Quantcast

So my dad told me.....

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
That if I wanted to take a year off after high school he would help me with what ever I wanted to do with that year I just had to get out of CT and the US. I'm pretty stoked about the idea because I figure I'm either going to figure out what I want to do with my life, find a place I really like and want to live, or die from sleep deprevation. Any suggestions on what I should do?

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
I plan on going to college, I just think it would be fun to take a year off and figure out what I want to do.

EDIT: I'm thinking about going to whistler, swiss alps, southern france, UK, NZ, australia, and Germany.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I took a year off after high school. I only remember a little of it, though.

I was 17 when I finished high school and I wasn't ready for college yet. After my year off, I took a few classes, but never got back in the groove. I joined the Navy the next year.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Go to college, then do the year off and screw around Europe.

Not only cuz you'll get your degree, but more importantly, you will definitely enjoy Europe/whatever a great deal more at 22-23yo than you will at 18. Just sayin'.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Yeah this all came from me refusing to look at colleges in CT because I want to get as far away from this boring state as I can.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I say bounce around east Asia.

Get away from wherever people speak English, live on the beach surfing/scuba diving for a year.

Asian girls rock, and you can live like a king for pretty cheap.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I took a year off DURING high school. Mostly to get my head screwed on straight, and get off the weed....

Anyhow, I agree with L'Opie. Get school out of the way. I suggest you get a trade. Then travel, you may find your dream job/home/trail...

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
as long as you don't go to some bible thumping college ANY university your freshman year will be awesome. Filled with whores, booze, and life lessons... THe best year of my life was freshman year of college.
Go to school take time off after...

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I would say take the time off. I went straight to college, bombed some classes my first year, and am going to a community college until I figure out what I want to do. It's hell. I am seriously considering taking some time off, working, biking, and trying to come up with some sort of plan for the rest of my life.....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah this all came from me refusing to look at colleges in CT because I want to get as far away from this boring state as I can.
Hate to break it to you, buddy, but it ain't the state that's boring (zing!). Seriously, though, almost everyone thinks it's boring where they grew up, but (amazingly) there are people living there who are perfectly happy.

And there are at least a few good schools in CT....

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I would say take the time off. I went straight to college, bombed some classes my first year, and am going to a community college until I figure out what I want to do. It's hell. I am seriously considering taking some time off, working, biking, and trying to come up with some sort of plan for the rest of my life.....
Go to school, and don't be like this guy.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
As someone who has done a fair bit of traveling I can honestly say that your dad has just given you the greatest gift he can. Getting out and experiencing the world and all it has to offer will really open your eyes to what else is out there beyond the strip malls and gated communities that breed ignorance and apathy.

When you travel you learn how insulated we are in the US. Most europeans, canadians, and austrailians will take a "skip year" between high school and college to go and live and work in another country for a year. And just the level of experience and worldly knowledge you gain from just a year abroad is INVALUABLE. I'm seriously jealous. DO IT. College can wait. Just ask any 25 year old person who has been to college and I'm willing to say 80% of them are working in a field that has nothing to do with their major. Hell I got a degree in Computer Engineering and I'm a firefighter.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN

Not only cuz you'll get your degree, but more importantly, you will definitely enjoy Europe/whatever a great deal more at 22-23yo than you will at 18. Just sayin'.
this is very good advice.....ive only been in college for a short time, and so far EVERYONE in know that has 'taken a year off' to work or travel, has not returned.....and probably wont.....

not to say that it isnt possible....which it most certainly i isnt!.....but unless you are totally confident in your will power to come back and follow through with a degree, i would say wait.....

but what do i know....nothin' wrong with have'n a little fun!:biggrin::happydance::banana:

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
I took a year off DURING high school. Mostly to get my head screwed on straight, and get off the weed....

Anyhow, I agree with L'Opie. Get school out of the way. I suggest you get a trade. Then travel, you may find your dream job/home/trail...
yup yup. go to school now, while your still retaining the info from hs. If you take a year off, youre gonna forget a lot of stuff and it will make school a whole he!! of a lot harder

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
College sucks, and so does life afterwards. I recommend you take all the money you would have spent and invest it in hard core intravenous drugs.

I plan on going to college, I just think it would be fun to take a year off and figure out what I want to do.

EDIT: I'm thinking about going to whistler, swiss alps, southern france, UK, NZ, australia, and Germany.
If I was going to do the travel thing under the same circumstances, I'd modify the list to maybe the Big Island, New Zealand and Australia. Take the time to spend some time.

In terms of figuring out what you want to do in life, you'll be better off working than partying.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
As someone who has done a fair bit of traveling I can honestly say that your dad has just given you the greatest gift he can. Getting out and experiencing the world and all it has to offer will really open your eyes to what else is out there beyond the strip malls and gated communities that breed ignorance and apathy.

When you travel you learn how insulated we are in the US. Most europeans, canadians, and austrailians will take a "skip year" between high school and college to go and live and work in another country for a year. And just the level of experience and worldly knowledge you gain from just a year abroad is INVALUABLE. I'm seriously jealous. DO IT. College can wait. Just ask any 25 year old person who has been to college and I'm willing to say 80% of them are working in a field that has nothing to do with their major. Hell I got a degree in Computer Engineering and I'm a firefighter.
I like this reply.

You will have a blast in Europe. If you are a keen rider, head this way to Morzine, or any of the resorts in the Portes du Soleil area. This place is huge and there is so much riding and skiing to be done.

Spend some time travelling. You may not get this opportunity again. Your dad sounds like a good man. Remember to thank him when you get back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Have fun.

A year gives your parents plenty of time to disappear while you are gone.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If I had those options I would go to one of the following; South of France, Spain, or Italy. Actually maybe Chile or Costa Rica as well.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Go enjoy the world on your dad's dime.

College can wait a year.

On a side note: What is it with this country and the phobia of not going to college? What is the matter with being a tradesman? So many folks b!tch about corporate life, cubicles, dumb managers and dumber meetings, but none of the whiners would actually ever consider working a trade.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Hate to break it to you, buddy, but it ain't the state that's boring (zing!). Seriously, though, almost everyone thinks it's boring where they grew up, but (amazingly) there are people living there who are perfectly happy.

And there are at least a few good schools in CT....
Well I grew up in NorCal so I know for a fact there's a much more exciting place than CT.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm in the go to college camp. I knew some people that took time off after high school and some that took time off after their freshman year of college, none returned to school. College is a life experience, and I thought it was a lot of fun. If you want to travel, some schools offer programs where you can transfer to a school in Europe for a term or two

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

I agree. I spent a month in Europe right after High School, then went back after my under grad. I had not as much time, so much more fun and thought of a million things I would have done with that month if I had it back.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
For those of you in the "get school out of the way" camp, unless you plan on going to grad school after your year off, good luck finding a job when you get back. Expect the search to take around a year, all while working some crap job to make ends meet. Usually your senior year of college is spent finishing up course work and searching for a job, interviewing, etc. I don't know many people willing to hire somebody who isn't going to be around for a year and you can't very well look for a job while you are in a foreign country. In addition, during school you will probably make some good contacts, contacts that you will probably loose if you let them slide for a year.

I would plan on going before you start college, or try to go during summer breaks. 3 months a year for 4 years = 1 year abroad and way you can try different places.