Quantcast

So MMike had a job interview a while back.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And I hijacked his thread with my own fun stuff.

So I should have a benefits summary and offer letter today. They know what I am making now and I know I'm a little rich for them on paper, but benefits and flexibility go a long way.

Perm, short commute, ground up implementation, all good things. Let's hope they don't cheap out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Accepted the offer, but waiting on a credit, background, education, and work history check. Damn. Said it takes 7-10 days. 5% 401K match, bonuses, education paid (finish my masters), short ass commute on the CX (6 miles door to door). Damn, I feel pretty good right now. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks, all!

congrats dude. maybe now you can have more time to finish your truck. :thumb:
No sh!t.

I just got my steering wheel last week. I am ordering a steering column next week and should have all the fab work done.

I am using the buttons on the wheel to control the air ride system.

This is only a mock up to see what it might look like with the new gauges.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Excellent.....I alas still have no offer
Sucks.

Mine was a little less than I wanted, but still above my minimum and there is a ton of growth. I am the formal lead engineer and it will be a blank canvas for automation, so I am stoked.

It's also in Java, so I get my flexibility back!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Congrats, jimmydean. :thumb:

I'm waiting for my own offer myself. UW and UCSD, two programs at each at which I have or will interview in the next/past few weeks.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm trying, I'm trying. I could potentially join Westy in the mecca of Seattle

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congratulations.

A friend of mine makes 200,000 a year. High level HR work. He was just offered a 400,000 a year job and turned it down! Wish I was offered nice jobs like that.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Gahd....why?

1) Vancouver is WAY WAY WAY nicer than Seattle. And I DO say that objectively. Anyone with working eyeballs can see that.

2) Traffic is just awful.
US practice $$$ >> Canadian practice $$$ and Jessica's family ties to the area are to blame. I totally agree about traffic. Careful planning of means and routes would be in order--light rail, bike, or bus all the way if at all possible.

In any case, even Seattle would be a huge step up from Long Island.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Portions of Seattle are undeniably nice, though. Most of Jessica's family is in West Seattle, which gets my seal of approval. Perhaps it only seems nice in juxtaposition with the horrible experience of getting there in the first place...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Westy is in Seattle? Holy crap!

I got an opening sent to me from Renton. I passed. :rofl:
I start driving west Tuesday morning. Spent the last two weeks riding my ass off back in central Va. I can see myself heading back here when done with school. Quality of life for someone who likes to pedal is astounding.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't know if you had decided to go back to school or not. Last I read you were still on the fence. So how long you out west for?

I am not a fan of Seattle. I have looked at moving a few times, but the traffic and the gloom is WAY worse than Portland. Plus there seems to be a lot more opportunity in software here. I do like to visit Seattle, though. It has a lot to offer.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I start driving west Tuesday morning. Spent the last two weeks riding my ass off back in central Va. I can see myself heading back here when done with school. Quality of life for someone who likes to pedal is astounding.
Well, you should come up north for a Shore pedal. Between frat parties, or course...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Portions of Seattle are undeniably nice, though. Most of Jessica's family is in West Seattle, which gets my seal of approval. Perhaps it only seems nice in juxtaposition with the horrible experience of getting there in the first place...
A giant Meh from me.

Of course we are in different stages of our lives. I like suburbs and kid friendly areas. There is NO SUCH THING as a proper suburb in Seattle. Not one that compares to where I'm living (and where I grew up).

Seattle was fine when I had no kids. But there's no way I'd trade what I have now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is that why you are constantly looking for a new job?
I get asked that all the time. I am not always looking, but the market is so hot right now there are lots of great spots. The only reason I interviewed for this position was the benefits aspects of being an ACTUAL employee rather than a temp.

Not that ANY job is permanent, but FTE has a lot more to offer. PTO is something I haven't had in a year.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I am in the greater Seattle area and might actually have time to ride this fall. Shoot me a PM when you get into town and settled.

A giant Meh from me.

Of course we are in different stages of our lives. I like suburbs and kid friendly areas. There is NO SUCH THING as a proper suburb in Seattle. Not one that compares to where I'm living (and where I grew up).

Seattle was fine when I had no kids. But there's no way I'd trade what I have now.
There are plenty of suburbs that are kid friendly if you're not in Seattle proper. I live in one. With a kid. :shocked:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I get asked that all the time. I am not always looking, but the market is so hot right now there are lots of great spots. The only reason I interviewed for this position was the benefits aspects of being an ACTUAL employee rather than a temp.

Not that ANY job is permanent, but FTE has a lot more to offer. PTO is something I haven't had in a year.
I miss this the most. :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am in the greater Seattle area and might actually have time to ride this fall. Shoot me a PM when you get into town and settled.

There are plenty of suburbs that are kid friendly if you're not in Seattle proper. I live in one. With a kid. :shocked:
Will do. I will have a few weeks out there before classes start. I want to get familiar with as many rides as I can before life gets hectic.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
A giant Meh from me.

Being in Seattle would mean that Jessica's mom and many aunts would be a ready-made, free babysitting network... :thumb: Not that we have that problem to worry about yet.

If I had my druthers but was confined to the Seattle metro then I'd consider going east towards the foothills. It'd be nice to have some land, a Kubota tractor, and spare time to just play around with it, maybe clear some brush GWB-style :D