Quantcast

So, I'm going to UC Santa Barbara in a few weeks!

GregBik3r

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Bay Area, CA
I've been out of the MTB scene for awhile now, and I've been off the bike. I sold my downhill bike to get a CR125, and didn't ride the slalom bike for a long time.

...but in about 3 weeks I'm going to start school at UC Santa Barbara...and you KNOW I'm bringing my slalom bike!

Trail directions, shop suggestions, DJ spots, etc are all appreciated.

Thanks guys!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Sell our cr125 and get a DH bike. The trails around there are incredible.

But some usefull advice is to make sure you double glove it. UCSD leads in STDs especial AIDS. No joke. It's like a big STD fest up there in Isla Vista.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You mean H-IV? I don't know how much is rumor or statistic, but bag it anyway ;)

S.B. has great riding of all kinds. Long epic XC, long gnarly DH. There are some jumps in Ellwood, near UCSB and IV. There is also Moore Mesa (jump spot) and Ellings park (BMX, XC, and a few push runs)

Shops? I'd say Bicycle Bob's and Velo Pro are both great shops.

My best advice is get a good lock if you live in I.V. and lock whenever its out of eye sight, even indoors, even if your roomate is there. Theft of bikes is a tradition, so get a beater and make sure its unappealing.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
If you're really into moto, there is a freestyle park less than an hour away in Piru. They have a pretty nice track there that you can ride...

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
ok so here goes...... if ur going to ussb im asuming u going to live in isla vista.......dont take ur eys off it.....dont take it to class......buy a beater bike...like a supid cheap ass cruzer....ur really close to the ellwood dirt jumps...and the cortina bros are working on a slalem corse! closest full dh shop velo pro goleta at 9648355 or there down town shop at 9637775. theres also djs at more mesa ...... u can ask velo pro for all the directions........best trails cold spings and tunnel....maby we can get a shuttle going!ok im oliver later

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah man go to velo pro and ellings tords the back is a slalom trail made buy the cortina brothers and if you want you can rent Dh bikes from Velopro in Goleta For know until you buy a DH rig the best trail is cold springs an tunnel with san yesidro thier are deffinitly a few good jumps up in ellwood and if you ask velo pro guys for direction do to DH run in ellings go for it becasue their is goignto be a race thier this year and it is never to early to pratice and shure man bag it and make sure the number one thing you neeed t odo is buy a **** bike because your bike will be gone so fast you wont know what hits you

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I ride DH, and im moving to UCSB too. I plan on keeping my Karpiel (partially broken down) in my dorm rooms whenever I'm not riding DH.

Gregbiker - what dorm are you in?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
If you live in the dorms, buy a lock and keep that thing locked to your bed - no joke. Same goes for IV apartments, since they will be trafficked (sp?) almost equally as much as a dorm. It will disappear on you if it's not locked down, even if it is broken. Even if you have a cheapo XC hardtail, that will disappear if you park it outside your dorm there (trust me). You can find POS bikes all over IV or on craigslist for dirt cheap and use that for class.

Knapp's Castle is a good starter trail for the area too if you don't feel like getting mauled by Tunnel right away, and also the best trail to get a lot of riding in since it's a fast shuttle. PM me to shuttle if you'd like.

As for the IV situation....yeah, rubber the hell up every time. They say that for big party schools it's something like 1 out of 3 people have some kind of STD, but if you use the ratio 3 out of 1 that should keep you safe.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
If your into urban, ucsb is a pretty good campus for it. Other than that, I suggesting what everyone else has: Tunnle, Cold springs, Jesusita, Ellwood and a rubber. However I don't suggest going to Velo Pro, but that's simply because I worked at Bicycle Bob's for 6 years. Have fun, SB is an awsome place.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
GO HOME STUS......j/k..i dont think dan and adrian lifted a shovel load of dirt for the "slalom course" u guys are talking about but there is some $hitty course in elings park....keep the moto, buy a dh bike and build up ellwood so iv got something to jump when i get home from school....

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
I am also moving down to SB from Mammoth. I am starting at Brooks institute on oct 24th. Im looking to get a apartment/studio around the downtown area since thats where all the campuses are. Ill have my giant dh team so i will be up for some shuttle runs and some photo sessions if anyone is interested. Ill propbly also have my good ol' schwinn 4 banger for some trail riding/freeride stuff. Any bikers here ever gone to brooks?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
There is some fun urban riding at ucsb. You will probably want a downhill bike for trails like tunnel and cold springs. But, I do tunnel on my one bike, a hardtail (so it COULD be done on anything, but the bumping, bouncing, and and hard vibrations will -just beat you up-, but I'm okay with it).

As far as some races:

around June 10
-Elings dh at elings park (I didn't go but I heard hardtails can go as fast a fullys and heard there wasn't even anything remotely big.
April -Firestone dh in Los Olivos(30 min over the mtn.) -a fun 1.5mi race with some bigger stuff w/ longer detours for people that are don't have any loose screws in their heads.

Oct. 1,2

-Parkfiled dh,xc,st,ds,pixie (30min above Paso Robles; 2.5 hours north of Santa Barbara

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Adam Novatt said:
yeah man go to velo pro and ellings tords the back is a slalom trail made buy the cortina brothers and if you want you can rent Dh bikes from Velopro in Goleta For know until you buy a DH rig the best trail is cold springs an tunnel with san yesidro thier are deffinitly a few good jumps up in ellwood and if you ask velo pro guys for direction do to DH run in ellings go for it becasue their is goignto be a race thier this year and it is never to early to pratice and shure man bag it and make sure the number one thing you neeed t odo is buy a **** bike because your bike will be gone so fast you wont know what hits you
Where are the punctuation police when you need them?

GregBik3r

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Bay Area, CA
So I ended up buying a V10 with Dorados, and I brought that. I don't have the slalom bike down here it turns out....at least not for now.

I'd love to score some directions to some spots, I've been talking to a couple guys from here on RM that live in SB so that's been cool.

So directions to any place ya got via PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the tips.

Greg