Quantcast

So I'm going to be a dad.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm selfish, I'll admit it. I like being able to leave the house whenever I want and not have it take two hours. All I have to do is find someone to feed the cat and dog and we can leave for a weekend. I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet haha.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't worry, you'll have to plan a little bit more in advance for those same weekend getaways, but that is what the grandparents are for.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I'm selfish, I'll admit it. I like being able to leave the house whenever I want and not have it take two hours. All I have to do is find someone to feed the cat and dog and we can leave for a weekend. I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet haha.
Yup. It gets harder to find people to feed the animals once you ask them to watch the tiny human by the way :)

Congrats!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

this is my life right now... you'll understand!

oh, and congrats :cheers:

(btw, weren't you just married this summer or spring? not wastin' any time eh?!?!??!)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But when they are little and before they can talk, they can't do this to you at 7:36! It was so easy when they were first born.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Congrats. My wife is just over 7 weeks from being due, and it still hasn't quite hit me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Congrats. You have a few months to get blitzed and have a ride home everytime. Take advantage of it. It probably won't happen again for 16 years.
Also, do every dangerous thing you have ever thought about doing. You won't be allowed to very soon.
Lastly, go get some 30 yr term life insurance for the value of your home and 4 yrs of college in CA. You'll thank me later when you don't have to stress about it later.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Don't fail as a parent. If they do not scream at the top of their lungs "I hate you" and storm out of the room, you failed as a parent.

And be their parent, not their buddy. Teach them to lose, not everybody can win.

BTW, congo rats.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I went for a riding trip to Costa Rica 2 months before the due date.

I'm sure you can shave a couple of weeks off that.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congrats. You have a few months to get blitzed and have a ride home everytime. Take advantage of it. It probably won't happen again for 16 years.
Also, do every dangerous thing you have ever thought about doing. You won't be allowed to very soon.
Lastly, go get some 30 yr term life insurance for the value of your home and 4 yrs of college in CA. You'll thank me later when you don't have to stress about it later.
Overly negative. No reason why you can not go out and have fun once in a while. Kids don't want boring parents :)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Overly negative. No reason why you can not go out and have fun once in a while. Kids don't want boring parents :)
You're telling me that you went out crazy style the first two years?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, that is what I am telling you. Even easier with the first one. Both of you do not need to take care of the baby at the same time all the time. I have two boys now and and nothing changed with number two. Don't get me wrong I am not a big party guy but its nice to get out once in a while in the NYC night life before you end up being the old guy in the club.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Congratulations to you and the Mrs. and best wishes!!!!

I'm a mother of 2 (almost 7 and 7 months old) and can safely say you will adjust and I still get plenty of ride time. Did I ride MTB more pre-kids....sure just about everyday, but now I commute whenever I can and still get to MTB atleast twice a week (once with Mr. TreeSaw). The key is knowing that your kids need you to be a healthy and happy parent and if MTB is what makes that happen then you should be doing it. Enjoy every minute with them and know that babies are definitely portable (but, per my almost 7 year old..."they sure do take up a lot of space") :)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Congrats. My wife is just over 7 weeks from being due, and it still hasn't quite hit me.
I think that's the part women don't really get. My wife isn't even showing yet, so it's still business as usual. I don't think it will really hit me until the kid pops out.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My best friend is a State Farm agent, so I've already been swindled for insurance.

The other thing that has helped is my nephew is almost 2. I already have him riding a bike.

Last edited: