Quantcast

so i'm going in for a test build next week

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
IMHO its pretty lame when the engineer of an unnamed company claims that a certain frame doesn t need any prep... yes, it was stated clearly in a thread somewhere on RM

another thomson gouged to hell... :angry:

:stosh:
Spirally patterns are great. It looks cool. :stupid: :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
johnbryanpeters said:
OK, thanks, that makes sense. Couldn't see effectively stretching a high tensile steel cable.
I recall reading once your not really stretching the cable any, but rather setting in the housings to where they stop moving (for the most part). Ive used the flak jaket derailler cable for years and over time the wire ends slowly creep out of the housing, its amplified when you use the housing for brakes.

All my bikes over the past few years ive built up myself from scratch. Most of the stuff the shop guys mentioned i do so that makes me feel like ive learned to do something correct in life.....

J

JRB

I pee down my leg while I install cables. It seems to make them stretch out.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
caputo1989 said:
On Pro-builds pull the BB and grease it. (pro build=$500+)
I've done my shop time and now I only build for me. Each of my builds are over 4 hours long. But once the bike is done, she's dialed. The details get to qusi-anal levels. I measure side to side dist. for mountain bikes bars and shifter/levers, down to 1/32 of an inch. Road bars are even more interesting. Head tube and BB gets faced/chased and seat tube is honed at the LBS. When I get it back, I bevel the seat tube opening and edges so as to not gouge the post. If it's a steel frame, it gets FrameSaver spray'd in. Anti-seized is used on BBs cup threads and then it's wrapped in Teflon tape. I really like this combo and haven't had a creaky BB in forever now. Breather holes are epoxied if frame is steel. Stays are first wrapped w/ inner tube and then w/ StayWrap. I handbuild all my own wheels and they're potentially up to 1.5 hours a wheel (Mavics and DT Swiss rims go together much quicker than Suns). I've been using cartridge bearing hubs lately and haven't had to do many freepack hubs. But when I was doing them, they get adjusted on bike and not off. Only use the 1.1mm cable for rear shifting. Housing have been FlackJacets lately and it gets the ends flattened w/ a Dremel after the cut. Talc the tube (if tubes are used). I've switched to the fiber tape for rim strips, but was using Velox on every wheel. I also used to solder all my cable ends instead of end caps. But my soldering iron broke. I think I'll have to get one of those Cold Fusion soldering irons I've been seeing on late night TV.
I guess if I was doing this for someone, $500.00 would be about right. Either that or she's REALLY cute, or else they're REALLY good buds.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Pau11y said:
I've done my shop time and now I only build for me. Each of my builds are over 4 hours long. But once the bike is done, she's dialed. The details get to qusi-anal levels. I measure side to side dist. for mountain bikes bars and shifter/levers, down to 1/32 of an inch. Road bars are even more interesting. Head tube and BB gets faced/chased and seat tube is honed at the LBS. When I get it back, I bevel the seat tube opening and edges so as to not gouge the post. If it's a steel frame, it gets FrameSaver spray'd in. Anti-seized is used on BBs cup threads and then it's wrapped in Teflon tape. I really like this combo and haven't had a creaky BB in forever now. Breather holes are epoxied if frame is steel. Stays are first wrapped w/ inner tube and then w/ StayWrap. I handbuild all my own wheels and they're potentially up to 1.5 hours a wheel (Mavics and DT Swiss rims go together much quicker than Suns). I've been using cartridge bearing hubs lately and haven't had to do many freepack hubs. But when I was doing them, they get adjusted on bike and not off. Only use the 1.1mm cable for rear shifting. Housing have been FlackJacets lately and it gets the ends flattened w/ a Dremel after the cut. Talc the tube (if tubes are used). I've switched to the fiber tape for rim strips, but was using Velox on every wheel. I also used to solder all my cable ends instead of end caps. But my soldering iron broke. I think I'll have to get one of those Cold Fusion soldering irons I've been seeing on late night TV.
I guess if I was doing this for someone, $500.00 would be about right. Either that or she's REALLY cute, or else they're REALLY good buds.
I am slightly more anal than you. Loser. :) You only talk the tubes? What about the inside of the tyres? I find I get the best results using a coarser talk on the tyres and a finer product on the tubes. Also you should stop soldering the ends of your cables and use a laser cutter. It's not the 19th centuary any more! When you bevel your seat tube, do you do it down to 2000 grit? I bet you don't.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
stoney98 said:
Also, get into a ritual of how you assemble the bike.
Take it out of the box, put in the seat/post, carefully put the bike into the stand. Then take off packaging, attach the bars, and adjust the shifting until crisp. Put on front wheel making sure it is properly in the dropout, check for true (take the wheels off and true/tension if necessary). Adjust the brakes, Grease and put on pedals and reflectors. Then take the bike out of stand and adjust HS, the bar tilt, and stem alignment. No bike is finished until you take it for a test ride. Shift it through all the gears, pedal it, sudden stop it, listen to it, and correct anything not right.

-stone
Good advice. I also take off the cranks and adjust the BB and after that I set all the der. limits. Don't cut corners and assume something was set from the distributer. Even if the last 10 bikes you did were fine it is always the 1 bike you didn't check that your new boss will notice. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. And play the radio/tunes loud so people don't distract you while you're concentrating on a detail. If you have to walk away from a build make a note of where you left off. If you have to start over and take 2 hours to do a build I will yell at you and call you and idiot and claim you're ****ing me over. Buy a note pad so that you can refer to problems you had with certain bikes. Be organized. Watch your tools. Never leave your apron laying around. Don't leave food in your toolbox. Buy your own tools eventually. If someone borrows a tool and doesn't return it by the time you need it. Call them on it. Make sure you point out mistakes made by others as they also reflect on you. Don't be a bitch. If you're not sure about something, tell the customer that. Never lie to a customer, let your boss do that. If he/she lies to enough customers find another gig.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
glad this thread got bumped back up. i should be getting bumped up to a bike builder at my shop job sometime in the next few weeks and while ill start with kids bikes any advice helps so they dont think im a ****ty mechanic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My first real job was building exercise bikes at Billson's Sport Shop until they trusted me to build bmx and kids bikes. I moved up to road bikes and worked the skate shop when they put it in.

I later moved to Cycle Masters across town and road raced for them my 10th and 11th grade years. Not a bad first job by any means, but I could never see doing it for a living because my brain would fall asleep.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i never did have to do a test build. i seem to have skipped the whole "bike builder" stage. which is awesome. pay is awesome. discount is awesome. the other mechs seem cool. my first day is Saturday. i'm more nervous about the computer system than anything else. i'll get over that real quick, though, as i'm scheduled to work 33hrs between next Thursday and Sunday. yea work, yea money, yea...yea.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
the Inbred said:
i never did have to do a test build. i seem to have skipped the whole "bike builder" stage. which is awesome. pay is awesome. discount is awesome. the other mechs seem cool. my first day is Saturday. i'm more nervous about the computer system than anything else. i'll get over that real quick, though, as i'm scheduled to work 33hrs between next Thursday and Sunday. yea work, yea money, yea...yea.
congrats a shop gig would be great

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
the Inbred said:
Hey congratulations!

So you got a college degree to work in a bike shop?

Where you working?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
the Inbred said:
1. Wear pants.

2. Edward 40 hands at work MAY cause some problems.