Quantcast

So it begins...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Thought there was a tariff thread somewhere else, but regardless, I'm not clear how this would affect a lot of manufacturers since many of them build their bikes in Taiwan, Vietnam, etc...I realize there are of course some "high-end" bikes that are made in China (namely crab0n?), but it seems like most of them are made elsewhere now - could be wrong on that tho, in which case, this would certainly have an impact. It would also seem to impact even American manufacturers if they are using steel and alum imported from China, although reading the statement from Saris, they are not among them. I just wonder how it would affect several of the component companies, as I believe there is a fair bit that comes from China. On the plus side, there was a big tariff on e-bikes, which means I guess people will have to work through Gary to get their 45 lb (yet playful and poppy) e-tank.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Don’t thing I’ve ever ridden a made in PRC bike part.

I think ALL the worlds Ti comes from there now, and of course other raw materials that may go into Taiwanese, US, Brit, Jap steel and aluminum parts.

I’m assuming the majority of MTB clothing is made in PRC. Their quality is getting better every day,

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Loggeman, PeopleForBikes director of state and local policy.

"The Administration's findings under its Section 301 investigation are not aligned with what the bicycle industry has experienced. Our industry has not been impacted by the underlying theft of intellectual property or advanced technology in China that is the basis for this action. We have aggressively fought against these tariff increases and worked tirelessly to educate decision makers on our industry... " he said.

Anyone remember the guy who bought a Specialized (or some other brand) online from China and when it cracked ant failed he tried to sue them? The company found out that it wasn't their frame when they saw the carbon and serial number and when asked for the receipt, they fou d out it wasn't bought through a retailer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wonder how much cost will go up in other countries too. I'm guessing most bikes in Canada arrive through American ports. But even if they arrived here in Vancouver, I'd bet that we'll still see same cost adjustments.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thought there was a tariff thread somewhere else, but regardless, I'm not clear how this would affect a lot of manufacturers since many of them build their bikes in Taiwan, Vietnam, etc...I realize there are of course some "high-end" bikes that are made in China (namely crab0n?), but it seems like most of them are made elsewhere now - could be wrong on that tho, in which case, this would certainly have an impact. It would also seem to impact even American manufacturers if they are using steel and alum imported from China, although reading the statement from Saris, they are not among them. I just wonder how it would affect several of the component companies, as I believe there is a fair bit that comes from China. On the plus side, there was a big tariff on e-bikes, which means I guess people will have to work through Gary to get their 45 lb (yet playful and poppy) e-tank.
To this point, I wonder how many parts are manufactured partly in PRC and then shipped elsewhere for further processing and or assembly? and I don't know how the tariffs apply in that case.

I'd understood that in this day and age, things are not manufactured entirely in one place anymore.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My son's new bike was nailed with this tariff! Instead of $350 we paid $410

20180919_205835.jpg

Edit--it was $3.50 and we paid $4.10

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Is Taiwan affected by this? It sounds like Taiwan thinks it’s independent but the PRC doesn’t. Or something. It’s confusing.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I look forward to the spectacular gymnastics as people try to square their "Tuck Frump!" impulse with the inescapable fact that the reason shit is cheap in China is due to non-existent environmental and labor laws.

Or you could just buy a GG and some decent, non-PRC components.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
No one on ridemonkey is riding any MTB components made in the PRC.

I give your troll attempt a 3/10.

I look forward to the spectacular gymnastics as people try to square their "Tuck Frump!" impulse with the inescapable fact that the reason shit is cheap in China is due to non-existent environmental and labor laws.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Don’t thing I’ve ever ridden a made in PRC bike part.

I think ALL the worlds Ti comes from there now, and of course other raw materials that may go into Taiwanese, US, Brit, Jap steel and aluminum parts.

I’m assuming the majority of MTB clothing is made in PRC. Their quality is getting better every day,
Our Ti tubing (and scandium tubing) comes from Taiwan but I have no idea where he gets his raw materials.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

I had no idea this was about improving labor conditions and environmental protections in China and it's highly unlikely this will even be a side effect of the tariffs. The propensity of people wanting to buy cheap shit and not worry about the conditions under which a product was produced is hardly a partisan issue.

By all means, buy more GG and bring some bike manufacturing back to the States, but just a quick glance at his domestic policies should make it clear that Trump is hardly an advocate for protecting either worker's rights or the environment.