Quantcast

So I'm concussed...

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
Hard crash last saturday riding dh....fast as hell to a dead stop. Nowhere near as violent as countless other crashes, nowhere near as much road rash, but it was 30+ to a dead stop via head and elbow, it scared me and for a day or so I thought I was just a bit spooked by the crash. I slowly realized I was showing all the signs of a concussion, thought I'd just rest, take some time off from work yada yada and it'd go away. Tried to work this morning, everything hurt, went to the doc, got diagnosed, had a ct scan, spinal xrays, and an elbow xray as that may be broken.

Anyways, STUPID question coming up. I'm relegated to more or less sitting around with minimal stimuli so I can just take it easy, no bright lights, loud noises, etc. I'm wondering, does alcohol directly have an adverse effect on someone with head trauma? I'm sitting around for days, friends are goin off to school, is having a few beers, and then MAYBE a few more going to result in negative effects?

Everything I've read says no alcohol and drugs for the obvious reasons....cause you may act like a fool, hit your head again, or cause some sort of head trauma by whatever means and then you could be in a lot of trouble as hitting your head while being concussed can result in serious brain damage. I know it's a stupid idea, but I"m supposed to sit here until next wednesday like a vegetable and it's killing me.

Sooooo....tell me I'm a shmuck, it's a horrible idea?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'd stay away from the booze.

Perhaps for no other good reason that it couldn't help. Unless you particularly don't care about your brain.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I think it sounds like it is time to just sit back and relax and enjoy the bordom without the aid of booze, pot or any other form of illegal entertainment.
You smacked your head pretty good, don't be a fool and take any chances of fvckin' yourself up any worse