Quantcast

So it's that time again.... what new race bike?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I race. A lot. Mainly in the UK, though I hope to do some more foreign ones next year.

I want a new bike. Currently on a Devinci Wilson. I think I like it (I've not much to compare it to), apart from the amount of flex in the rear. Would like something a bit more solid.

Courses in the UK tend to be a bit mild compared to US ones. We're a bit short of massive mountains ya see :( There's a full range from silly tech/steep to pedally & mild to high-speed rock-fests like Fort William though. And as I said hopefully I'll get out to some Maxxis Cups etc next year.

There's so many decent bikes out there these days, it makes it very hard to make a choice!

On a related subject, what actually IS the difference between a 951 and an M9, in terms of how they ride and their weight etc? I'm guessing about 0.5" travel and about 0.5lb. I.e. "not much". 951's been around a while now, will it be replaced soon?

Hmm, sorrry, just kinda thinking aloud, not given you much to go on have I.

I'm 6'2", 175lb/80kg and have always ridden mediums, though I suspect I should switch to a large since everyone keeps on telling me I should! :)

Oh, and I do quite like to ride things that are a bit unusual, that you don't see many of in the UK. But I often wonder if I end up on a less-good bike as a result... Devinci is a bit flexy, mmm-kay? :)

Oh I'm generally not a fan of single pivots, though I'm sure they've come on in leaps-and-bounds since my 222, but the low-maintenance of them DOES appeal... and yes I know my DHi was kinda a single-pivot, effectively, ish. :)

Seb

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oh and let's suppose for the purpose of this thread that cost isn't a concern. Obviously it is, but I'd rather it not cloud the issue of what we think are the decent race bikes!

And I don't like V10s. Even if they are great, just don't like them. And the new Turner is the ugliest thing I've seen, and I'm expecting them to all fall apart.

Apart from that, go nuts! :)

Last edited:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
How about the new Devinci Wilson? Looks like a solid design. Corsair's new bike looks nice as well. Both essentially single pivots but with enough of a twist in their design to make them unique.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Actually part of my decision making in picking the devinci was that it seemed to have a fairly tight rear end, so not too cramped in the "cockpit" but without a long wheelbase. I think, anyway. Some bikes do have horribly tight cockpits that I notice when I ride them, such as the old-style Norcos.

Also bikes which seem to have the seat tube wayyyyy forwards with a shallow angle (so heavily raked back) bug me.

Not a fan of the new Devinci on looks, though agree that it looks a lot burlier than the current one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh and let's suppose for the purpose of this thread that cost isn't a concern. Obviously it is, but I'd rather it not cloud the issue of what we think are the decent race bikes!

And I don't like V10s. Even if they are great, just don't like them. And the new Turner is the ugliest thing I've seen, and I'm expecting them to all fall apart.

Apart from that, go nuts! :)
Heh, as far as I know the new Turners ARE falling apart. I've heard of a recall, and no replacement bikes for about 90 days...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
You need a large no question.

That's where you got to start. Some larges are gigantic. Some are 3/4 to 1 inch bigger than a medium.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I love my Makulu. I got in July and have put quite a few days on it so far. Pedals amazing, tracks really well, very controlled yet still playful, good geo, stiff and light. A main reason why I chose it is that all the pivots/bearings are large and easy to access, I wanted to try low leverage (which works great for me as I'm heavy), and overall it seems like the most durable choice I have for a frame. I'm riding it with the Makulu tuned CCDB. I could go on endlessly, but just know that I've been loving it all summer riding just about everything BC and Washington have to offer.

951's are getting blown out for $1850, so I would hope they don't plan on continuing that bike for very much longer. Never ridden a M9, I've owned a 951, and I've ridden a M6. The M6 is much more linear and much more controlled in its travel. The 951 gets bogged down pretty tough in the rear when you're riding rougher tracks, but does jump reasonably well, and you'll never bottom it out...because I don't think it does bottom out. Good bike for smooth, fast trails. Not that good for tech, steep, rocky harsh trails.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Intense, yikes....

If you're looking for something unique to try and want to be a guinea pig, two that I've always been interested in possessing (although I'll stick with the tried and trued Specialized, thank you very much :) ) are the Ancillotti and Last Herb.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Considering you have a Devinci now dont you have some kind of a relationship with freeborn? Why dont get a legend. That bike was really maitanance free this year for me. The rear end is stiff and the frame overall is perfect if instead of gimmicks you want a bike that allows you to concentrate on the ride instead of marketing bs. Im never worrying about the bike when I ride it. First time in my life. Just get sure not to get it with a ccdb. I also managed to build mine pretty light. I went as low as 16.5kg with 2.5 tires, 823 rims and some weight still to be lost.

If not I dont really understand why the m9 is tempting. Get an m6. I dont see any big improvements m6 to m9. hucknroll had some not long ago. Im pretty sure you can find some in good shape or new.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Considering you have a Devinci now dont you have some kind of a relationship with freeborn? Why dont get a legend. That bike was really maitanance free this year for me. The rear end is stiff and the frame overall is perfect if instead of gimmicks you want a bike that allows you to concentrate on the ride instead of marketing bs. Im never worrying about the bike when I ride it. First time in my life. Just get sure not to get it with a ccdb. I also managed to build mine pretty light. I went as low as 16.5kg with 2.5 tires, 823 rims and some weight still to be lost.

If not I dont really understand why the m9 is tempting. Get an m6. I dont see any big improvements m6 to m9. hucknroll had some not long ago. Im pretty sure you can find some in good shape or new.
Do you really worry that much about marketing bs when you ride? Or when you dont ride?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile

Did you try your legend with a CCDB? what was wrong about it? Im looking to upgrade to a Avalanche or CCDB...

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
951's are getting blown out for $1850, so I would hope they don't plan on continuing that bike for very much longer. .
Not being discontinued...new hydroformed downtube vs. the old monocoque and no more G3 dropout system. Just a revision at a lower pricepoint.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Intense, yikes....

If you're looking for something unique to try and want to be a guinea pig, two that I've always been interested in possessing (although I'll stick with the tried and trued Specialized, thank you very much :) ) are the Ancillotti and Last Herb.
Ancillottis are relatively common over here, have been for years. Only know of one guy that rides a Last, but they don't appeal to me.

I know the Intenses are a mainstream choice, but as alluded to in my original post I'm not as against mainstream as I used to be, if it means getting the "right" bike :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

If not I dont really understand why the m9 is tempting. Get an m6. I dont see any big improvements m6 to m9. had some not long ago. Im pretty sure you can find some in good shape or new.
I don't, I paid full retail for it. For some reason I was dead set on it at the time, and it was something my sponsor couldn't get for me as Freeborn are a competitor of theirs. It was a relatively cheap frame though, so I ended up spending about as much as I would have if I'd got a trade price on many other things.

I really SHOULD have worked on getting a deal from them though, as in my opinion I gave them great exposure with that bike. I see quite a few at the races now when there were no others around when I bought mine. The build thread I did on here and other forums at the time certainly got lots of attention too.

I quite like the Mythic I guess. I don't see it and think "must have it" though. Why do you say to NOT get the ccdb?

M9 isn't tempting really - I much prefer the look of the 951. M9 is so similar to a V10 now, and I've never been a fan of them (though concede that I'd probably think it rode well if I tried one out...)

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I love my Makulu. I got in July and have put quite a few days on it so far. Pedals amazing, tracks really well, very controlled yet still playful, good geo, stiff and light. A main reason why I chose it is that all the pivots/bearings are large and easy to access, I wanted to try low leverage (which works great for me as I'm heavy), and overall it seems like the most durable choice I have for a frame. I'm riding it with the Makulu tuned CCDB. I could go on endlessly, but just know that I've been loving it all summer riding just about everything BC and Washington have to offer.

951's are getting blown out for $1850, so I would hope they don't plan on continuing that bike for very much longer. Never ridden a M9, I've owned a 951, and I've ridden a M6. The M6 is much more linear and much more controlled in its travel. The 951 gets bogged down pretty tough in the rear when you're riding rougher tracks, but does jump reasonably well, and you'll never bottom it out...because I don't think it does bottom out. Good bike for smooth, fast trails. Not that good for tech, steep, rocky harsh trails.
Couldn't agree more about the Makulu. Its a seriously fast bike, the grip is unreal and it carries speed like nothing else. Its seriously made me step up my game this year. I have it with a boss stoy and a revalved rc4. The boss is cetrainly better but if id never owned the boss id be quite happy with the rc4. I managed to build it to about 37.5lbs with boxxer teams and a steel rear spring most of the components are light but tough. I didn't really have to replace any bits this season. So it could be built a good bit lighter.

avoid a 951 like the plague i saw two broken ones when i was in whistler and my mates who work in shops in vancouver have seen a load of them come back broken.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hate to say I told you so but.. ;)
Well I did know it before I bought it, and it didn't really bother me. It doesn't really bother me now either - I still seem to do pretty well on it, and I'm not 100% convinced that flexy is "bad". Maybe it helps you by not getting bucked around in rough stuff - hard to say, I think.

More to the point it's 2 years old and I have the itch and want something new and shiny :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Do you really worry that much about marketing bs when you ride? Or when you dont ride?
No, I meant it in a way that many bikes rely on having 1 or 2 awesome characteristic but then under that you often end up with some annyoing features. It is just that I belive some bikes are built more for the hype than for the ride.

Did you try your legend with a CCDB? what was wrong about it? Im looking to upgrade to a Avalanche or CCDB...
I don't, I paid full retail for it. For some reason I was dead set on it at the time, and it was something my sponsor couldn't get for me as Freeborn are a competitor of theirs. It was a relatively cheap frame though, so I ended up spending about as much as I would have if I'd got a trade price on many other things.

I really SHOULD have worked on getting a deal from them though, as in my opinion I gave them great exposure with that bike. I see quite a few at the races now when there were no others around when I bought mine. The build thread I did on here and other forums at the time certainly got lots of attention too.

I quite like the Mythic I guess. I don't see it and think "must have it" though. Why do you say to NOT get the ccdb?

M9 isn't tempting really - I much prefer the look of the 951. M9 is so similar to a V10 now, and I've never been a fan of them (though concede that I'd probably think it rode well if I tried one out...)
CCDB is linear and the Legend was designed around progressive shocks and suffers the same problem as the sunday - the end of travel is a bit degressive. Not really a problem with most shocks on the market (ie. rc4, elka, bos) but somehow Ive been hearing ppl have a problem with it.

As for must have - it never was for me but after a must have bike flow I decided to go a bit rational and get something that would probably have no issues (though some ppl hate the maxle, that will be solved soon by banshee).

Also if cash doesnt matter and you know what you like maybe get a custom geo nicolai ion st? The new customizer on their site really amazed me with how you can tune the bike to what you want ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Spec a bike myself? And then only have myself to blame if it rode like a turd? No thanks :)

(FWIW I never said money's not an issue)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ah yes, Commencal, DEFINITELY a consideration! Had forgotten about that one. What's a Phoenix?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ah a Pivot. Yes, very nice... not sure if anyone imports them to the UK yet, I'll have a look-see.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Seb, Upgrade will be importing Pivots, i know for a fact they have one right now, and are expecting the bulk soon.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
CCDB is linear and the Legend was designed around progressive shocks and suffers the same problem as the sunday - the end of travel is a bit degressive. Not really a problem with most shocks on the market (ie. rc4, elka, bos) but somehow Ive been hearing ppl have a problem with it.
I've run both the RC4 and the CCDB on my Legend. I never had a "problem" with the CCDB, but it does produce quite a different ride. If you want a very composed suspension, dial up the low speed compression and run the high speed fast and the Legend w/ CCDB will just gobble up anything and maintain total composure. However, I found the bike to be less lively and poppy, and that wasn't my preference.

With the RC4 I can dial up a bit of bottom out and the bike is behaves more conventionally, lively and poppy but still excellent control. This is actually my preference, even though it's not uber-sensitive like the CCDB. You can back off the damping on the CCDB to make it more like a conventional shock, but then you don't have the bottom out control.

I would definitely recommend the Legend as a top notch and bombproof race bike. Choose your shock and setup depending on how you like the bike to feel.

And it looks like you can get it in RAWR next year...

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
avoid a 951 like the plague i saw two broken ones when i was in whistler and my mates who work in shops in vancouver have seen a load of them come back broken.
"A load of them" = How many exactly? A few have broken but the redesigned downtube has solved the issue. Gotta love RM sometimes...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
951 seems to break a lot less than m1/3/6/socoms, from what I've seen on the forums.

Mondraker and NP are both things I'm interested in for sure. The Mondraker less so now for some reason, I was really keen at the start of the season but my keenness seems to have fizzled out.

Also very interested to try a K9 out: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4882725/ (looks infinitely better in that colour than the poor photo of the red one they have on their website)