at Clemson and wondered if he was racing any bmx?
Thinking he should get some racing in against kids his own age. I know he will kick some booty!
I know he holds his own against older kids and beats some of them on MTB. But, racing someone really
close to your age and speed pushes to get the most out of you as a racer.
Plus the fact that Bmx racing is very important foundation for all types of bike riding and just fun.
I've always said every kid should race BMX and play peewee football. Both instill hardwork
and a skill set that will take you thoughout athletics of any kind in the future.
One teaches you to depend "only on yourself" and the other to play as a team.
Racing some BMX will really make you guys fast! Awesome to see yah doin' it!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
manimal, you should talk to steven. i bet he will get out and race some, i am trying to do one if i'm ever home on one of those days.
but the thing is...i like having a chance...and steven is waaaay faster than me ;) steven is banned from tanglewood on nights that i race ;)

actually, i noticed how much faster i was getting by following some of the faster folks around the track. i don't have the gate start and manual skills as nailed down as most of the fast guys but they were all complimentary on my berm skills....i guess that comes from trying to work with small dusty berms found on most DS courses ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Brandon...I've been doing the same thing at Hendersonville. My first race this season was against one guy in my age group and 2 15 year old 20" Experts who grabbed their cruisers to race with me.

Check out my lack of knowledge of momentum in the turns. I got a bad gate and went from 4th to 2nd on these two moves...both in the same moto...then immediately back to 4th as the all rolled down off the berms and practically coasted past me. Got big props for roosting on flat ground from the groms...but no trophy. :D

Turn 1:

Turn 3:

Finish Line :shakefist: :

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i think its time for you to move up now. haha

i would if i could. the cruiser class is pretty much open and is only separated by age. there are several other cruiser racers that didn't show saturday and i hear they're super fast so i doubt there will be a repeat of my first race anytime soon ;)

i would urge you to come out and race but you'd distract everyone with the whistle noise coming from your head as the wind rushed through the ginormous holes in your ears ;)

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Bizutch you gotta take control of their line and shut em down if you're gonna
try that move. Then they have NO momentum. Just ease right up on em' till almost contact, take the line then slight brake check one two one two!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Bizutch you gotta take control of their line and shut em down if you're gonna
try that move. Then they have NO momentum. Just ease right up on em' till almost contact, take the line then slight brake check one two one two!
Oh yeah...brake check would have given me 2nd for sure...but I wasn't concerned with 2nd. I wanted to put that denim clad grom over the berm...purple hair and all... :twitch::imstupid:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
butch, you have no sack unless you race bmx on your wife's rig! (if it's still in one piece after clemson ;) )
Gotta admit bro...I made believers out of the masses. I just kept thinking to myself..."5 Years ago...this WAS a DH bike!" Nothing like tightening your crank arm before every run.

Can't believe nobody got a pic of me roosting on it. :disgust1:

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
i would urge you to come out and race but you'd distract everyone with the whistle noise coming from your head as the wind rushed through the ginormous holes in your ears ;)[/QUOTE]

hey what can i say the holes in my ears payed off after all. but ya i definatly am gona get out there sometime. can i race my sx?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
no, it's waaay too fast. you will only be allowed to race a full on DH bike ;)

there was a dude on there on a santa cruz superlight xc rig. he had the seat all the way down and it kept smacking his butt.

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
haha. i bet you liked it. although it would be funny to race my demo i think ill stick with my sx untill i get in beter shape. one day ill show up with the demo though, i probly will die if i race it.