Quantcast

So, i'm classified as Above averagly unhealthy?

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
LA Fitness was at our school the other day and I did their body fat tester. Turns out I have %4.2 body fat and 22.9BMI. Since I'm 5'6", 142lbs, my BMI is in the 28th percentile. I found it interesting that I should have more fat on me because having so little is the unhealthy part. It's weird because i'll eat over 3,000 calories a day and barely gain anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
check to see if any worms are wiggling about in your stool

manziman said:
LA Fitness was at our school the other day and I did their body fat tester. Turns out I have %4.2 body fat and 22.9BMI. Since I'm 5'6", 142lbs, my BMI is in the 28th percentile. I found it interesting that I should have more fat on me because having so little is the unhealthy part. It's weird because i'll eat over 3,000 calories a day and barely gain anything.
What's in the 3 Kcal?

Alzo, don't get too hung up on the numbers, they change the standard almost weekly.

Oh, I forgot, it's the cornrows... :D

J

JRB

Careful what you wish for. I was 6 feet and 145 lbs in 1996. Now I am not.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So wait... you had a business come to your school and tell you, that you were unhealthy?

WTF?
You're still in High School right?

F'ing LA.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
If it makes you feel any better, I got the same thing when I was tested in high school. I was(and still am) 5'7" and 118lbs. 3.2% body fat. This was when I was training hardcore on my road bike 5-6 days a week, and they said, well sir, you are not healthy, and out of shape. The hell I am!

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
stosh said:
So wait... you had a business come to your school and tell you, that you were unhealthy?

WTF?
You're still in High School right?

F'ing LA.
no, i'm 2 and a half years out of high school, in El Cajon (San Diego), and I figured it out all by myself. but yes, F'ing LA.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
manziman said:
BMI doesn't really work for athletes. There has been a bit of a lashing out at it because of how it ranks people and I'm surprised they are using it as anything to rank your health.

As for the unhealthy body fat, I've been hovering around 6% and lower for the past four years, with the exception of when I tore my ACL and when I discovered beer. Feel fine, eat well, etc. There are some consequences to being extremely underweight, but I haven't given them much thought. Just make sure you are getting enough vitamins, especially iron and calcium.

The Ito

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
man, I just got back from a ride, and discovered how being very skinny can suck. I got a huge gash on my leg and nearly passed out. I've passed out 2 times by cutting my hand and losing some blood. It royally sucks.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
motomike said:
man, I just got back from a ride, and discovered how being very skinny can suck. I got a huge gash on my leg and nearly passed out. I've passed out 2 times by cutting my hand and losing some blood. It royally sucks.
Dude moto mike you are pinner skinny. If you werent such a righteous southern shredder id have to say you were on meth. I could prb fit in with the meth addict BMI catagory myself.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Those BMI tables are B.S. When I was at my peak fitness as a gymanst I was 5' 11" and 187lbs and about 7% to 8% body fat. Those charts say I was overweight.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Ohhhhh....I'm fat, you're skinny- You get none and I get plenty, Dooo Daaaa Dooo Daaaa Dayyyyyyyyy.

Thank you

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
manziman said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much; I'm sure their evaluation was just part of their sales pitch. They will tell everyone they are fat, and they must get into a gym to lose weight and stay healthy. If you ride your bike all the time, I find it hard to believe that you're unhealthy. You have to watch those fitness centers, they are about as sneaky as PriAmerica... :think:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Look at that 49's football player that bit the dust. He was grossly obease according to the BMI chart, but since BMI doesn't count muscle he probably wasn't that bad. Most athletes that play say football and possibly other sports would be obease. BMI needs a revamp. Seriously!

I'm 5'11, 245. Yes I feel fat a little bit. Truthfully BMI says I'm a 33 I think which isn't good :( but I have huge thighs from riding and running, calves are big, arms are ok, but my shoulders and neck are large. Maybe if I get down to 220-210 I'll feel better :)

If you want a real fat/muscle test you gotta do that tank test which I think is expensive. Like seen on celebrity fit club etc... That measures exactly what you fat to muscle ratio is and how much you really are overweight.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Spunger said:
Look at that 49's football player that bit the dust. He was grossly obease according to the BMI chart, but since BMI doesn't count muscle he probably wasn't that bad.
He was 300+ pounds. I'd say the ole' BMI chart hit the coffin nail on the head in his case...