Quantcast

So my dad told me.....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
For those of you in the "get school out of the way" camp, unless you plan on going to grad school after your year off, good luck finding a job when you get back. Expect the search to take around a year, all while working some crap job to make ends meet. Usually your senior year of college is spent finishing up course work and searching for a job, interviewing, etc. I don't know many people willing to hire somebody who isn't going to be around for a year and you can't very well look for a job while you are in a foreign country. In addition, during school you will probably make some good contacts, contacts that you will probably loose if you let them slide for a year.

I would plan on going before you start college, or try to go during summer breaks. 3 months a year for 4 years = 1 year abroad and way you can try different places.

I waited a year to get a job and I don't think it affected me, IMO. I still think going during summer or taking a term/semester abroad is a better route

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I waited a year to get a job and I don't think it affected me, IMO. I still think going during summer or taking a term/semester abroad is a better route
Yeah, I'm sure it depends largely on your field and the job market at the time. I forgot about study abroad programs. Those are great, especially if you can get somebody else to pay for it, i.e. a scholarship.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Another option to consider is getting a part time job while overseas. I have heard of (but never bothered to investigate) a type of visa that's referred to as a "jobbing visa." This visa is designed for younger folks looking to gain some life experience in a foreign country and then return home after half a year or some set period of time.

While working might not sound like such a great time, there is one big advantage. You will have the ability to really get to know the region that you are visiting much better.

For example, a week in Brussels, a week in A-dam, two days in Ghent and weekend in Brugges doesn't really give you great insight into Benelux. Working for 6 months in Antwerp and using that as a homebase for travels throughout Benelux, France, Spain, Germany, etc would really let you soak things in a little better.

As for the type of job and what it pays, who cares? If your old man is footing the bill, it's not like you are going to need the money anyway?

Having been more or less a gypsy for my entire life, I have a little of that 20/20 hindsight to share...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
I talked to one of my moms friends who was on the admissions board at Princeton and he told me that they're making 25% of incoming freshman take a year off because kids just aren't ready for college. He told me to ask the person who interviews me if they support kids taking a year off and than going to school and he said that most schools will support that now days. So I still have plenty of time to think about this but I think I'll apply to schools and than take a year off.

DamoDH, my dads friend has a chalet near Les Gets that he's offered to me, how close is morzine to that?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I talked to one of my moms friends who was on the admissions board at Princeton and he told me that they're making 25% of incoming freshman take a year off because kids just aren't ready for college.

WTF?!

That's the dumbest ****ing **** I've ever heard. That's the high schools' fault for not teaching/preparing kids, or the kids' fault for being ****ing morons.

Yea, taking a year off, partying like an animal and doing stupid **** is going to magically prepare you for college.....

Un-fvcking-real. SO GLAD I'm 2 months away from this education bull****.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Take the year off before college.
If you do it right, college flows seamlessly into your career and life with internships and contacts. Once you get it going, it's hard to stop.

I'd love to take time off now but with a dog, a mortage, and a truck payment, it aint gonna happen.

Take the year off now.

Ideas:
Chase the snow across south america
Spend a winter in New Zealand, Oz, Thailand, etc

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
WTF?!

That's the dumbest ****ing **** I've ever heard. That's the high schools' fault for not teaching/preparing kids, or the kids' fault for being ****ing morons.

Yea, taking a year off, partying like an animal and doing stupid **** is going to magically prepare you for college.....

Un-fvcking-real. SO GLAD I'm 2 months away from this education bull****.
There is some truth to that. Colleges don't want kids with no life experience.
My ex-roommate was the perfeect student and got rejected from med school because he had only ever been in school. After a year of working and volunteering, he got into The Mayo Clinic.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Pipe down, I took a year off and it was the best decision of my life. Toured the USA for a month and then lived in Jackson, WY. You learn a lot making 6 bucks an hour and eating spaghetti every night. Came back east after and took classes for a semester and then went full time @ UVM. So funny, everyone of my friends parents were deeply concerned about me not going to college (the old "if you don't go now, you never will" is BS. I was more prepared, more mature, and overall a better person after a year off (and 90 days on the hill that winter) Take a year and travel everywhere you can, I highly reccomend NZ. Good Luck!!!

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
It's not just partying the schools will put you in some community service program abroad for 2 months and you can do whatever you want with the next 10.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I like the 2-3 months travelling the world every summer between classes idea.

Do that. For one thing, it'll keep you fresh for school and then you can focus those summer in a specific area. Like one summer in S.America, another down-under, one in southern Europe, one in northern Eupope.

I'm glad I have traveled as mucha s I have.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I guess it all depends on who you are. I knew early on (sophomore year in HS, probably earlier) that I wanted to be an engineer, and wanted to get done with school ASAP so I could do REAL work with the things I learned, and here I am, 3 months away from graduation, with a great job all lined up, just waiting.

So, I guess there's two groups of people, those who know what they want, and those who don't. I've always been in the first group, so when I hear about people taking time off, or being undeclared majors senior year in college, it just confuses me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sorry for the explosion above. :poster_oops: