Quantcast

So I'm riding at N* and look what happens..........

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
I got a F'n nail in my tire. I have no clue where I picked up this baby. I was at the to of the lift, ready to trek over to Boondocks when chicodude01 says.........You have a nail in your tire. I turn around and wadda you know a nail, a really big one. I put my bike back on the lift to start my journey back down to the truck, one of the lift guys say's go to the bike shop and show them what happened, so I did. They gave me a free WTB tire. It's not UST but was nice of them to take care of me. Went back to the truck and installed a new Michelin Comp 24 that I brought for such an emergency and was back on my way. The funny thing when I was at the bottom of the Vista chair there was a guy with a nail in his tire too. I think the Hippies have come to sabotage the mountain :mumble:
 

Attachments

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
dhtahoe said:
You are aware ther is ALOT of construction going on right???
Unless its changed from this morning there was NO construction happening on top of the mountain. It happened after my 5th or 6th run. I was no where near the construction area. Plus the nail was very old and rusty.
 

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
1,363
0
Flying Low Living Fast
Brian HCM#1 said:
Unless its changed from this morning there was NO construction happening on top of the mountain. It happened after my 5th or 6th run. I was no where near the construction area. Plus the nail was very old and rusty.
Construction up there too!!! Everyday 7 days a week. All the work trucks drive up buzzsaw, right past top of vista all the way out to boondocks on the same road we ride on.
 

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
1,363
0
Flying Low Living Fast
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well bottom line is it sucks and killed a still good Comp 24.
One nail... Hell I would still ride it. And when are you going to learn that tubeless a N* is stupid. What would I know I have only ridden there 8 seasons now.
 

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
10,460
8
wine country
I might be up there in a few weeks. Is it true that its only open weekends? I hop come I don't come accross any sabotaging hippies or old rusted nails.
 
Sep 29, 2004
281
0
i hear the hippies live in the bushes, waiting for the unsuspecting downhiller to crash into it where they will make him granola and biodegradable clothing...
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
dhtahoe said:
One nail... Hell I would still ride it. And when are you going to learn that tubeless a N* is stupid. What would I know I have only ridden there 8 seasons now.
Damn Mike, where were you yesterday for that tidbit of information? Actually its only the second flat I've had with UST, the first one was from a flat spot opening day last year. So I can't be disapointed in UST tires. I tried to bum a tube off a few but no one had a presta valve. Getting a NAIL in a tire while on top of the mountain IS a little bizzar.
 

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
3,002
71
Boise, Idaho
had that happen on a race run at keystone a few years ago. first thought was ohh **** i blew my dorado on th is step up into a berm then i looked down
 

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
2,129
0
SL, UT
what would you know? you're one of those second home owners who's never around and bums sleep in your house while you are gone. :)
 

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
168
0
So. CAL.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well bottom line is it sucks and killed a still good Comp 24.

Well then......just put a tube in it. Geesh, why wase a perfectly good tire. :p :p

Sucks though. Could have been worse. I was at my LBS on Friday and a customer came in, bought a new $55 road tire and made it 8 miles before he tore the sidewall on it. Damn expensive 8 miles if you ask me.

mtnbikej
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
mtnbikej said:
Well then......just put a tube in it. Geesh, why wase a perfectly good tire. :p :p

Sucks though. Could have been worse. I was at my LBS on Friday and a customer came in, bought a new $55 road tire and made it 8 miles before he tore the sidewall on it. Damn expensive 8 miles if you ask me.

mtnbikej
I'm really digging on UST, if there was a tube available on the top of the mountain I would have went that route, but one wasn't so I didn't. Plus the nail pierced the side wall.
 

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
168
0
So. CAL.
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'm really digging on UST, if there was a tube available on the top of the mountain I would have went that route, but one wasn't so I didn't. Plus the nail pierced the side wall.

I understand. My wife did the same thing during a XC ride last weekend. Through the sidewall then up through the tread. Fortunatley her tire was on its last leg anyway.

mtnbikej
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
mtnbikej said:
I understand. My wife did the same thing during a XC ride last weekend. Through the sidewall then up through the tread. Fortunatley her tire was on its last leg anyway.

mtnbikej
I still could have gotten about 5-7 more N* rides on it.
 

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
62
0
Nor- Cal
hey did you know that if you cut that intermediate nob off the tire will rip courners way better? I don't know it that'll help with the nials but I do know the DhTahoe is all knowing man of N* mountain!
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
HearNOevil said:
hey did you know that if you cut that intermediate nob off the tire will rip courners way better? I don't know it that'll help with the nials but I do know the DhTahoe is all knowing man of N* mountain!
Cutting nobs off is too much work.
 

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
716
2
Blah Blah and Blah
Brian HCM#1 said:
I din't see any, they used to supply patched ones from the bike shop.
Did you ask?

They do have tubes up there at the lift...just this past weekend this guy had a flat and asked for a tube. They didn't have any left BUT they radioed someone at the bottom and they brought some more up…
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Did you ask?

They do have tubes up there at the lift...just this past weekend this guy had a flat and asked for a tube. They didn't have any left BUT they radioed someone at the bottom and they brought some more up…
The guys at the lift told me to go to the shop and get a new tire from them.
 

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
249
0
Mtn. View, Ca.
Brian HCM#1 said:
I got a F'n nail in my tire. I have no clue where I picked up this baby. I was at the to of the lift, ready to trek over to Boondocks when chicodude01 says.........You have a nail in your tire. I turn around and wadda you know a nail, a really big one. I put my bike back on the lift to start my journey back down to the truck, one of the lift guys say's go to the bike shop and show them what happened, so I did. They gave me a free WTB tire. It's not UST but was nice of them to take care of me. Went back to the truck and installed a new Michelin Comp 24 that I brought for such an emergency and was back on my way. The funny thing when I was at the bottom of the Vista chair there was a guy with a nail in his tire too. I think the Hippies have come to sabotage the mountain :mumble:
You probably picked it up at the bottom of Vista. Over opening weekdend, my friend picked one up right there. Just last weekend, I saw some guy holding one just like up showing his friend, with a pissed off look on his face.
 
Aug 11, 2004
33
0
Ca and Co
Hey i know exactly how you feel. That exact same thing happened to me, same tire and everything, last season in the daytona berms at the bottom. I approached northstar about it and they told me it was my fault! My nail went in through the tread and out the sidewall and scratched up my frame. I showed them and they wouldnt even give me duct tape and a patch to fix it up for the day! They just kept on passing me off from one manager to another before the last one finally told me to fill out a cusomer evaluation card. After that weekend I wrote them a formal letter and everything and never heard anything back. Havent been too happy with them since
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,707
121
Bay Area, California
sbabuser said:
Can't you just patch the inside of the tire? I've done it before with non-ust's run tubeless, holds up good.
The tire had about 1/3 left of good tread. I've never had good luck patching the inside of a tire to work with UST.