Quantcast

So its the 3rd, Rennies jump day..

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
"Nathan Rennie has overcleared the world record distance landing almost to flat. He has sustained a seperated shoulder and mass gravel rash !!!

He's built like brick sh*t houses so he'll be back at it in no time I bet.
"

that kills that thread then

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
NEW WORLD RECORD : 121 feet. Deemed unofficial by Guinness Book of Records because of the crash on landing, Nathan has flown his Santa Cruz V10 Mountain Bike 121 feet from take off ramp to landing three quarters of the way down the exit ramp, flat landing the front wheel and "blowing up". Nathan separated his shoulder and sustained massive gravel rash and bruising from the fine rocks on the desert site. His prized Troy Lee full face helmet saved his life but is smashed beyond future use. The bike is fine. An elated Nathan claims that the setup "was so good we could have gone much bigger and we may do so some time in the future." Whaaaaaahooooooo!!!!!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I was gonna hit it too but I was having trouble getting traction on the muddy off-camber roots before the 22ft drop to uphill corner just before the lip. Honest.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Dang, 121' to flat, and the worst thing that happened was a separated shoulder, he's REALLY lucky. I suppose it helps that Rennie runs a DOT approved helmet...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's not really 121' to flat. Your horizontal movement isn't that important to the landing, but he was surely coming down from a huge height to flat. Wonder what his max height was during the jump?

:dead:

Sounds like a death wish to me.

edit: too bad that after all the risk and hurting himself, he didn't claim the record.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Damn, thats crazy! Sucks he didnt ride it out, but its good he's alive!

Anyone else think its funny that when Rennie does a 121' gap, people on here are all about it, but when Bender talks about a 100' drop, everyone bashes him :think:

Sorry, I had to bring it up.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
preppie said:
Damn, 121 feet to flat.
Immagine how many pinkbike feet that is

BigMike said:
Anyone else think its funny that when Rennie does a 121' gap, people on here are all about it, but when Bender talks about a 100' drop, everyone bashes him
Droping 100 vertical feet is quite a bit different. Although I don't doubt that Rennie had quite a forcefull landing, Its nowhere near that which Bender will feel if he does the 100 footer.

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
That's b/c Bender rides for ****. Rennie can jump, DH, 4X, and Huck 20 time better then Bender. One's a circus side show, and the other is a seasoned professional, theres a big difference. I can try a 100 ft huck with the exact same results as Bender. Just b/c he's stupid enough to try it does not mean that he should get credit for being a good rider.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
RATM said:
That's b/c Bender rides for ****. Rennie can jump, DH, 4X, and Huck 20 time better then Bender. One's a circus side show, and the other is a seasoned professional, theres a big difference. I can try a 100 ft huck with the exact same results as Bender. Just b/c he's stupid enough to try it does not mean that he should get credit for being a good rider.
Really, me and my brother were at Snowmass one day this summer, during the week, and Bender was the only other person out there in a DH bike throwing giant "nothings" over the big double at the end of the 4x track. He didnt look very "side show" to me. i think you read pinkbike/ internet too much.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Damn..separated shoulder...lots of clicks, pops and awkward movement for years to come. My question is....what was his "dollars to death" quotient for trying it? As in, how much was he paid to risk crushing his spine and dying.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
kidwoo said:
Bender has nowhere near the resume that rennie has. Nor the skill at handling a bicycle.
And yet he still didn't make it...

kidwoo said:
I'd actually "expect" rennie to make it.
I would have expected him to make it too... since he was only going 5 feet further than what some dude did on a BMX bike.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dammit, why'd you guys have to bring Bender up? Now the thread is going to degenerate into, "Bender sux0rs!#%#@" "No, Bender rulez!!!one1!!".

kidwoo said:
He still gets bragging rights when he's sitting around the pub slugging beer..........which is really all that matters.
This is true. But when some belligerent drunk up and challanges him to prove it, he can't whip out the Guinness Book and show the guy. So he's gonna have to pound the rest of his beer, set up some ramps and have Bubba in a pickup truck do a tow-in. Of course, Bubba is drunk too, and spies Sarah-Jane bending over to pick up her can of dip, whereupon he he forgets that he's got Rennie-on-a-Rope (anyone remember Soap on a Rope?) behind him. He proceeds to stop the truck, hoping to get in a little dipping action of his own (if you know what I mean), and Rennie goes careening past him at sixty miles per hour (or Fosters-per-wallabe, which is what they use for measuring speed in Australia). Of course, who wears their DOT-approved Troy Lee helmet when they're at the bar? So Rennie ends up dead, his legacy reduced to a bloody smear on the side of the bar, and Bubba strikes out.

I think this is a clear cut case of murder-by-neglect on the part of Guinness. The book, not the beer.

FFAT

Monkey
Oct 2, 2005
San Diego
Slugman said:
Had this been Bender (with the same results) just imagine all the negative comments...
Sluggy... you're right about that...

Just stoked Rennie oright. He's the effin man!

orale... :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Slugman said:
And yet he still didn't make it...

I would have expected him to make it too... since he was only going 5 feet further than what some dude did on a BMX bike.
True.

Rennie suxxors!!!onewonwonone11

My point was that the ensuing comments you indicated would be warranted in JB's case because it's the norm and not so much for nathan's. What's yours?

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
whoever says Bender cant ride is a ****ing idiot, everyone doesnt just huck 20 footers when they first ride a mountain bike, look at wade simmons he started with a hardtail and made his was up with experience and skill

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
kidwoo said:
True.

Rennie suxxors!!!onewonwonone11

My point was that the ensuing comments you indicated would be warranted in JB's case because it's the norm and not so much for nathan's. What's yours?
That the same people who knock Bender for his stuff, based on him crashing all the time, are waiting in line to praise Rennie when he tried something… even when the results are the same.

I was just pointing out hypocrisy...

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
Transcend said:
It doesn't matter who would win, because as soon as Kovarik heard there wa sa fight going on, he'd come in and kick both of their asses.
I don't know. I think Kovarik would probably just kick Benders ass and then call it a day. He definitely does not like huckers.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
just got word from a friend,...i guess rennie over jumped to flat and blew up....from what i hear he hurt his shoulder and got a concussion...but walked away. thats all i know. so for all the guys who say it ain't so big my third- brothers- cousins- wifes- dog jumped- farther on a snowshovel....the record is still unofficial and out there to get.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BC VAN said:
just got word from a friend,...i guess rennie over jumped to flat and blew up....from what i hear he hurt his shoulder and got a concussion...but walked away. thats all i know. so for all the guys who say it ain't so big my third- brothers- cousins- wifes- dog jumped- farther on a snowshovel....the record is still unofficial and out there to get.

Yes, we all got word of that from a friend also, its called the internet. You should try it sometime. Here, we use these things called browsers. On these Browsers there is a scroll bar, usually to the right. We can use this Scroll Bar to scroll up, and READ THE SECOND AND THIRD F***ING POSTS IN THIS THREAD!