Quantcast

So I'm buying a gun and have tough decissions...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok so I'm getting a .22 rifle and don't know what I really want. Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking of a semi-auto tube feed or a lever action one. I've done A LOT of shooting growing up and well, I'd rather have a mini 14 ranch rifle but can't afford that so a .22 will do.

Jakeowens

Chimp
Feb 8, 2007
Get something tube feed. Loading is sooooo much faster and easier. I like to burn up .22 ammo though.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
If you like the mini14, did you consider a Saiga in .223?? Not a bad gun for the $$, probably about half the cost of a mini. They've probably been banned in Kali.

Last edited:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Obviously you won't go wrong with a 10/22, however when I got my .22 I went pretty cheap. I got the Savage model 93, bolt action, it was about $150 so its clearly not the best rifle ever, but it is surprisingly accurate, I've been able to get 8 inch groups at 200 yards with bulk ammo. A buddy got the Savage mark 2 with the heavy barrel and thumbhole stock and that thing is incredibly accurate. He'll routinely set up .22 shells on a log at 100yds and plink them off one right after the other.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I had a Remington 597 - the laminated stainless steel version - and handed it down to my brother a few years ago. It was an accurate, fun little rifle and I never experienced any of the feeding issues that I've heard about with it.