Quantcast

so ive got these kick ass computer speakers

ArmySlowRdr

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
Killeen, TX
logitech makes some kick ass computer speakers. I just have the 90 buck at suckit city, 80 bucks at Sams and Walmart and 56$ bargain at the PX. They cant be as good as some of the 500$ Klipsch and other models out there---but ran through an audigy sound card---umm. time to crank some metal.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I got these a while back. I think they sound pretty good.

"Forget modesty, we really did it this time. The new Altec Lansing VS4221 speaker system is a stunner. Judge it by its specially engineered micro drivers that deliver crisp, clear highs. A down-firing 3" driver for a warm, uniform sound around the room. And, of course, the long-throw subwoofer that packs enough bass to register on the Richter scale.The result is a rich, robust sound that very few systems can match at any price. And just look at it! The Altec Lansing VS4221 system is sleek and beautiful. A pivoting stand allows you to orient the micro drivers so they direct sound straight to your ears. And a convenient wireless remote and caddy put the controls right at your finger tips. High performance. High class looks. The new Altec Lansing VS4221 system is the perfect package."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got the previous generation of those Altec Lansings and they do pretty well. My main gripe with them is the enormous "thump" the subwoofer makes when it shuts off. It's pretty irritating.

That 200W is probably measured at about 10% THD though so it's not really a good measurement. Still, if loud is what you want, I guess that does it :D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Any more speaker recommendations? My office is about 15' x 13' and I'd like to fill it with some high quality sound. Hoping to keep it around $200.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Logitech makes some great 5.1 stuff.

Check out Newegg.com for good deals and fast shipping.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Folks always comment how good my Cambridge Soundworks system sounds. It is 4 speaker and sub combo with a little preamp for like $90.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
Any more speaker recommendations? My office is about 15' x 13' and I'd like to fill it with some high quality sound. Hoping to keep it around $200.
5.1 or stereo?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I use powered reference monitors (nearfields)... computer speakers tend to color the sound way too much for me...

clearly more expensive, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dump said:
I use powered reference monitors (nearfields)... computer speakers tend to color the sound way too much for me...

clearly more expensive, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
You could always go for some decent entry-level headphones (Grado SR60 or SR80s for example) if you want accurate sound and don't need to share your audio with anyone else...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been looking at getting a set of studio monitors for a while but they're just too far out of my budget. So, I figure my computer speakers just aren't made for really accurate sound.

If you want accurate sound, get a nice set of headphones. Otherwise, those Logitechs that syadasti linked have pretty positive reviews.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Small stylish speakers (SoundStick II) = small sound with way less than full range and rip off pricetag...

1 inch drivers, 10 watt speakers = you can fill your whole cubicle with sound :rofl:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jacksonpt said:
Buy a legitimate stereo, run the audio (from a quality sound card) to said stereo.
Well, I do have about $5000 worth of stereo equippment in my living room, so I'm not anxious to go spend a whole lot more...computer speakers will have to do for now.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
syadasti said:
Small stylish speakers (SoundStick II) = small sound with way less than full range and rip off pricetag...

1 inch drivers, 10 watt speakers = you can fill your whole cubicle with sound :rofl:
Size isn't everything, but I am skeptical too.

Ok...well maybe size helps...

Attachments

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I love mine. Had it for several years now...great TV. Time to replace it soon though, I'm started to get frustrated with it now that movies all come in widescreen format, which makes the picture tiny on a 27". That, and I need HD for football this year...gone long enough without it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here you go, Sound and Vision's best rated TV for under $10000 USD (comes in 58 and 65" versions)

At Best Buy Canada for $3000 CDN

Not that it matters with the speakers you have, but it has a built in 35 watt subwoofer and 25x2 watt speakers. I setup one recently and it rocks as long as you don't see rainbows or don't mind them. I am the only person so far who can see them, but I don't see how that is possible :confused: The picture quality is awesome :thumb:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That thing is a monster! I'd probably go blind, my living room isn't that big.

A friend of mine works at an audio/video store so I can get a good discount through him...thinking of a 40" wall mounted LCD.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ridemonkey said:
That thing is a monster! I'd probably go blind, my living room isn't that big.

A friend of mine works at an audio/video store so I can get a good discount through him...thinking of a 40" wall mounted LCD.
I would go plasma if you want something in a wall mount. This year 1080p plasma sets are a lot more common.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
syadasti said:
I would go plasma if you want something in a wall mount. This year 1080p plasma sets are a lot more common.
Thought about plasma, but I plan on using it for a fair amount of gaming...and I've been known to leave them on so I'm worried about screen burn. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but LCDs are still cheaper, and the lighting in my living room is better suited for LCD.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You mean to say you don't have much light in your living room? Large screen LCDs cost more than large screen plasma, but it depends on how large you mean. I think at the size you want, the prices between each technology won't be too different.

They have plasma technologies for preventing screen burn-in now like imperceptible motion adaptive pixel rotation and reformulated plasma gas. Supposedly now they aren't any more sensitive to burn in than your CRT is.

Plasma has way better colors, contrast, and response time.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
syadasti said:

You're sitting at your computer playing a game or listening to music while working, how big and loud do your speakers need to be?

Soundsticks are perfect ya tool.

Maybe a huge speaker next to your head is preferable?

:clue:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I fell asleep on some huge ass speakers next to a couch at a club once, I guess I was tired :think:

Anyhow those soundsticks aren't going to even have the sound those Logitech computer speakers have with such small drivers and subwoofer.

Get over your mistake and weak unsigned reputation :nope:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
does your computer come w/ a neat remote?
Nope. But there are about eleventy-billion remotes on the market which, again, can be had for less than $300 ;)

The Squeezebox is a really slick device but it's a little bit of an expensive indulgence. Great if you don't mind paying the $300, but my M-Audio soundcard and optical cable cost me $70, so I've got a lot of budget there for a remote control if I want one ;).

It's all a moot point if your computer isn't near your stereo, though. Then you need a solution like that. I've got a laptop so I don't need a wireless transmitter.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, but if you want to use yr laptop for sitting on the couch, and still have it using an external sound card cabled into yr stereo, it's gonna be a tangled mess, no?

can you get a remote which actuates the music player of choice (ie, foobar for me) on a computer?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
Nope. But there are about eleventy-billion remotes on the market which, again, can be had for less than $300 ;)

The Squeezebox is a really slick device but it's a little bit of an expensive indulgence. Great if you don't mind paying the $300, but my M-Audio soundcard and optical cable cost me $70, so I've got a lot of budget there for a remote control if I want one ;).

It's all a moot point if your computer isn't near your stereo, though. Then you need a solution like that. I've got a laptop so I don't need a wireless transmitter.
You could just buy an Apple Airport Express for $125 if the Squeezebox is too steep.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
yeah, but if you want to use yr laptop for sitting on the couch, and still have it using an external sound card cabled into yr stereo, it's gonna be a tangled mess, no?
Tangled mess? Oh, you mean the single USB cable that runs into my stereo? And has enough slack that I can move anywhere I want in my living room? Okay, you got me, it's not wireless, but it's not tangled :p

can you get a remote which actuates the music player of choice (ie, foobar for me) on a computer?
Yes.

With the right software you can do whatever you want, just need an IR receiver to plug into your computer. Hell, you don't even need a special remote - plenty of software exists that will map whatever IR commands your remote generates to computer commands, so if you just have an old receiver remote or something kicking around, it'll work.

syad, there's a half dozen players that will do it.. Linksys and Dlink both make one as well, and some other companies.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Tangled mess? Oh, you mean the single USB cable that runs into my stereo? And has enough slack that I can move anywhere I want in my living room? Okay, you got me, it's not wireless, but it's not tangled :p
what about the power cord for the laptop, and the cable/cord for the external sound card?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
syad, there's a half dozen players that will do it.. Linksys and Dlink both make one as well, and some other companies.
Yeah just pointing out the most popular one (and one of the few that supports WPA)...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
what about the power cord for the laptop, and the cable/cord for the external sound card?
It's a laptop. It's battery powered. If I need a cable, well, that's fine - but that's just a short plug into the wall next to the sofa and I've never had it tangle or get in the way.

There are no other cables, the USB sound card is tucked away in my cabinet and remains permanently plugged into my stereo, just like the Squeezebox (except there's no extra power cable to be a tangled mess ;)). When I want to listen to it, I unroll the USB cable and plug it into my laptop, as I said. 10' USB cord means as much slack as I need.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ridemonkey said:
Thought about plasma, but I plan on using it for a fair amount of gaming...and I've been known to leave them on so I'm worried about screen burn. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but LCDs are still cheaper, and the lighting in my living room is better suited for LCD.
lcd are way more expensive than plasma as far as i remember from stores.
thought about a dlp? the picture in those is great.

i´ve got a 54" hdtv, and is not really that big. less than 2ft deep.about 5.5ft tall, and less than 5ft wide. and it has a little rack inside to put the dvd player, movies and lots of stuff.
a 50" wall mounted tv would occupy only like 4 sq less.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
With the right software you can do whatever you want, just need an IR receiver to plug into your computer. Hell, you don't even need a special remote - plenty of software exists that will map whatever IR commands your remote generates to computer commands, so if you just have an old receiver remote or something kicking around, it'll work.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t44288.html

:dead:

i think i'll either move out of my chair, or spend the $300 ;)