Quantcast

So I've decided to become Republican...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
pterodactyl said:
A lot of poeple say the war is BS and we should look at our foreign policy/ how we have wronged these people. I have not spent any time w/ Al Qaida to see what they think. Any of you? Is it possible that they just merely have the same hatred for us that the Klan has for blacks or the Nazis had for Jews? We know they are intelligent, is it possible in their attempts to tear all christians down, they claim that it is our foreign policy that has wronged them? We know it's not Bush because they also attacked while Clinton was in office. Is it possible that "infidel" = "nigger"="kike"="cracker" to them? No offense. Just throwing the idea out there.
Here is the problem. You're assuming that the war on Iraq was an action against al-Qaeda. It wasn't. It may be now, but that is cold comfort to innocent Iraqis caught in the crossfire.

As far as the infidel thing, that may be true for some. But, what are you going to do? Kill every Muslim? I don't want to turn into the monster I'm fighting...

One more thing: Just because Bin Laden uses US foreign policy as an excuse for the 9/11 attacks doesn't validate our foreign policy in the mideast. It is possible that our policy is bad and the excuse is bad, right?

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I have the utmost respect for the soldiers in Iraq. I believe the men and women with weapons in hand don't want to harm non combatants and they do a remarkable job in this regard.

However, 'collateral damage' is a reality of all warfare. When the commander in chief declares war they are condemning innocents to death. It doesn't matter how skilled the soldiers are, it will happen. Deciding whether the war is worth the cost should be the most difficult decision a president ever makes in their lifetime.

My problem with the current administration is the absolute disregard for human life. Bush was waiting for the opportunity to go to war. We know he was planning to invade Iraq all along, he just happened to get the opportunity in 2003.

In addition the administration takes no responsibility for collateral damage (read: DEAD FAMILIES OF INNOCENT HUMAN BEINGS). A soldier shoots and kills a deaf guy cause he won't respond to verbal warnings to stop. Who gets blamed? No one, it was unavoidable, the soldier needs to be careful or he won't last long. A Pilot drops a bomb, the guidance system fails and hits a hospital. No ones fault, it can't be helped right? I hold the administration responsible for putting these people in the position to kill innocents. The administration is responsible for the death of innocents and ruining the lives of the guilt ridden soldiers.

Being pro-life means using restraint with the most powerful military the world has ever known. Robert E. Lee said "It is well that war is so terrible, lest we grow too fond of it." I'm sure Bush sleeps just fine at night.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
fluff said:
You're kidding me, right? I would elaborate but I see you've been shown the error of your ways on this one. Sheesh.
i said i didnt agree with this conflict if you read an earlier post

having said that name another engagement or government where a country goes through the lengths the US does to prevent collateral damage.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
ghostrider said:
Dude, you are preaching to the wrong person. I've already stated I'm anti-abortion. I have no misconceptions about what an abortion is. BUT, interestingly, before the birth of my child, I was very much pro-abortion. I didn't give a crap and I didn't understand child development. I came out of the whole thing with a much clearer picture in my mind of what the pregnancy process is, the stages of development, what a child is. I think the process of abortion is a horrible reality of our society. On the other hand, my wife used to be very much against abortion. After our first child was born, I was surprised that our positions had reversed. What's my point? The WOMAN who actually has faced pregnancy and childbirth feels that she wants to retain the right to make the choices, NOW THAT SHE HAS GONE THROUGH IT HERSELF. It is clear to me THAT MYSELF OR ANYBODY ELSE IS NOT IN THE POSITION TO MAKE THAT CHOICE. It is just that simple. When you are pregnant, you can come back and spout off about it.

um i believe i was fairly calm about this i dont believe i 'spouted' at any point

if, by extension, i cannot comment, or have an opinion about abortion because i lack the hardware, that sort of leaves you s h i t out of luck yourself does it not?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
PsychO!1 said:
'Forced' to go the other side of world to adopt???
Are trying to tell me there are no children up for adoption in the US...they're all being aborted??

edit: I beleive these people have 'choosen' to adopt from thrid world countries, they were not forced.
alright perhaps forced was a strong word, lets say it became the most viable option, as adoption is OBSCENELY difficult compared the simplicity of abortion

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
"And as for helping single mom's...hell I'm NOT republican and am all for scaling back the welfare system. Yes, helping those in need is important, but far too many people simply see it as a hand out...a way to sit on their asses watching their big screen rather then get a job. It isn't just in the US either, i see it just as much here in Canada."
Posted by transcend

I agree. Case in point, the post n8 made a few days back about no residents who have evacuated, and are spending money on booze. go figure.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
ridetoofast said:
i said i didnt agree with this conflict if you read an earlier post

having said that name another engagement or government where a country goes through the lengths the US does to prevent collateral damage.
As others have pointed out, avoiding the engagement is one good way of avoiding killing civilians (lets call a spade a spade). Plenty of other governments avoid such unnecessary engagements.

When it comes to other nations' militaries avoiding killing civilians why don't you tell me who is worse. I expect the list will not be particularly long or illustrious.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
pterodactyl said:
Abortion...I never could figure out how people have the time and why they make the effort to picket somewhere. Don't they work? I have opinions about things, but I have a job to go to. Why do people care what other people do? As long as you don't F**k w/ me and the ones I love, I don't care if you are going to terminate your pregnancy. Who's business is it of yours anyhow? And yes, I have 2 daughters...3 1/2 and 6 months old.

Anyway one thing I have noticed...keeping in mind I consider myself moderate...is that the Liberals do a lot of whining and complaining, but never seem to offer an alternative solution. Solutions and compromise is needed a lot more from both groups of assholes.

Hmmm... I'm only half liberal and I find when I propose solutions, my conservative colleagues are intractably opposed to changing the status quo in any way other than increasing the punishment.

Want to fix Teen pregnancy? Real sex education, access to birth control, and adoptions for any unfortunate unwanted child.

Want to fix the increasing prison population? Drug treatment and counseling for minor drug offenders. Would pay for it's self in reduced prison costs.

Want to fix welfare? Job training/education and a sliding scale of benefits as people start to earn more, don't cut them off as soon as someone has their first job. The reduced burden on welfare would more than pay for the education.

Can't find someone to take those entry level positions? See the welfare fix.

Don't like abortions? See the teen pregnancy fix, and require birth control and sex ed counseling for after their abortion.

Want to fix repeat DUI's? Have an RFID chip in each drivers license, and cars that refuse to start without a proper license. Take away someones license when they are caught. Until all card have the system, require a breathalyzer and RFID sensor placed in every DUI offenders car, at their cost, before they are allowed to drive.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The best balance is to be conservative enough that your liberal friends think you are a nazi and be liberal enough that your conservative pals think you are a communist.

:evil:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
ridetoofast said:
um i believe i was fairly calm about this i dont believe i 'spouted' at any point

if, by extension, i cannot comment, or have an opinion about abortion because i lack the hardware, that sort of leaves you s h i t out of luck yourself does it not?
What are you talking about - my opinion is to leave the decision in the hands of the people who are faced with it.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Want to fix repeat DUI's? Have an RFID chip in each drivers license, and cars that refuse to start without a proper license. Take away someones license when they are caught. Until all card have the system, require a breathalyzer and RFID sensor placed in every DUI offenders car, at their cost, before they are allowed to drive.
Posted by reactor

Are you saying that you do not agree with some/all of these ideas? if your defending dui drivers, I think your nuts. I think after one dui arrest, the driver should have prison sentence. My friend from 4th grade thought so also- until he was run-down and killed last year by a speeding driver, under the influence, walking home after his car broke down on him. I think having these mods done to a driver's car who has been convicted of a dui is a good idea. Anything to keep them off the roads.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ridetoofast said:

once again, like yr bike store/gay cruising analogy, you thought you were being clever but it didn't turn out so.

It is clear to me THAT MYSELF OR ANYBODY ELSE IS NOT IN THE POSITION TO MAKE THAT CHOICE
let me guess...you weren't the 1st string on the debate team, were you?