Quantcast

So is anyone freaking out about hurricane Irene?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I have no power ,
Sounds and looks familiar Splat. No power since 10AM yesterday in Easton. Most of the town is without right now. Many poles and primaries on the ground. It will be at least 3-5 days before we're back on line.

VT got the worst of Irene as far as I can tell. Check out Killington's base lodge :eek:
I used to work Mountain Operations back in the early 90s at Killington, and Rte 7 always had spring thaw flooding issues, this flooding takes it to another level. crazy.

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/blog/2011/08/irene_causes_ki.html

edit: Anyone heard from JBP?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Clearing out fallen branches. The one I'm holding up was probably twice as long before I sawed off its children branches. Of course I'm only 19" tall… [/mmike] :rofl:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
As promised, here's a few pics of the damage to my folks house.

They live just outside Oriental, NC. The west winds forced water in from the Pamlico Sound into the Neuse River in front of their house...which in turn forced water into Dawson's Creek, which is behind their house--two tremendous-sized bodies of water.

The storm surge created a wave about 11 feet tall, which washed over the protective rocks and crashed into the front of their house....completely blowing up the knee-wall that supported the screen porch and roof. It flooded the house with about 4ft of water, mud and sand which smelled like a cross between low-tide and a public bathroom that wasn't very well-kept.

For your enjoyment:

These boulders are heavy...very heavy. Tossed around like bowling balls.

Front Porch

Wait...aren't we missing something?

Nevermind...we found the wall. It's on the floor.

Foundation torn out of the ground.

Some furniture re-arrangement

That's right...the fridge got tackled.

OK...now we're pissed. Fvck up our wall...fine, but mess with the TV?

Water line above the fireplace...

Water, mud and glass...

Where do we start...?

What washes the washing machine?

That's the Air-Conditioner...it doesn't go there.

Neighbors...just as bad.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Grayhound: So are we not allowed to take IH8Rice to Oriental, NC? Like some sort of reverse capita or something?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
We just have heat and fire to deal with here. Sadly... there is more fire, and more chance of it, than I like for anyone to have to deal with. It simply won't rain here.

I hope everyone from around here is ok. I was watching the news and saw Vermont. Wow...it's unbelievable how much of the northeast got flooded.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
any word on 6mile yet? underwater?
it was flooded yesterday but not where the south middlebush road crossing is covered in water. the blow downs are bad. it looks like there is lots of chainsaw work to be done. so it'll be dry soon, but probably still blocked from trees for a while.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Lost power 4:20 on the 28th when this tree:

Went down on the lines, resulting in this:

Had no power until 9:30 pm Friday the 2nd. If it wasn't for the power lines, said tree would have crashed through the house, only damage to the structure itself is a small dent in the gutter.

Otherwise, my road route has been compromised for a month or so, no big deal there.

The biggest loss was my eldest aunt from kidney failure who went with the hurricane.

Last edited: