Quantcast

So in about a span of a weekend....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Layers son! :D

And when it gets unbearable, ride the trainer. Unless you're splat, in which case there is no such thing as "unbearable" :p

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Oh, I understand, I woke up this morning, took a shower, walked into my room, got dressed, walked outside, and freaked out, because it was the coldest it has ever been here at school since I arived. I'm in CT fyi. We also have a football game today, so hopfully it might will warm up a little bit, or I will have to buy some underarmor, that crap is like 25-30 bucks!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Come on, this is the BEST time of year to ride! It's nice and cool, there are no bugs, and the scenery is full of autumn colors. :cool: 55 degree weather feels great when you're riding. MBC and I are heading to chilly Vermont this weekend to ride and it should be a beautiful New England weekend.

Like Echo said, dress in layers and carry a CamelBak large enough to store clothes when you need to strip layers.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Easy. I moved to the Southeast.

My younger brother still rides year round to work in Boulder.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Echo said:
Layers son! :D

And when it gets unbearable, ride the trainer. Unless you're splat, in which case there is no such thing as "unbearable" :p
there isn't, thats why theres tueday night rides, EVERYWEEK in the winter.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Yeah, it's finally going to cool off here this afternoon/evening. I can't wait, this is the best time of year, actually the colder, the better riding weather it is. Although I say that, methinks your climate probably gets a little more frigid than mine

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i can't wait for it to get cool down here. its been in the mid to upper 80's all week. last week it was in the 90's. i like running and riding better in the winter. we don't have vicious winters though. i just pile on the layers and go.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I plan on riding more in the winter this year. Really the only thing that stops me is when the ground goes through nightly freeze thaw cycles and creates a soupy mess. Solution: ride at night when it is frozen.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Getting off the chairlift at Jiminy the other day you would have thought we were in the Himalayas. Really windy up top, and there was cloud cover blowing off the top of the mountain. I seriously thought it was 40 something up there, and I froze my ass of in a t shirt and shorts. Not to mention the thing that happens with your feet. I don't like the really cold weather, I don't like pants, and I don't like the fact that its getting colder and darker each and every day! HUMPH!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Polandspring88 said:
Getting off the chairlift at Jiminy the other day you would have thought we were in the Himalayas. Really windy up top, and there was cloud cover blowing off the top of the mountain. I seriously thought it was 40 something up there, and I froze my ass of in a t shirt and shorts. Not to mention the thing that happens with your feet. I don't like the really cold weather, I don't like pants, and I don't like the fact that its getting colder and darker each and every day! HUMPH!

last sunday, while waiting for the start of the xc race at the top of Plattekill....it was windy, super foggy, and I was wet (it rained)....and around 45 degress.........freakin Brrrr

I dont plan to ride outside in the winter, I am too wimpy.....unless I go to Cali/AZ like I did last year

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
robdamanii said:
IT GOT FVCKING COLD UP HERE! :mumble:

Fall is coming, indeed, and it's starting to be frigid up here. How do you folks deal with riding in the cold?
COLD!!!!!!? You think this is cold? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Cold :rolleyes: Suck it up son, this is nothing.

The Cheese

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
Humm... we had temps in the low 100's earlier this week...
It will be 90 here in the Los Angeles area today, but it is really, really WINDY! There was already a brushfire a few miles from my house this morning.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
splat said:
Yoou mean you are suppose to stop ? :confused: At what temperature is the Cut off ? :confused:
:stupid:

We rode in some cold-a$$ weather last winter. Below zero. It's all about layers, and not over-dressing. Other than the first 5 minutes when everyone's going to be a little cold, it's pretty easy to stay warm when riding. Riding in cold weather sure beats sitting at home bitching about it being cold, wiishing you were out riding. :mumble:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
From now until January is my favorite time of the year to ride.. the weather is perfect .... I actually enjoy riding in the snow as well... as long as i am prepared for it

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Honestly, when it gets cold I start riding less and less. I just don't find it that fun when it gets to a certain point. By Dec, I am only riding infrequently and I mostly lift weights, go to the gym and use a stationary trainer. Winter also means broomball (playing) and hockey (watching), which gets me through. By the way, where are you in the country, rob? All you guys further south than MA in the northeast don't get the kind of crap we have up here and further north. I moved from northern Jersey to VT for school and it's a whole new world of cold.

JRogers said:
Honestly, when it gets cold I start riding less and less. I just don't find it that fun when it gets to a certain point. By Dec, I am only riding infrequently and I mostly lift weights, go to the gym and use a stationary trainer. Winter also means broomball (playing) and hockey (watching), which gets me through. By the way, where are you in the country, rob? All you guys further south than MA in the northeast don't get the kind of crap we have up here and further north. I moved from northern Jersey to VT for school and it's a whole new world of cold.
:think: If you haven't ridden Snake Mountain on glare ice, you have never ridden at all...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
robdamanii said:
I'm in upstate NY.

Where abouts in NJ were you from?
I lived in Edison for a few years, moved to MO then back to NJ. Lived in Mountain Lakes for a long time. It's in Morris County, 15 mi north of Morristown, 40 min west of the city.

JBP: Snake Mtn on ice? No thanks.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
bluebug32 said:
Rob, just wait till you get the snow that blows sideways. Now THAT'S winter in the Finger Lakes.

And the crazy thing is that it starts in late Nov. and finally stops in late April.

When I was stationed in Watertown NY i think the phrase was

9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

The lake effect snow and constant wind was soooo horrible man I love california still using A/C

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Stop crying. I went to college in Buffalo, and I raced in Connecticut as well.

My trick, neoprene socks under booties. No exposed extremities then. And no crying...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
bluebug32 said:
Hmmm....no offense, but I think I'd rather be cold than have to live in NJ.
Have you ever spent a good amount of time in NJ? Seen the riding, the people and the "good parts"? Seriously, on the whole, it's a nice place. Most of the people who say stuff like this usually respond with something to the effect of "well, I drove through it once" or "I've been to Newark Airport."

Jersey gets hated on by almost every state in the union. That's why
I am the president of my college's Lovers of the Garden State club. And, no, I'm not kidding.