Quantcast

So I'm lookin to buy a fixie

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
I used the search but found not too many useful things.

Im lookin to get a road fixie and I just wanted to know what companies made some good one for cheap. I know specialized has the langster but thats about all for me.

I was also considering used. But I would be buying from the internet and I really dont know the size I need.

so, thanks :help:

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
deam, the jamie roy looks schweet

too bad the closest shop round is like 2 hours away

and i gotta test ride it first, just to see if i like it. ill check my local specialized dealer to see if they have any langsters i could try out

any recomendations on what size tog et for a 6 foot man, or is it dependant on arm length and shizzle?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Don't forget the Steamroller, neither.

Alternately, a nice old road frame (80s-vintage w/ horizontal dropout) will get you going in fine bike messenger style. Where are you located? Maybe we could suggest a fixie-friendly shop in your area.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
What size you looking for? I have a 53 cm Steamroller with Ritchie logic headset and Shimano un-53 bottom bracket laying around. I also have a set of wheels if interested.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
um i guess my frame size center to top is 57 centimeters

or 56 center to center

im really not lookin to go over like 600 so the bianchi is out lol

the iro's are lookin nice

any pics fo the steamrollers?

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Rush hour is more a track bike, yes/no? From what I've heard, track bikes don't make the best street fixies due to geometry and no front brake. I know I'd never run one on the street w/o a front brake. Style points dont' count in the ER.

To the original poster, enjoy. It's a totally different experience. I havent' had a geared bike for over a year, and my roadie has been fixed for longer than that.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
The Rush Hour was (I think) designed for street/road use. It comes with a flip flop rear hub and brake mounts. Seeing as how you are in NorCal, I'll bet you have a few used bike shops at least in the Bay Area. I found a used Shimano STX Canti brake for around $3.00 here in Seattle and slapped that baby on my Surly fork.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Nate at RIT said:
Rush hour is more a track bike, yes/no? From what I've heard, track bikes don't make the best street fixies due to geometry and no front brake. I know I'd never run one on the street w/o a front brake. Style points dont' count in the ER.

To the original poster, enjoy. It's a totally different experience. I havent' had a geared bike for over a year, and my roadie has been fixed for longer than that.
It's a street rod and comes with brakes.

TBagT916

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Sacramento
I am new to the fixie myself, but I road the Giant and the Kona fixies. Both were great, but the Giant would need a new fork due to the Aluminum. The kona has a steel frame and fork. maybe check them. I like mine, paddy wagon. Good starter.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
This thread is the wayback machine.

I've been rocking a Kona Paddy Wagon for a while now. Very nice, and it comes complete .. so no trying to accumulate the right parts.

That said, fixie-fying is still a great reuse for old road frames, if you've got a little help the first time around.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have a singlespeed road bike I converted from an old 10 speed. However, if money is no object, the ultimate fixie IMO is the limited edition Fuji Obey with the gold on black kit. They sex me up.

Saw one on ebay going for around 400 a while back.