Quantcast

So Mr. Dirt sells (sold) stems

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yes Bob Barnett did sell stems. They're called the Wild Thing, and it was one TALL mofo. I have one I'm thinking about using on my Azonic Recoil project. But paired on a Monster T2, it's just TOO tall.
Mr Dirt also made forks, FAT (full adjust. travel) that uses shim stack for damping (have 1.5 of those too :D)

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Pau11y said:
Yes Bob Barnett did sell stems. They're called the Wild Thing, and it was one TALL mofo. I have one I'm thinking about using on my Azonic Recoil project. But paired on a Monster T2, it's just TOO tall.
Mr Dirt also made forks, FAT (full adjust. travel) that uses shim stack for damping (have 1.5 of those too :D)
Of course I knew about the fork... My friend had one. Get some pictures up.

But back to the questions:

Anyway didn't some company buy out Mr. Dirt and will start making some chainguides like the gizmo but better or something?

And what about UK based company Mojo with their Mr. Dirt like fork???

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
wydopen said:
that was the worst chainguide ive ever owned
never lost a chain with mine... noisy, for sure... but 'worst chainguide' - hardly... :blah:

mine got pounded on korean rocks, muddy with austrian slop and slashed over german roots... still worked like a dream...

infact, i still think it is better in mud than an e13... let the flaming begin...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DH biker said:
Of course I knew about the fork... My friend had one. Get some pictures up.

But back to the questions:

Anyway didn't some company buy out Mr. Dirt and will start making some chainguides like the gizmo but better or something?

And what about UK based company Mojo with their Mr. Dirt like fork???
Sorry man, I tried to edit my post, but my browser went nutz and I lost all the edits.
Anyway, from what I've heard via Bob himself is Mojo bought the design. And from what Mojo told me, they're making that fork a closed fork w/ nitro charged legs. I'm not sure about the shim stacks anymore either. The only thing that can be used (their words - wrote them asking about spare parts for the old FAT fork) on the old fork was the crowns. The legs are changing to 20mm instead of the weird 17mm of the old forks. I also think I heard the bushings and seals will be different, but not 100% on this. That's all I have.

Edit: you want a pic of the stem?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Pau11y said:
Sorry man, I tried to edit my post, but my browser went nutz and I lost all the edits.
Anyway, from what I've heard via Bob himself is Mojo bought the design. And from what Mojo told me, they're making that fork a closed fork w/ nitro charged legs. I'm not sure about the shim stacks anymore either. The only thing that can be used (their words - wrote them asking about spare parts for the old FAT fork) on the old fork was the crowns. The legs are changing to 20mm instead of the weird 17mm of the old forks. I also think I heard the bushings and seals will be different, but not 100% on this. That's all I have.

Edit: you want a pic of the stem?
Sure.
Mr. Dirt = One of those cool companies you want to know all about. Friend Had the Quad Bypass fork--- I think that is what it was called--- Overall it was a pretty good fork just too hard tofind parts for. tried to contact Bob, "This # is no longer in service" etc. I really would like to see mojo make a gizmo chainguide again though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I liked the Mr.Dirt chainguide. I had one on my 2000 Giant ATX DH-Team and it never let me down!

I've always wanted one of those forks but I heard it was crazy heavy.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DH biker said:
Sure.
Mr. Dirt = One of those cool companies you want to know all about. Friend Had the Quad Bypass fork--- I think that is what it was called--- Overall it was a pretty good fork just too hard tofind parts for. tried to contact Bob, "This # is no longer in service" etc. I really would like to see mojo make a gizmo chainguide again though.
Bob is under Arc levers now: arclevers.com I think. From the last I heard, he sold all his back stock to Mojo as well. What does your friend need?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
He sold the fork as is. It needed something inside it; new springs as well and stuff like that. So Bob moved into the dirtbike business...
I wonder if mojo will make anything of what he got rid of?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
I know its an old thread, but if you need spares, www.mojo.co.uk will take care of you, thats what they told me when i contacted them before i bought my own FAT fork, and its still what they told me a while back when i needed new springs and such too.

so no problem there.

Apr 12, 2005
MA
I'm gravedigging this again, but grimm, when I contacted mojo last spring/summer, they told me that they had sidelined the production of the new fork do to the buisness they were getting from the fox 40.

They told me I would need to wait a while for new stuff, and that they could not guarentee that they would have any replacement parts for my fork.

If I knew I could have gotten the parts I needed, I may have kept it. I loved that thing.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got a Mr. Dirt Stem stashed away in my spare parts bin. They came in a low, medium and really tall version. It also has 3 pinch bolts for steer tube, so it is really hard to get twisted.

Definitely the coolset stem I've every had.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Nice...
Too bad Mr. Dirt still doesn't make the stems.

Also on the chainguides... any word on any companies that were going to use the desgin such as MOJO? Why don't they make the guide? Any ones with cool rollers anymore (I'm not a fan or MRP and the e-thirten guide only works on certain setting for my big hit).

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I have to answer my own question...
The Gizmo G2 is set to come out sometime in Feburary and it will be avaible in a few different colors come that time...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
DH biker said:
I have to answer my own question...
The Gizmo G2 is set to come out sometime in Feburary and it will be avaible in a few different colors come that time...

Meh, I just painted mine.

PROBLEM SOLVED

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
go-ride.com said:
I'm not sure if I could put a price on a piece of art like that. :love:
True true.

Let me know you change your mind. I'm having a problem with stems slipping on my dj bike. I don't think that would be an issue with one of those things from the looks of 'em.

Maybe I could "adopt it". Send you photos and updates of all the new tricks it learns every month?

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
it came with my bike, and my bike was in interbike demo ride. so far it's been prefict.

i also got the new fsa gravity cranks and the fancy sram casset with the red ano spider (it's so sexy).

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
very lovely bike dude.

i had a couple gizmo's
they got way better when the rollers upgraded to bearings. i think i still have some kits laying around.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
go-ride.com said:
I'm not sure if I could put a price on a piece of art like that. :love:

i saw one go on ebay cheep.

i was going to bid just to have ANOTHER ONE! l ololol

my dirt jump bike has a high one.

it will never die.