Quantcast

So I'm just riding along when...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i feel the seat shift underneath me. i stop thinking that the clamp has come loose so i grab it with both hands to give it a torque and there is no perceptible looseness. i look further down the bike and what do i see...

going to the shop this afternoon to see whats up with a warranty.

i really was JRA and have actual eye witnesses. i won't say the bike isnt ridden hard, its just that for once i can truthfully say JRA.

Attachments

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have come to the conclusion that JRA's are a myth. There is fatigue, and THEN eventual failure. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were. I remember one warranty return that I dealt with, friend comes in and says " I jus't broke my bike!"
I reply, "Uhh, didn't you tell me you did three porcupine rim shuttles in one day a few weeks ago?"
(this was on an ultralight hardtail).
2+2=......(he got a warranty, but there is a point here)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rideit said:
I have come to the conclusion that JRA's are a myth. There is fatigue, and THEN eventual failure. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were. I remember one warranty return that I dealt with, friend comes in and says " I jus't broke my bike!"
I reply, "Uhh, didn't you tell me you did three porcupine rim shuttles in one day a few weeks ago?"
(this was on an ultralight hardtail).
2+2=......(he got a warranty, but there is a point here)
I don't know about that. One of my customers broke a Litespeed road frame at the dropout weld. You could start questioning what he did to break it (although the general conclusion was the weld was not full penentrated), but you have to accept a frame breakage was unacceptable no matter what he did.

I suppose there must have been a reason (I did a X foot drop last week), but bikes don't break unless they get ridden...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Kinda my point...
The fatigue and failure cycles can occur within nano-seconds, or over the course of a lot of time. But both of the cycles do occur. When you have a classic JRA, it usually is just a matter of timing.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i wont even for a minute deny that ive ridden it hard and it has performed fantastically despite what the trek haters have to say. its an almost 5 yr old front triangle that has been WELL ridden.

its just that for once i can really say JRA.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Changleen said:
It a Trek. What did you expect?
Common hommie, lets not all bash the big bike company at once.
:rolleyes:

I had my sugar ('00) crack in the same spot, I caught it before it competely seperated. I was working in a shop at the time, called them up and told them the situation. The inside rep told me the majority of the failures ('00-'01 sugars/ '01 fuels) broke there. Credited me for the frame and a replacement was at my feet in less then a week.

I can't speak for sure, but if your the original owner, you should be okay.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
yes i am. bought it in 01 and subsequently have had the first run production pains but its been warrantied before. had issues the first year and havent had any problems with it since. it was failing at the top tube/seat tube weld joint before.

ive definitely come to the conclusion that the replacement frame/bike will be 5" all mtn'ish type bike.

this was my first forray into xc full squish and despite the problems associated with the first run bikes, which trek has always fixed, it works like a champ on the all the xc riding ive ever done with it.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I've seen a few of those recently. Seems to be the weak spot on those fuels and some of the sugars. Trek has been good to everyone of our customers who has brought one in, no questions asked warranty coverage.

No bad for that old of a bike.

The Ito

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Trek is pretty darn good at their replacement policy... I have worked in a shop that has carried Trek for eons because of how well they stand behind the product (one of the best that I personally have dealt with)... in my experience you shouldn't have any problem with getting a new front for it. the thing that sucks is you will be without it for a bit!

good luck and keep us posted.
ps. as was said before, that thing was fatigued and cracked long before you saw or fealt anything...

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
yeah they have been good to me.

well now i have a 77 so i think i don't have to worry this any more.

thanks brunge :thumb:
the shop saw it this afternoon and said it was a no brainer for warranty so its just a matter of getting it straight with trek.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How many times have you crashed on that bike before this happened??? And Whats the biggest drop youve been off???
Just curious... Trek will warranty that though seen them warranty a Road frame that was broken from closing a trunk on it. i am sure when it broke completly you were Just riding alond. But that happened before you were just riding along. remember the Fuel is a Lightweight XC bike with a rear suspension that designed to "Take the edge off" thats about it. Trek is a great company though and they make really good bikes. How long have you had your Session now??? thinking about getting the 77 for myself as my next frame. Anything standing out you dont like???

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
DirtyMike said:
How many times have you crashed on that bike before this happened??? And Whats the biggest drop youve been off???
Just curious... Trek will warranty that though seen them warranty a Road frame that was broken from closing a trunk on it. i am sure when it broke completly you were Just riding alond. But that happened before you were just riding along. remember the Fuel is a Lightweight XC bike with a rear suspension that designed to "Take the edge off" thats about it. Trek is a great company though and they make really good bikes. How long have you had your Session now??? thinking about getting the 77 for myself as my next frame. Anything standing out you dont like???
if i answer truthfully to that first part do i have immunity for my testimony?

actually i haven't had any gnaryly crashes nor have i done any monster drops, but it has been ridden very hard.

ive only had the 77 for a week now and its only been ridden lightly once at the local dj spot, but as soon as ive had some trail time ill be sure to let you know.

im going to rays indoor mtn bike park this coming weekend so that should be a good test of it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Too bad about the bike, it sounds like it will be no problem with the replacement.

As far as the comment someone made about Duct tape....We once used a patch kit and 'EB green' on a leaking main seawater pipe when we were in a situation where we couldn't afford to make any noise repairing, and couldn't return to port right away.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
ridetoofast said:
ugh becareful what you wish for.

this broke while i was riding it and i was damn near impaled by the top tube on my inner thigh. the boys were missed by inches...
How come Klein didn't replace that frame???

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i wasnt the original owner and the top tube had a cable stop welded onto it so i could run v brakes vs cantis. the internanly routed cable had just an opening in the frame, i needed a stop to run the noodle up against it. the frame broke in 04 and it was a 93 frame so i can't bitch!

J

JRB

I kind of thought about a Remedy, instead of a Reign, but was skeptical since it is new and I couldn't test ride one.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
MisterClean said:
Ditto. Disposable bikes for a society based on disposable goods.
how long should a light weight aluminum frame last?

loco said:
I kind of thought about a Remedy, instead of a Reign, but was skeptical since it is new and I couldn't test ride one.
if the remedy is anything like the session, smaller obviously, but attention to detail i bet its going to be a sweet ride. ive thought about one as a replacement for the fuel so i'd have a 5" all mtn sort bike.

a buddy of mine has a reign and he loves it and couldn't have been happier with the component spec. the only thing id be curiuos about would be the linkage...that is will it be durable?

honetly i dont think you couldt go wrong with either one.